Wiki Posts
Search

Pick up "mail on short layover in FRA or MUC

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2015, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold

I am stopping in FRA for 3 hrs on a layover between DXB-FRA and FRA-LIS on the morning of Dec 18th. Flying with LH.

Would it be possible to get a package (bicycle part) sent to me at FRA from Dresden so I could pick it up at the airport? If this is possible, WHO would offer such a service if it were possible. I would have enough time to go through Schengen passport control into/out of German landside.

On Jan 1st I have similar layover for 4 hours in Munich.

Picking up the package would save me time and effort in getting the part shipped to the Middle East.

Thoughts??
Old Nov 26, 2015, 9:09 am

Programs: M&M FQT, BA G, Bonvoy LTT, WoH GLOB

Try to arrange with the airport Sheraton in FRA ?
Old Nov 26, 2015, 9:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Ordinarily I would have made these arrangements with a needy clerk at an airport hotel. These days, I would expect to me met by a decent-sized contingent of the local gendarmerie if attempted.

Perhaps try any of the ordinary overnight services to see if they do "hold for pickup" at their FRA station?
Old Nov 26, 2015, 11:01 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
There is a DHL/Deutsche Post counter in the basement of T1B. It's worth checking if a package could be sent there for you to pick up. You will have to enter Schengen in FRA anyway for your connecting flight to LIS.

Alternatively if you are going to LIS can't you have the package sent to your address in Portugal? Sending packages within the EU should be straightforward.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Thank you everyone for your suggestions and work-arounds. In light of the comments in Post #3, I have decided to have the rear hub sent to me in Doha. DHL delivers directly to my workplace.

No point in trying to pick it up in Portugal as it would just make things more complicated as compared to picking it up at FRA or MUC. No rush to get the item (rear hub). Building the wheel can wait ..

No police hassles etc either. I noted that the package had to be delivered for shipment in an "unsealed state" to Deutsche Post for inspection, so I assume the same thing will happen with DHL. Delivery to Doha will make life easier for me.

FT is quite helpful ^ in that I makes me reconsider my thinking before I act - hopefully for the better
Old Nov 30, 2015, 2:59 am

For the future, both FRA and MUC have a "packstation", where packages are delivered to a machine. No need to interact with humans.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 9:12 am

But you need to register for it and receive that plastic card before you can send any package there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.