Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

"must" do in Hamburg?

"must" do in Hamburg?

Old Oct 12, 2016, 12:28 pm

How long would people allow to do Miniatur Wunderland? Visiting Hamburg in a couple of months, would have thought a window of landing at 0915 and being outside HSV's ground for a 1530 kickoff in good time to get drunk enough to watch their awful play will suffice?
Old Oct 12, 2016, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by jt82
How long would people allow to do Miniatur Wunderland? Visiting Hamburg in a couple of months, would have thought a window of landing at 0915 and being outside HSV's ground for a 1530 kickoff in good time to get drunk enough to watch their awful play will suffice?
Don't think they have a maximum, but a ban of alcohol.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 7:59 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
XFW is a must do. We did the tour as part of the FT Hamburg Do a few years ago and got very very good guides as a group of freaks and avgeeks. I tried booking the MW as a party event for the evening, but we opted for a boat tour instead to see the harbor festival. It rained like ... so that was rather disappointing, but we huddled together under the desk instead.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 9:00 am
MIM

Have booked flights for a weekend in Hamburg the week before Christmas for the family (me, Mrs MIM and two boys aged 10 and 12) arriving late Friday, out Sunday evening.

Only did it on a spur of the moment yesterday, and havent really done any research, beyond establishing that Hamburg is a great city and worth a look.

Any recommendations on areas to hone in on for accommodation options easily accessible from the airport (especially given that well be landing at 22:30), central but nether expensive nor edgy*, that sort of thing

Am open to both hotels and Airbnb, so residential areas may be an option.

*Im sure the boys would be 'intrigued' by the Reeperbahn, but I dont really want to spend my weekend explaining what that dwarf is doing to that donkey Dad.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 3:55 am

Programs: BAEC
Is Altes Land worth a visit? Meant to be in Hamburg on Saturday/Sunday and the weather for Sunday is looking great.

Are there any places you can hire a bike to go round the local area?

Thanks!
Old Jun 16, 2017, 4:20 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Question Xmas Market

Originally Posted by MIM
Have booked flights for a weekend in Hamburg the week before Christmas for the family (me, Mrs MIM and two boys aged 10 and 12) arriving late Friday, out Sunday evening.
What about the Christmas Market?
Old Jun 16, 2017, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
What about the Christmas Market?
The Christmas Markets in Hamburg (they have different ones) are among the best in Germany
Old Jun 23, 2017, 4:03 am

Originally Posted by londonba2014
Is Altes Land worth a visit? Meant to be in Hamburg on Saturday/Sunday and the weather for Sunday is looking great.

Are there any places you can hire a bike to go round the local area?

Thanks!
It is said that it is a beautiful region that combines the best of Amsterdam feels, countryside and maritime flair. As per my perspective, it is worth to visit.

There are various locations from where you can hire car or bike.

For example: Hamburg City Cycles, Bernhard-Nocht-Str. 89-90 20359 Hamburg
Old Aug 10, 2017, 5:09 am
MIM

Originally Posted by MIM

Only did it on a spur of the moment yesterday, and havent really done any research, beyond establishing that Hamburg is a great city and worth a look.

Any recommendations on areas to hone in on for accommodation options easily accessible from the airport (especially given that well be landing at 22:30), central but nether expensive nor edgy*, that sort of thing

Am open to both hotels and Airbnb, so residential areas may be an option.

*Im sure the boys would be 'intrigued' by the Reeperbahn, but I dont really want to spend my weekend explaining what that dwarf is doing to that donkey Dad.
I've still not booked anywhere to stay for our weekend in Hamburg in December, but am hoping to get things sorted this weekend.

Any suggestions for areas to target and/or avoid?

