Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Speeding ticket Germany

Speeding ticket Germany

Old Oct 12, 2015, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Speeding ticket Germany

Hi guys - I was in Germany in June and got photobombed speeding on a country road going 21k/hr over the speed limit. Sixt sent me a notice of the 25 Euro processing fee on July 15. I have not received anything in the mail yet (living in USA). I will be transiting through FRA next month - is there a chance of the authorities having any record of it or of me being questioned etc?
Old Oct 12, 2015, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by devmd
Hi guys - I was in Germany in June and got photobombed speeding on a country road going 21k/hr over the speed limit. Sixt sent me a notice of the 25 Euro processing fee on July 15. I have not received anything in the mail yet (living in USA). I will be transiting through FRA next month - is there a chance of the authorities having any record of it or of me being questioned etc?
No, donīt be worry. We are not like this
Old Oct 12, 2015, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
How long does it typically take to get notified of speeding tickets?
We were there in mid July. Not sure we were ever speeding, but the limits changed so often, we may have missed a few.
How far over do you have to be going before the camera kicks in and you get a ticket?
Old Oct 12, 2015, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

in my case the camera flashed and thats how we knew it got me. The rental car agency sent me a notice of the handling fee with a photo of me driving
Old Oct 13, 2015, 2:44 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by pbiflyer
How long does it typically take to get notified of speeding tickets?
We were there in mid July. Not sure we were ever speeding, but the limits changed so often, we may have missed a few.
How far over do you have to be going before the camera kicks in and you get a ticket?
You can be captured by video, laser camera, non flashing camera and the classic speedtrap. Tolerances vary, its about 5-10% and violations of 5-10kmph inside and 15-20 outside town attract only minimal fines and no specific police procedure. Often regional enforcement stops pursuing such violations when the rental company informs them that the driver lives outside of Germany. The postage and effort to get a 10-15€ fine for example are deemed disproportional. All rental companies nowadays charge 12-30€ to process such enquiries, so it hurts either way.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 12:38 pm

Programs: BA, Best Western, Miles & More
We were notified quite quickly when we got a speeding ticket coming of an Autobahn in Stuttgart. Sixt didn't pay the fine but charged us an admin fee to tell us that we have incurred a speeding ticket. A couple of weeks later we then received a letter from Stuttgart council with details in German of how to pay.
I was able to pay the fine through my local bank in the UK but they charged a handling fee of about Ģ10 on top of the fine and Sixts' admin fee.
Hertz on the other hand have paid the fine and passed on the cost plus an admin fee to the customer in the past and saved a lot of hassle therefore giving me a reason not to use Sixt in future!
Old Oct 20, 2015, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by Tanya934
I was able to pay the fine through my local bank in the UK but they charged a handling fee of about Ģ10 on top of the fine and Sixts' admin fee.
Shouldn't a SEPA transfer be free of charge within the EU?
Old Oct 20, 2015, 5:43 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

UK banks have a weird interpretation on SEPA transfers. The rule is that SEPA transfers should costs the same as the charge for transfers inside that banks domestic market. So since German banks don't charge transfer fees, SEPA transfers are free too. In the UK that is not the case.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 5:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Most people prefer the Hertz system because they do not intend to either contest the ticket or default. Thus, they just want it paid with as little hassle as possible.

Where this goes awry is that what used to be a physical ticket handed to the driver and thus the renter knew that he had a ticket to pay, is no longer. Thus, if one does want to contest, that opportunity is effectively foreclosed because the ticket has been paid by the agency and already debited to one's account.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 12:23 pm
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

Regarding the speeding ticket, we are working to improve the enforcement to pay fines this at least within the EU (http://www.e-codex.eu/pilots/financal-penalties.html) . If you live outside, you should be fine, but of course this does not necessary means, there is no obligation to not pay the fine. What could happen, when you are stopped the next time and they run for whatever reason your personal details, might find an open fine and ask you to pay this on the spot. Rare cases, but could happen.

Originally Posted by oliver2002
UK banks have a weird interpretation on SEPA transfers. The rule is that SEPA transfers should costs the same as the charge for transfers inside that banks domestic market. So since German banks don't charge transfer fees, SEPA transfers are free too. In the UK that is not the case.
Well, since the UK is not part of the "Währungsunion", this seems to be legit (according the British Government Officials - businesswise we have to wire every 6 months money to them).
Old Oct 26, 2015, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by FLYGVA
Well, since the UK is not part of the "Währungsunion", this seems to be legit (according the British Government Officials - businesswise we have to wire every 6 months money to them).
Thatīs the Point, UK isnīt part of the Eurozone. You loose lso money by the exchange-rate sometimes. Not too funny and GB is getting more and more expensive for us mainland people...... Not the best time to travel to London at the moment
Old Nov 2, 2015, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by offerendum
Thatīs the Point, UK isnīt part of the Eurozone.
That is not the point. The Euro Zone and the SEPA Zone are two different animals. Ad 1 only transfers in EURO (which can be done from any UK account too) benefit from the blessings and ad 2 the blessings go not further than the domestic blessings. UK banks, as Oliver pointed out, do still charge for domestic transfers so they will do the same for SEPA transfers.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 2:24 am

Thatīs the Point, UK isnīt part of the Eurozone. You loose lso money by the exchange-rate sometimes.
SEPA works fine for all in Europe, I frequently move money between Sweden and Germany.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Thatīs the Point, UK isnīt part of the Eurozone. You loose lso money by the exchange-rate sometimes. Not too funny and GB is getting more and more expensive for us mainland people...... Not the best time to travel to London at the moment
Yes it's correct. I got my excess insurance paid into a German bank account and DKB charged me EUR 12 for receiving the $

Originally Posted by oliver2002
SEPA works fine for all in Europe, I frequently move money between Sweden and Germany.
Me too, but UK is not part of SEPA.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by nacho
UK is not part of SEPA.
GB is part of SEPA: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_Euro_Payments_Area

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.