why are Berlin's airports so backwards?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

why are Berlin's airports so backwards?

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2016, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by CMK10
Maybe it's because I'm from the US where our public transportation to airports is so limited, but I didn't mind the options at TXL. The buses ran frequently to the nearby S-Bahn, even on Sunday mornings. I was happy enough with the setup, it was no worse than BUD for example.
The really good thing is that there are multiple bus routes. One route goes to the main train station and on to Unter den Linden and Alexanderplatz in the old East.

Another bus line goes to the old Zoo station, perfect if you are staying in the West. And all busses have countless connections to the S-bahn, U-bahn and tram networks.

Crowning touch is that an A/B unlimited ticket only costs €7 - a tremendous value.

Last edited by Non-NonRev; May 31, 2016 at 7:59 pm
Old May 31, 2016, 9:10 pm

Programs: Marriott titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AS, UA, AA, TWA, PAN AM, PSA
After WW2, the capital of Germany was Bonn, not Berlin. They moved it back to Berlin after the wall came down. When the wall was up and Berlin was a divided city there was limited air travel in and out of Berlin so a larger airport wasn't necessary. I think the only three airlines with regular scheduled flights in and out of West Berlin were Air France, British Airways, and Pan Am. When I lived there in the late eighties, Air Berlin was a small airline that flew charter flights to beach resorts in Southern Europe. I do like the fact that TXL is a short and inexpensive cab ride to the city.
Old May 31, 2016, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by Uh Clem
After WW2, the capital of Germany was Bonn, not Berlin. They moved it back to Berlin after the wall came down. When the wall was up and Berlin was a divided city there was limited air travel in and out of Berlin so a larger airport wasn't necessary. I think the only three airlines with regular scheduled flights in and out of West Berlin were Air France, British Airways, and Pan Am. When I lived there in the late eighties, Air Berlin was a small airline that flew charter flights to beach resorts in Southern Europe. I do like the fact that TXL is a short and inexpensive cab ride to the city.
Also TWA in the 80s, from/to BRU (no TATL).
Old Jun 1, 2016, 12:38 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
"Backwards" is subjective.

I find TXL having check-in, security and immigration at the gate to be the opposite of "backwards".

If they wanted to renovate the place a bit it could be very nice. It could remain as Berlin's equivalent of LCY even when the big airport is finally ready. The only thing it could use is some travelators/moving walkways and perhaps a small redesign of the C terminal.

There's no need for a train when you can get the X9 one stop to the U-bahn (though a bit annoying if you have large luggage), whch runs from 0400 to 0100 or thereabouts, and the buses operate 24 hours a day too.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by :D!
though a bit annoying if you have large luggage
Donīt know if Iīm the only one but with large luggage I never travel via public Transport. Even a long distance train in Germany is a Problem if there are no real secure storage places for the luggage. So distance airport - city and costs for a taxi are more important for me
Old Jun 3, 2016, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by :D!
"Backwards" is subjective.

I find TXL having check-in, security and immigration at the gate to be the opposite of "backwards".

If they wanted to renovate the place a bit it could be very nice. It could remain as Berlin's equivalent of LCY even when the big airport is finally ready. The only thing it could use is some travelators/moving walkways and perhaps a small redesign of the C terminal.

There's no need for a train when you can get the X9 one stop to the U-bahn (though a bit annoying if you have large luggage), whch runs from 0400 to 0100 or thereabouts, and the buses operate 24 hours a day too.
As I mentioned above, while TXL remaining open would be very sensible, the politicians preemptively killed that idea. 7-8 years ago or so politicians didn't think they could justify the construction of BER if there was another airport open in Berlin. Air travel has expanded in a way those guys didn't anticipate back then. It's quite funny actually how opponents of BER went from "it's too big, it's based on delusions of grandeur" to "it's gonna be too small anyway" in that time frame.

The fact TXL's closure is predetermined and unchangeable (barring major upheaval in government) means that everything done at the airport in the last decade was designed to be a temporary and cheap solution (why invest majorly in an airport that's toast anyway?). That's why TXL now looks like the ultimate jerry-rigged airport and they were never going to increase public transport options beyond buses.

The question why TXL wasn't connected to a train network when it was first built is an interesting one though. It's easy to see why the S-Bahn wasn't involved - given the S-Bahn was run by the East German state and they were hardly going to invest in expansion in West Berlin. Why they didn't extend the U-Bahn there is another question. It was planned but never done. Perhaps they simply didn't realize how important air travel would become.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.