Wiki Posts
Search

Border question

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2016, 1:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Merlin666

Last time I went to Czech I had Prius rented at ZRH from Hertz and they had no problem with it.
So what? The OP is renting a different car with a different agency. Your experience may or may not be relevant to this situation. Just because it rained yesterday doesn't mean it will always rain on April 14.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 4:49 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Folks, nitpicker here, but the country is called Czech Republic. Czech is the demonym, and the name of the language spoken there.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 6:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - A suggestion that you take a step back. Before discarding the train option, discuss this with a TA who specializes in the region and perhaps travel for elderly individuals. The specific stations and trains will matter, but you will not exactly be travelling on the NY Subway and, depending on the extent of your parent's needs, they may well be quite comfortable with the acommodations. Perhaps moreso than you can provide in a vehicle with which you are unfamiliar on roads with which you are unfamiliar and with rules with which you are unfamiliar.

This is the kind of thing which really is detail oriented and, if you are not intimately familiar with the details of each station, the services available, and exactly what their needs are, it is well worth paying a fee to learn from someone who provides that sort of advice every day. Especially if you are averse to driving in the first place, have logistical challenges and might be able to avoid all of it.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 8:10 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by mfkne
Folks, nitpicker here, but the country is called Czech Republic.
Soon to be Czechia
Old Apr 19, 2016, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Palal
Correct - if this are the biggest problems.....
Old Mar 7, 2018, 9:45 am
Ambassador: Peru

Programs: LanPass Premium, AA (former gold), MileagePlus Silver
Does anybody know how is the border check nowadays, if I enter Germany by train? I'll take a train from Salzburg Hbf to Munich Hauptbahnhof on april 5 (thursday) 10am, expected to arrive at 12:30pm. Is there a check before entering the train, or a stop and check at the border? (I'll be entering the Schengen área thru Madrid then flying to Vienna).

Btw, I'm peruvian, don't need a Schengen visa anymore; I've been in France and Italy in 2016 and didn't have any problem crossing both countries by plane, but I guess Austria and Germany could have additional checks.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 3:40 pm
MHG

Programs: BA, SK, Accor, Carlson Rezidor
Originally Posted by Villavic
Does anybody know how is the border check nowadays, if I enter Germany by train? I'll take a train from Salzburg Hbf to Munich Hauptbahnhof on april 5 (thursday) 10am, expected to arrive at 12:30pm. Is there a check before entering the train, or a stop and check at the border? (I'll be entering the Schengen área thru Madrid then flying to Vienna).

Btw, I'm peruvian, don't need a Schengen visa anymore; I've been in France and Italy in 2016 and didn't have any problem crossing both countries by plane, but I guess Austria and Germany could have additional checks.
"Welcome to the Schengen-Area"
No Bordercheck at all. You enter the train at Salzburg like any domestic train as that is exactly what the Schengen agreement is about. Austria and Germany both signed the Schengen treaty similar to Italy and France.

The only thing that may or may not happen is a random passport/ID check usually on the train while it´s running.
But I´d think that´s a rather remote possibility only.
These sort of checks are normaly only done on certain occasions e.g. hunting for criminals etc. and as long you´re legally in the Schengen area (that Spain is part of) you´ll just be fine anyway.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by MHG
"Welcome to the Schengen-Area"
No Bordercheck at all. You enter the train at Salzburg like any domestic train as that is exactly what the Schengen agreement is about. Austria and Germany both signed the Schengen treaty similar to Italy and France.

The only thing that may or may not happen is a random passport/ID check usually on the train while it´s running.
But I´d think that´s a rather remote possibility only.
These sort of checks are normaly only done on certain occasions e.g. hunting for criminals etc. and as long you´re legally in the Schengen area (that Spain is part of) you´ll just be fine anyway.
That´s not correct at the moment, there are frequent controls. But it will be done in the train and I wouldn´t expect any problems.
https://www.n-tv.de/politik/Deutschl...e20079620.html
Old Mar 8, 2018, 9:20 pm
MHG

Programs: BA, SK, Accor, Carlson Rezidor
Originally Posted by offerendum
That´s not correct at the moment, there are frequent controls. But it will be done in the train and I wouldn´t expect any problems.
https://www.n-tv.de/politik/Deutschl...e20079620.html
OK. I was not aware that the "increased security level" had been extended.

But in the end it does not change anything for the OP since checks are done while the train runs anyway.
So, no interruption/delay of his journey.
... and if he´s lucky nobody will check at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.