Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Taxi from Berlin Tegel with infant car seat?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2016, 9:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat Premier, HHonors Gold

We're flying into Tegel in a few weeks and have a 9-month old in tow. I wanted to know how difficult it would be to get a cab with an infant car seat without having to reserve one specifically in advance?
Old May 14, 2016, 1:22 am

My feeling is that it would be rather difficult. I've seen a few cabs that had booster seats for older kids, but an infant seat is something we always brought along when we still needed it.

Last edited by Alex71; May 14, 2016 at 8:44 am
Old May 14, 2016, 3:54 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by neos
I wanted to know how difficult it would be to get a cab with an infant car seat without having to reserve one specifically in advance?
Exactly 0. Most taxi drivers can't afford to carry around one of those humongous infant car seats in the back. Where would the luggage otherwise go? Best to bring your own.

There are exemptions for taxi drivers concerning securing small children. Unfortunately that means, that very few taxis have seats to accommodate their smallest passengers. Given that it is even really difficult to book a taxi with a seat in advance, I would bring your own along. Saves you a lot of trouble with usually grumpy drivers.

Last edited by WorldLux; May 14, 2016 at 4:02 am
Old May 14, 2016, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

It will be impossible to bring along our own car seat.

I can't believe there really is no other option than to rent a car?
Old May 15, 2016, 3:43 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
It will be impossible to bring along our own car seat.

I can't believe there really is no other option than to rent a car?
Depending on how long you're going to spend in Berlin, you might consider buying a second one, that you can either reuse after your trip or resell. Usually you can bring a car seat for kids or/and a stroller in addition to your usual hand luggage at no extra charge.
Old May 15, 2016, 5:06 am

Depending on where exactly you need to go, public transport might also be an option.

Sure, a taxi would be more comfortable than a bus or train ride, but at least you wouldn't have to worry about a car seat.
Old May 15, 2016, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
No train at Tegel, only busses.

It depends on the amount of luggage. Carrying bags AND a small child on a moving bus may not be possible.
Old May 15, 2016, 2:20 pm

Right. But we don't know where OP wants to go, so a transfer from the bus to the train is not out of question.

Plus, we don't know if OP will have a stroller, how much baggage there will be etc.

Anyways: How about using a private transport company? This company seems to offer child seats for free:

https://www.bettertaxi.com/airport-t.../berlin-tegel/
Old May 15, 2016, 2:53 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Taxi usually have seats of Group I or II or the blend of I/II, but never Group 0 (ie till 12 months). Berlin taxis are required to have seats for Group I and above (9-18 KG): http://www.taxi-in-berlin.de/taxi/kindersitz-im-taxi/
Old May 15, 2016, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bacchus85
Right. But we don't know where OP wants to go, so a transfer from the bus to the train is not out of question.

Plus, we don't know if OP will have a stroller, how much baggage there will be etc.

Anyways: How about using a private transport company? This company seems to offer child seats for free:

https://www.bettertaxi.com/airport-t.../berlin-tegel/
We're headed to the Eurostars hotel (Friedrichstrasse station). We will have a stroller, 2 suitcases, and various other bags in tow.

Having taken the TXL bus in the past to get to the same hotel, I know it would be much more difficult this time around. We will be on the second week of a European trip so I'm sure everyone will be grateful if we can minimize hassles as much as possible!

Your link (bettertaxi.com) seems interesting.

With the car seat included, 40-50 Euros seems like a reasonable price to pay.

Have you or anyone else tried it before?

Last edited by neos; May 15, 2016 at 5:28 pm
Old May 16, 2016, 2:08 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I used mydriver a lot when I had the amount things to lug around with our kids:

https://www.mydriver.com/de#/carClas...05-24T12:00:00

They will also have the car seats for free if you make mention of it in the notes. Use code 'md10' to get 10Eur off
Old May 16, 2016, 11:58 pm

We're headed to the Eurostars hotel (Friedrichstrasse station). We will have a stroller, 2 suitcases, and various other bags in tow.

Having taken the TXL bus in the past to get to the same hotel, I know it would be much more difficult this time around. We will be on the second week of a European trip so I'm sure everyone will be grateful if we can minimize hassles as much as possible!

Your link (bettertaxi.com) seems interesting.

With the car seat included, 40-50 Euros seems like a reasonable price to pay.

Have you or anyone else tried it before?
Yes, I have used them 2 or 3 times before for early morning Transfers to the Airport and had really no complaints whatsoever. Nice staff, clean cars and right on time. However, there was never a child seat involved.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.