Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Best Christmas Markets and other things to do in Germany in December

Old Nov 22, 2015, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

So I am planning on flying into FRA, arriving midday on December 4th, and staying in Germany for 5 days.

My itinerary during that time is completely open.

It seems like my best bet for traveling around the country is buying the Bahn German rail pass.

I know I want to visit a couple Christmas markets (at least one in a major city, and one in a smaller city or town). I don't know which ones are the most worthwhile to check out. Any opinions?

Otherwise, what (in your opinion) are the things I must see or do while I am there?

I'm traveling on a budget, so nothing too extravagant. And I don't love doing touristy type stuff. My main interest when traveling is food.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 11:10 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Ex. PLT, Delta Diamond
Take a look at traveling the Romantic Rhine river via boat. Winter service is very limited so check up on the time. It might not be working during the time you are there but it is something you should do if available.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 5:50 am

The Christkindelsmarkt in Nuremberg is quite famous, the also have the biggest Feuerzangenbowle in the world (at least they claim it).

The english translation of Feuerzangenbowle according to dict.leo.org would be: "mulled wine with a rum-soaked sugarloaf lit above it"

If you like a medieval touch, then you could visit the christmas market in Esslingen (near Stuttgart).
Old Nov 25, 2015, 3:27 am

Programs: UA/Hawaiian/Marriott
The Christmas Market in Stuttgart is the biggest in Germany and quite frankly the best (in my opinion).

They already opened a portion of it last week and will be going strong here shortly.

DB can get you here in less than 2 hours from FRA.....
Old Nov 25, 2015, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Bearcat06
The Christmas Market in Stuttgart is the biggest in Germany and quite frankly the best (in my opinion).

They already opened a portion of it last week and will be going strong here shortly.

DB can get you here in less than 2 hours from FRA.....
Yes, Stuttgart is big. Visited in 2013, its a nice one.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 5:42 am

Programs: Miles & More, Amex
If you search this forum, then you will see lots of threads regarding Christmas Markets, e.g.:

Please recommend a Christmas market

Xmas markets & NYE near FRA/DUS

Nuremberg Christkindlmarkt Worthwhile?

Which of the three Frankfurt Christmas markets to choose?
Old Nov 26, 2015, 5:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
St Nicolas Day is December 6 in Germany.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jww947
Take a look at traveling the Romantic Rhine river via boat. Winter service is very limited so check up on the time. It might not be working during the time you are there but it is something you should do if available.
Thanks for the tip. I found a company that is offering tours while I'm there, so it looks like this is definitely going on my agenda.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fireflyer05
The Christkindelsmarkt in Nuremberg is quite famous, the also have the biggest Feuerzangenbowle in the world (at least they claim it).

The english translation of Feuerzangenbowle according to dict.leo.org would be: "mulled wine with a rum-soaked sugarloaf lit above it"

If you like a medieval touch, then you could visit the christmas market in Esslingen (near Stuttgart).
Yeah, I've heard the Nuremberg one is pretty nice. And I've never heard of a Feuerzangenbowle before, but from the translation it sounds awesome.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 2:03 pm

I visited the Christkindlmarkt today (unfortunately it was quite rainy, so it was only a short visit) but the Feuerzangenbowle tasted quite good.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Fireflyer05
it was quite rainy
Sorry for that! At the moment its really bad weather
Old Dec 1, 2015, 11:41 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
I have an upcoming trip to Munich and Vienna, where we plan to visit several of the markets.

In Munich, we're staying near the Haidhausen market. Any thoughts on that one? We'll stop by since its near the hotel, but is it worth setting aside some time to visit?
Old Dec 1, 2015, 6:06 pm

Honestly you can't go wrong with any Christmas market- they all have great food and plenty of Glhwein!

As far as the best one are your area, I'll join some others and mention the Stuttgarter Weihnachtsmarkt as my favorite. In many of the big markets (Dortmund, Freiburg, etc etc) the market is scattered throughout the city, but in Stuttgart it's all concentrated in one area right under the Rathaus...it's great.

From FRA you can get there in an hour and fifteen minutes with an ICE train from DB. If you buy in advance (especially on this site) you can make the journey for less than 20 euros.

Enjoy!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.