Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Germany Shopping

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2015, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Germany Shopping

Picking up stuff that you can't find in the US... What do you usually buy?
Old Aug 12, 2015, 7:10 am

Super Dickmann's. ^

They're a big hit with my colleagues.

http://www.dickmanns.de
Old Aug 12, 2015, 7:32 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
Huge selection of Lindt chocolate in the German department stores.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 8:03 am

Kinder Eggs.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 8:55 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Similar thread here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/germa...lable-usa.html
Old Aug 12, 2015, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by helosc
Huge selection of Lindt chocolate in the German department stores.
There are Lindt stores in the U.S.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 9:22 am

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by SamyaStephen
Picking up stuff that you can't find in the US... What do you usually buy?
Granini multivitamin bonbons and a Wunderbar or two
Old Aug 12, 2015, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by heckfarr
Kinder Eggs.
These are banned in the U.S., which is why you can't get them here. Apparently they've been deemed a choking hazard. There are also several threads about people who have gotten in trouble bringing them back, what is the risk while applying for Global Entry, etc., if one was caught with them, etc., etc.

On the other hand, if you like Ritter Sport, you can find varieties in Germany that are difficult to find in the U.S. (corn flakes!).
Old Aug 12, 2015, 9:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Brandy filled chocolates. They're illegal in the USA.

Traditional German/Bavarian clothing. Not dirndl skirts like biergarten waitresses wear, but nice loden coats. There are some nice hats and some that are kitschy with feathers, etc. You'll see fur stores, but there may be issues in bringing fur items into the USA, depending on the labeling and species; I've never tried it.

Cooking knives, lead crystal, and German plates, bowls, etc. Rosenthal Studio items are especially nice; look for their stores. Coffee and tea services. [Some people like the distinctive traditional cut-glass crystal wine glasses with colored stems, but I don't.]

Music boxes and Christmas ornaments. Hand carvd wood items, including pipes.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Seriously, can you provide a citation for this. I've never heard of this. I'd be very interested in knowing about this particular law.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 11:21 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
Seriously, can you provide a citation for this. I've never heard of this. I'd be very interested in knowing about this particular law.
http://gawker.com/5990806/us-ban-on-...y-lifted-kinda
Old Aug 12, 2015, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm also curious about that, because you can get other kinds of booze-filled chocolate in the States. Several friends have received them as Christmas gifts--variety packs with little "bottles" wrapped to mimic the product each contains. I don't remember all of them, but Cointreau and Kahlua were in there.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 1:16 pm

My comment wasn't in regard to the Kinder Eggs, so I'm not sure why you quoted my post.

Originally Posted by fwoomp
I'm also curious about that, because you can get other kinds of booze-filled chocolate in the States. Several friends have received them as Christmas gifts--variety packs with little "bottles" wrapped to mimic the product each contains. I don't remember all of them, but Cointreau and Kahlua were in there.
+1 The alcohol filled chocolates are readily available in the US. I'm really curious about their supposed illegality.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Nivea Sensitive and Pure antiperspirant. It sounds like a minor thing, but it is the only antiperspirant I have ever been able use to which I am not severely allergic. It's either that or Elizabeth Arden Blue Grass deodorant.

Niederegger marzipan. My spousal unit is addicted to the stuff. I've tried it, and it really is quite good.

Nivea cream. The real (German) formulation. Good for legs, arms, knees, and elbows, especially during the cold winter months. Also good for minor skin irritations and rashes. Very soothing.

Mucoangin for sore throat. Miraculous, otc cure.

Gelo Re-Voice for when you lose your voice.

I keep these last two in my purse throughout cold and flu season.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 10:20 pm

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
There are Lindt stores in the U.S.
Sorry, didn't know that. Here in Denmark we only get a very limited selection of Lindt in the supernarkeds.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.