Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice/helpo: FRA meeting sister during long layover

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2015, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Advice/helpo: FRA meeting sister during long layover

Hey guys.. I live in germany and my sister is traveling from India to US via FRA(frankfurt) on Lufthansa.. specifically Bangalore(BLR) to Boston(BOS) through Frankfurt(FRA).. She has 9 hour layover and do not have Schengen or EU visa.. I have EU because I live here..so, I am thinking of meeting her at airport but need to know if its possible.. I appreciate a lot your suggestions..

I plan to buy a random Lufthansa airline (inter EU one way ticket) and get in the airport on same day she flies to Frankfurt..(but will miss the flight)... Is it possible for us to meet?. is there a barrier/security check which would make it possible.

I appreciate your help.. this means a lot.. its been so long I have seen her.. mods, this is not a spam and i tried finding solutions in other posts but could nt.. pls dont delete it.. I have just 3 days to pull this off if its possible.. if there is a solution, i am sure you guys know it.. Thanks guys in advance.. I welcome your suggestion..

Regards
Old Aug 4, 2015, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Should be possible. Why don´t you buy a flexible ticket? Take your bording pass and cancel it before the flight leaves.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 7:15 am
Original Poster

offerendum. thanks for ur comment.. thats a good Idea. If I check in (security) then i cant cancel. I am ok to but some cheap domestic or eu flight in lufthansa.. are you sure, i wont be separated because I am EU zone and she dont have schengen?.. if you guys confirm, i will buy the ticket now.

Cheers
Old Aug 5, 2015, 12:25 am

If I'm not completely mistaken, I had to show my boarding pass again before going through passport control on my way to the US. This could be a potential obstacle, unless you have a ticket for a flights to a non-Schegen destination.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 2:06 am

Originally Posted by praju
offerendum. thanks for ur comment.. thats a good Idea. If I check in (security) then i cant cancel. I am ok to but some cheap domestic or eu flight in lufthansa.. are you sure, i wont be separated because I am EU zone and she dont have schengen?.. if you guys confirm, i will buy the ticket now.

Cheers
Of course you can cancel a ticket after having checked in. You just need to check-out before you do so.

You can leave the Schengen gate area by going through the passport control. They will not care as long as you have a way to return into the Schengen room. If they ask why you want to go through tell them you're meeting your sister or want to sample the lounges in the A wing

Originally Posted by Alex71
If I'm not completely mistaken, I had to show my boarding pass again before going through passport control on my way to the US. This could be a potential obstacle, unless you have a ticket for a flights to a non-Schegen destination.
No, you do not have to show the board pass when you pass the passport control between the Schengen and non-Schengen gates. Often enough they ask for it to tell people they head the wrong way and spare them the long walk.

You had to show your passport to the US immigration guys. Different story.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 2:35 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Your sister is likely to arrive at a B or C gate and her flight to BOS will almost certainly depart from a Z gate. So you want to be able to get into Z departure area to meet your sister.

Things may have changed but there used to be boarding pass checks before security if you are departing from Z. In order to be certain buy a refundable ticket for a flight departing from Z. Alternatively you could get a ticket for a Schengen destination and enter A departure first and go through passport control into Z. Passport control doesn't usually check a boarding pass. Also if you need a visa to enter certain countries make sure to choose a destination not requiring a visa.

You can check Lufthansa's flight status page or Frankfurt Airport's departure information page for flights departing from Z gates. Good luck!
Old Aug 5, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by fassy
Of course you can cancel a ticket after having checked in. You just need to check-out before you do so.

You can leave the Schengen gate area by going through the passport control. They will not care as long as you have a way to return into the Schengen room. If they ask why you want to go through tell them you're meeting your sister or want to sample the lounges in the A wing

No, you do not have to show the board pass when you pass the passport control between the Schengen and non-Schengen gates. Often enough they ask for it to tell people they head the wrong way and spare them the long walk.

You had to show your passport to the US immigration guys. Different story.
Not sure if it´s true. My experience is, that you only may enter the non-Schengen area with a non-Schengen boarding-pass. But I´m not 100 % sure. At CDG the Priority Pass Lounge is insde the Non-Schengen area. I needed a special pass from the help desk.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 1:22 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by offerendum
Not sure if it´s true. My experience is, that you only may enter the non-Schengen area with a non-Schengen boarding-pass. But I´m not 100 % sure. At CDG the Priority Pass Lounge is insde the Non-Schengen area. I needed a special pass from the help desk.
Each airport operates differently. What applies at CDG may not apply at FRA. I've never been asked to show a boarding pass at passport control in FRA.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 2:58 pm

In FRA you can go to the non-Schengen gates without questions asked. Do it quite a lot to meet up with friends or colleagues in the A lounges.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 4:33 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by praju
If I check in (security) then i cant cancel. I am ok to but some cheap domestic or eu flight in lufthansa.. are you sure, i wont be separated because I am EU zone and she dont have schengen?.. if you guys confirm, i will buy the ticket now.
You can cancel checkin online and refund the ticket afterwards online too.

If you are non-EU citizen, its not not as easy to change Schengen/Non-Schengen in FRA, they will ask questions. If you have a EU residence permit card it may be a bit easier. Just buy a refundable ticket to a non-shengen destination, then you have an official reason to go to the non-shengen area. Just make sure its well after you sisters flight leaves, this gives you enough time to cancel everything and initiate the refund.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.