Wiki Posts
Search

Gluten Free in Germany

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2015, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Gluten Free in Germany

I mantain a strict gluten free diet due to Celiac Disease. It is not a choice.
I have not traveled much in Germany but the couple of times I was there had difficulty with Gluten Free meals.
Part of the problem is that I do not speak German.
I usually do fairly well in Spain, Italy, Portugal, France and UK/Ireland
I will be in Nurenberg, Vienna, Salzburg and Munich during the Christmas Market period this year.
Any suggestions of where or what is safe to eat will be welcome.
Any special pastries or restaurants that you can recommend

Monitor: I was not sure if to post in "disabled travel" or here in dining buzz. Please move as you see fit.
Thank you

Last edited by cblaisd; Sep 13, 2015 at 5:00 am Reason: Removed reference to Austria; split to its own thread
Old Sep 12, 2015, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I'm gluten intolerant rather than coeliac, so am less concerned about cross contamination. As always it depends where you go. It's certainly a well known condition but, at the same time, typical German food is heavy on wheat. But there are limited menu options possible, and breakfasts are easy with their focus on meats, cheeses and yoghurts.

As a side note, LH lounges are very aware, with GF breads available.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
As a side note, LH lounges are very aware, with GF breads available.
LH in general does a great job all around - I prefer their gluten free meals and have had very little problems getting gluten free in flight. Just make sure you request it ahead of time.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 1:04 am

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by keisari
I mantain a strict gluten free diet due to Celiac Disease. It is not a choice.
I have not traveled much in Germany and Austria but the couple of times I was there had difficulty with Gluten Free meals.
Part of the problem is that I do not speak German.
I usually do fairly well in Spain, Italy, Portugal, France and UK/Ireland
I will be in Nurenberg, Vienna, Salzburg and Munich during the Christmas Market period this year.
Any suggestions of where or what is safe to eat will be welcome.
Any special pastries or restaurants that you can recommend

Monitor: I was not sure if to post in "disabled travel" or here in dining buzz. Please move as you see fit.
Thank you
As I live in Nuernberg, happy to help. Any other restrictions to be aware of?
Old Sep 13, 2015, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by daumueller
As I live in Nuernberg, happy to help. Any other restrictions to be aware of?
No other restrictions.
I will be in Nuernberg for 2 days in early December.
Planning on visiting the Christmas markets.
I eat everything and anything as long as it has no gluten.
I eat oats but only if they are gluten-free (lots of contamination during the processing of oats)

Any suggestions in Munich will also be welcomed.

thank you
Old Sep 14, 2015, 1:33 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Germany implemented EU rules this year, requiring restaurants to mark the common allergens in menus. My son is allergic against egg and tree nuts (thankfully down to class 2 now, used to be life threatening class 5 a few years ago) so we have to ask every time. So in major restaurants you will be fine. In small ones you are in trouble. We just had an aunt visiting last weekend who has celiacs, she is very very careful and can manage. We went for dinner at the ratskeller, their allergen menu is here: http://www.ratskeller.com/files/rats...rd_english.pdf (1= Gluten)

Whenever you ask nicely, everyone does check. Don't expect that to happen in busy xmas markets though. When in doubt they will just say 'we cannot be certain/guarantee anything' and leave you standing empty handed.

If you are looking for day to day snack/supplies, visit a local reformhaus to stock up on glutenfree items: http://www.reformhaus.de/filialfinder.html
Old Sep 14, 2015, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Thank you for the information

As far as I can tell Ratskeller is only in Munchen, is that correct?

rk
Old Sep 14, 2015, 9:44 am

DM has a decent selection of gluten free items. As far as restaurants are concerned, a traditional one with meat and potato based dishes should work well.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 12:07 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Ask for "Glutamatfrei". Availability should be no problem.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 8:35 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
Ask for "Glutamatfrei". Availability should be no problem.
Wrong: Glutamat is MSG, completely different animal!

The key word is 'Gluten' making sure to pronounce the e clearly the German way (ie the way the english say 'a')
Old Sep 15, 2015, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by keisari
Thank you for the information

As far as I can tell Ratskeller is only in Munchen, is that correct?

rk
No, "Ratskeller" is just the restaurant under the city hall; it's not a chain or the name of a particular restaurant. Almost every town has a "Ratskeller." "Rat" is German for council," and "Keller" for cellar.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Track
No, "Ratskeller" is just the restaurant under the city hall; it's not a chain or the name of a particular restaurant. Almost every town has a "Ratskeller." "Rat" is German for council," and "Keller" for cellar.
Exact. It´s like Marktschänke, Dorfkrug, Zur Linde, Zur Post, Zur Krone. Italian restaurants are often called Roma, Napoli, Toscana, Pinocchio, Greek restaurants Akropolis, Athen, Poseidon, Dephi or Olympia. Not very creative
Old Sep 17, 2015, 6:46 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I forwarded this thread to my sister-in-law who writes:

I stayed in Berlin this summer and I had great difficulty eating GF. I also have Celiac's and I can speak a little German, but most servers were not educated in ingredients the way I expect American servers to be. I frequented Doner Kebab stands sometimes but witnessed a lot of cross-contamination, and really shouldn't have been doing that. Grocery stores have far more GF options than American ones, but my greatest recommendation would be to frequent Indian and Thai restaurants.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 1:47 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Wrong: Glutamat is MSG, completely different animal!

The key word is 'Gluten' making sure to pronounce the e clearly the German way (ie the way the english say 'a')
My apologies for the mistranslation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.