Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FRA layover (20 hours)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2015, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

FRA layover (20 hours)

I am having a 20 hour layover in FRA in Winter (arriving right before noon). Other FRA layover threads have many recommending Mainz, Wiesbaden and Heidelberg. How feasible is it to do Cologne within this duration? Is it worth doing over the others? Thanks!

Last edited by archangele; Jul 6, 2015 at 1:04 pm Reason: Added more info
Old Jul 6, 2015, 12:46 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
It's 49 minutes via ICE train, so very workable if you wanted to do it.
http://www.bahn.de/i/view/GBR/en/index.shtml
Old Jul 6, 2015, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tom911
It's 49 minutes via ICE train, so very workable if you wanted to do it.
http://www.bahn.de/i/view/GBR/en/index.shtml
Thanks! I guess feasiblility wasn't just the only thing I was looking for. (Edited my original question.) Is it preferable over the other choices? (First time visitor)
Old Jul 6, 2015, 3:39 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Mainz is a nice place if you have a morning flight out and don't want to hassle with a long trip to the airport, or if you expect to be so tired you only want to devote a few hours to walking around. Cologne is more of a destination city where you can tour the Cathedral and old town area, walk across the river next to the railway bridge, and there's no shortage of shopping and cafes. You could easily occupy an entire day there.

I have photos of both cities here:
http://tom911.smugmug.com/Travel-Europe/Germany
Old Jul 6, 2015, 6:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
One advantage of Koln is that the hauptbahnhof is right in the center and very close to the cathedral. Much of the area is a pedestrian shopping zone, including restaurants and bars. Some of the other historic churches, towers, and parts of the old town wall are farther.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tom911
Mainz is a nice place if you have a morning flight out and don't want to hassle with a long trip to the airport, or if you expect to be so tired you only want to devote a few hours to walking around. Cologne is more of a destination city where you can tour the Cathedral and old town area, walk across the river next to the railway bridge, and there's no shortage of shopping and cafes. You could easily occupy an entire day there.

I have photos of both cities here:
http://tom911.smugmug.com/Travel-Europe/Germany

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
One advantage of Koln is that the hauptbahnhof is right in the center and very close to the cathedral. Much of the area is a pedestrian shopping zone, including restaurants and bars. Some of the other historic churches, towers, and parts of the old town wall are farther.
Much appreciated! Some have suggested taking the scenic rail that goes through Koblenz to get to Koeln? Has anyone done this?
Old Jul 7, 2015, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by archangele
Much appreciated! Some have suggested taking the scenic rail that goes through Koblenz to get to Koeln? Has anyone done this?
Never done the scenic rail but did it with car (more or less the same) - highly recommended
Old Jul 7, 2015, 3:54 am

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by archangele
Some have suggested taking the scenic rail that goes through Koblenz to get to Koeln? Has anyone done this?
There are two tracks between Frankfurt airport and Cologne, the scenic one via Mainz/Koblenz and the fast one direct to Cologne.

The former is very scenic, a bit slower but also cheaper to ride! Wonderful views of the Rhine Valley - best to sit on the right if you are going from FRA to Cologne and on the left if you go the other way.

The latter route, which is often non-stop between Cologne and FRA is a dedicated high-speed track which basically follows the course of the motorway and goes hurtling through lots of tunnels on the way, so you don't really see anything. It is quick though!

If I were you I would consider to go up on the scenic route and back on the high-speed.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by AlienInTheFatherland
If I were you I would consider to go up on the scenic route and back on the high-speed.
+1
Old Jul 7, 2015, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

Great! Vielen dank! Thank you very much for all the input. If others have suggestions, more than welcome!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.