Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

FRA - YYZ Tax Refund query

Old Aug 19, 2015, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG RA; Avis First

Not sure where to post this but thought I'd try here.

I've been in Germany for about 2 months and bought some stuff. Ever since I started traveling, never really bought anything expensive worth claiming until now.
One of them is a suit, do I need to physically have the suit to do a claim or just the receipt? I'm putting my suit in my check luggage and would prefer not to have it in my hand-carry. Also does the tags need to be intact?
Old Aug 19, 2015, 2:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Do you mean you're wanting info on claiming back German tax paid on items purchased while in Germany?
Old Aug 19, 2015, 2:22 pm

It's not Aeroplan related at all

Google?
http://www.frankfurt-airport.com/con...t_refunds.html
Old Aug 19, 2015, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tcook052
Do you mean you're wanting info on claiming back German tax paid on items purchased while in Germany?
Yes

Originally Posted by jerryhung
It's not Aeroplan related at all

Google?
http://www.frankfurt-airport.com/con...t_refunds.html
Does it help if I'm flying Air Canada? Not really Aeroplan though

Thanks, I guess the tags are not important?
Damn there is a fee for it to be process?
Old Aug 19, 2015, 2:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by BRAISKI
Yes
Then the better venue for this discussion is the FT Germany forum which is where this thread now resides.

tcook052
AC forum moderator
Old Aug 20, 2015, 2:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
If you want to claim VAT back you do this at the airport (you don't say where you are flying out of, but it really doesn't matter). You will need to have your receipt stamped at the VAT Refund office which is located landside. You may be asked to provide proof that the article is being taken out of the EU, so you'll need to show your ticket and be prepared to be able to produce the article(s) in question, so don't check your luggage in first.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
If you want to claim VAT back you do this at the airport (you don't say where you are flying out of, but it really doesn't matter). You will need to have your receipt stamped at the VAT Refund office which is located landside. You may be asked to provide proof that the article is being taken out of the EU, so you'll need to show your ticket and be prepared to be able to produce the article(s) in question, so don't check your luggage in first.
Thanks thats good to know.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by BRAISKI
Yes

Does it help if I'm flying Air Canada? Not really Aeroplan though

Thanks, I guess the tags are not important?
The items are in theory supposed to be exported unused, but I've gotten stamps for some clothes and shoes that had been worn once or twice. Wasn't a particularly high refund value though and the purchase had been within a week or two.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.