Also, how far is 'too far' out in terms of location? We don't mind being a little bit away from the city centre, but wouldn't want to be stuck out in the suburbs. How walkable is Hamburg as a city?
Old Aug 13, 2017, 9:12 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, Melia Platinum, SIXT Platinum, Accor Silver, Lufthansa FTL
The inner city is perfectly walkable and don't forget public transportation. With underground and S-Bahn trains you're very flexible in Hamburg.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 2:09 pm

Programs: most of them
I loved the several days I spent in Hamburg a couple of years ago. Mainly I went for Minatur Wunderland but the whole city was awesome. Very laid back. Beautiful people.

I booked my MW ticket in advance online. In the summer they are open until 23:00 so I went in the evening. It wasn't very busy at that time. I think I got there around 18:30 and stayed 3.5 or 4 hours. It was still twilight when I left but it was early July so the sun sets late that time of year.

I enjoyed the city hall tour. And the Hanburg city museum was also very good.

I booked my stay through the Hamburg tourist bureau website so I got a room upgrade, 3 day Hamburg card and some other perks. Stayed at the Sofitel which was awesome.

I agree that the city is very walkable. The whole inner Alster area is nice. The public transit is also fantastic of course. In the end I was surprised how much I really enjoyed my time there. I would love to go back some time. My Germany trip report below starts with Hamburg
Old Feb 11, 2018, 12:09 am

Hamburg is clearly a "must do" if you are in Germany; during winter and end of fall you can have periodes with long grey sky but still overall the city is just AWESOME!

The public transportation system (S-Bahn; U-Bahn & Busses) is just perfect to get around. As well the Airport has a perfect S-Bahn connection and it takes you only 30 minutes to get to the city main train station. (check on HVV.de for detailed timeschedules etc ) Furthermore Hamburg is highly engaged in bringing emission free public transport on the road. MOIA (volkswagen) plans to start a electric " Shuttle-on-Demand-Service" with 200 cars later in 2018.

If you are in Hamburg check out the elbphilharmonie for tickets - try to get the large concert hall - acoustics is just perfect and one of the best in the world!! (The elbphilharmonie has two a large and a small concert hall); If you dont get tickets for a philharmonic orchestra visit the "plaza" and enjoy an amazing view on the Elbe river and habour area.

Elbphilharmonie "Elphi":
www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdq571K1hbg

Additional videos in preparation: Hamburg Airport Lounge / Alster lake timelapes ... subscribe or PM to me if you are interested or have other questions
Old Feb 11, 2018, 5:02 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by GT80
Hamburg is clearly a "must do" if you are in Germany; during winter and end of fall you can have periodes with long grey sky but still overall the city is just AWESOME!

The public transportation system (S-Bahn; U-Bahn & Busses) is just perfect to get around. As well the Airport has a perfect S-Bahn connection and it takes you only 30 minutes to get to the city main train station. (check on HVV.de for detailed timeschedules etc ) Furthermore Hamburg is highly engaged in bringing emission free public transport on the road. MOIA (volkswagen) plans to start a electric " Shuttle-on-Demand-Service" with 200 cars later in 2018.

If you are in Hamburg check out the elbphilharmonie for tickets - try to get the large concert hall - acoustics is just perfect and one of the best in the world!! (The elbphilharmonie has two a large and a small concert hall); If you dont get tickets for a philharmonic orchestra visit the "plaza" and enjoy an amazing view on the Elbe river and habour area.

Elbphilharmonie "Elphi":
www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdq571K1hbg

Additional videos in preparation: Hamburg Airport Lounge / Alster lake timelapes ... subscribe or PM to me if you are interested or have other questions
Yes, many of us have been to Hamburg and posted trip reports as well. And there is a public transit system. The Elbephilarmonie hall is also the most noted current attraction , with lines for tickets to even just view. Tickets for concerts, of course, have been selling out months in advance. Thanks for the "expert" info.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

I wait 2 or 3 years and tickes will not be a problem anymore.
Adam1222 likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 1:08 am

Programs: LH M+M
HVV and perfect - as an almost daily commuter on it, I beg to differ ..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.