Wiki Posts
Search

Berlin TXL visit

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2015, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Is TXL my best bet for mileage redemption on star alliance? I see there are two other airports listed on ual.com

The flights I saw available to TXL in biz saver (on TK via IST) are now gone but I know it's pretty fluid day to day.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 11:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by DavidDTW
I haven't heard of any further delays lately, so unless that happens, BER is supposed to open in 2017. (Only 5 years behind schedule!)
Some reports I've read have put that date as far away as 2019.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by tcook052
Some reports I've read have put that date as far away as 2019.
Not clear yet. Some problems with Imtech bancrupcy, but they claim Imtech will continue it´s work. I don´t think it will open 2017, just my very own opinion.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 7:26 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I just spend two full days in Berlin and I really enjoyed it, I could have easily stayed more. It's a fun city to just be in, walking around Museum Island, the Tiergarten, enjoying a beer at the Sony Center etc. Plus, there are a lot of museums to see and if you really want a sight, heading out to Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp just outside the city is an incredible experience.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 5:45 am

TXL is a great airport btw if your main purpose of flying is getting to the place you want to go. It's not so great if you're the kinda guy who prefers time spent in a lounge over time spent at your destination.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 11:03 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
TXL is a great airport btw if your main purpose of flying is getting to the place you want to go. It's not so great if you're the kinda guy who prefers time spent in a lounge over time spent at your destination.
I would agree it's a great arrival or departure airport, as the gates are literally feet away from the entrance/exit. I connected there once last year and will never do it again.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I bought a Lonely Planet guide on Berlin. Good resource. I'm trying to figure out in what district the Marriott Berlin is. I'm the type of guy who likes to eat later at night. I hope I can find some good takeaway places nearby. Doner? Kebabs?

Also guide says cash is king and not many credit cards are accepted, especially Amex. I don't use my Amex but have a chase MC with new chip but no pin. Am I screwed?
Old Sep 9, 2015, 8:12 pm

That's at Potsdamer Platz. That area was basically No Man's Land during the Cold War and was completely rebuilt after the end of that. It's mostly a mix of commercial space (there's 2 malls and 2 big movie theaters in the vicinity), office buildings, tourist landmarks (the Holocaust Memorial, Brandenburg Gate and Reichstag are nearby) and government buildings.

There's some restaurants in the area, mostly sit down though outside the mall food courts and the food stalls in the S-Bahn and U-Bahn stations. But I don't know where the closest "typical" Berlin late night food place would be. On memory I'd say in Wilhelmstrasse which is a 5 minute walk or so.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 10:57 pm

Programs: AA PLT
It's been a couple of years, but I remember a Turkish place a couple blocks south of Potsdamer Platz on Stresemannstraße that wasn't bad for a later dinner.

When it comes to payment, the more "authentic" you go, the more troubles you're likely to run into paying with a card, but as long as the card has an EMV chip, you'll be able to use it pretty much anywhere that there's a person processing the transaction.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 11:08 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
There is a kebab shop on Stresemannstrasse, on the right side of the street, as you walk down towards Anhalter Bahnhof from Potsdamerplatz. Been in there many times. Another place to consider is Alexanderplatz, which is a few stops away by train. There's a noodle bar inside the train station with indoor seating that I've enjoyed and it's bound to be open late.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 11:59 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by tom911
There is a kebab shop on Stresemannstrasse, on the right side of the street, as you walk down towards Anhalter Bahnhof from Potsdamerplatz. Been in there many times. Another place to consider is Alexanderplatz, which is a few stops away by train. There's a noodle bar inside the train station with indoor seating that I've enjoyed and it's bound to be open late.
That's the place I'm thinking of.

I also agree with considering Alexanderplatz (in part because I'm much more familiar with late nights in that area ). I've had kebabs from places still open as the sun was rising along Torstraße not far from Rosa-Luxembourg-Platz on the U2, as well as luck with places just north of Hackescher Markt. Both can be reached in 15 minutes from Potsdamer Platz.

Bottom line is that Berlin is a city with thriving nightlife, so while you may have to take a short trip to find it, good food can be had at virtually any hour.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

great info folks, I really appreciate it!
Old Sep 10, 2015, 10:41 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Should add that there is a Vapianos right outside the Marriott, and that's an inexpensive chain that I've been to in Frankfurt, Nuremberg and Munich. You place your order at the counter and they give you a pager that activates when your freshly-cooked meal is ready. Think around 10 euros for a main course (pasta/pizza). This one always seems pretty busy in the evening.
http://de.vapiano.com/de/magazin/
Old Sep 12, 2015, 3:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
You can do much better than Vapiano for pizza! Try Zwoelf Apostel, for example. http://www.12-apostel.de/en/

For further Berlin food tips drop me a PM...I'm there every week!
Old Sep 12, 2015, 3:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by enviroian
I bought a Lonely Planet guide on Berlin. Good resource. I'm trying to figure out in what district the Marriott Berlin is. I'm the type of guy who likes to eat later at night. I hope I can find some good takeaway places nearby. Doner? Kebabs?

Also guide says cash is king and not many credit cards are accepted, especially Amex. I don't use my Amex but have a chase MC with new chip but no pin. Am I screwed?
How are you paying for the Marriott? The Ritz is right next door and very often has rates that are equal to or lower than the Marriott. Unless you must stay there, consider also the Hyatt nearby, but avoid the Hilton.

You will find Döner Kebabs at pretty much every corner. They were 'invented' in Berlin!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.