Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Berlin Tegel Terminal E- United Airlines

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2015, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

Berlin Tegel Terminal E- United Airlines

Saturday im taking a flight from EWR-TXL. I have been following it on flightaware and saw that the United Airlines flight arrives at gate E18 almost daily. As I am having people pick me up from the airport and having no experience with this specific airport, i cant seem to find anything about terminal E. When i look at the google street view it doesnt even list a terminal E on any of the visible road signs. SO my question is, where should I have my ride pick me up? what should I tell them? when i go through immigration will there be viable exit or will i have to walk to a near-by terminal? thanks for any advice!
Old Jun 25, 2015, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
There is no Terminal E at TXL. Perhaps it is the coding used for using a remote stand. Is EWR-TXL now using the 763? If so, it helps explain using the remote stands. All of the AB TATL flights I've taken to TXL have used the remote stands. As TXL gate space is at capacity. Particularly for widebodies.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 2:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
TXL is a very small (and 'thin') airport, with usually less than 100ft between gate and exit. The people picking you up can see what gate you will be landing at from a large outdoor screen showing arrival and departure gates, which is located just before you get to the airport proper. The best strategy for you would be to go to the closest exit from where you leave immigration, and your greeters should be there.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 3:35 am

Maybe this terminal map helps: http://www.berlin-airport.de/de/_dok...inal-de-en.pdf

Terminal E indeed seems to be an exit for remote stand arrivals. IIRC there is no real parking/waiting space right in front of it. Guess it would make most sense for your greeters to use the short-term car park that is attached to Terminal A (P1) and then walk over.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 5:01 am

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
As a 757 the EWR-TXL has always been using A14 ( I espy it regularly from the BA lounge which is just above!)

But this gate is no longer an option for a widebody as rightly pointed out above, so off to an external position then a bus transfer on arrival.

I believe there is only one position in the main terminal (A) onto which widebodies can fit without blocking a further gate to each side and that is A0/A1. This is a combination of two gates. AB always seem to hog this for their AUH, JFK and ORD flights and usually they do not use it for disembarkation, but only for embarkation.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses, but I have one more question, is it possible to walk from E arrival to Terminal A concourse while being inside? on google maps street view i dont see any external walkway but only an exit road from terminal A
Old Jun 26, 2015, 10:30 am

Well E is not really a terminal!! It's an apron position near the hangars where aircraft maintenance is done. There are no airbridges and you will come down stairs to be bussed to a real terminal, either D or A, which are joined to each other (won't be B or C since these are airberlin terminals).

There you will clear border police, collect luggage and exit landside, either in A or D. As stated up-thread, your collecting party should be able to decipher from the arrivals board at the entry to the airport which gate this will be.

Last edited by AlienInTheFatherland; Jun 27, 2015 at 2:28 am
Old Jun 26, 2015, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

ok thank you for the information.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 2:02 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GfL, Lufthansa SEN, Hilton Diamond, misc other stuff
Terminal E is an arrival-only terminal. It has a baggage claim area and immigration. You'll have to leave the sterile area to get to the A gates. You don't have to leave the terminal buildings and could use the staircase in between A and E that also leads up to the BA and AF lounge. This will be right next to the A14 gate from where the UA EWR flight will leave.

Afaik TXL-EWR now uses a 764 and not 763 but that's based on Expertflyer and might be wrong.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

for summer United ewr-txl is operating with a 767-400 due to peak season i guess
Old Jun 26, 2015, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by 11madmic
for summer United ewr-txl is operating with a 767-400 due to peak season i guess
Actually, they announced not too long ago that the route was going to be flown with a 767 going forward.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 4:10 am

Originally Posted by El_Duderito
Terminal E is an arrival-only terminal. It has a baggage claim area and immigration.
Well how right you are! I hadn't noticed that Terminal E even existed despite using TXL for over thirty years now. I actually only ever remember going through D a couple of times or passing that way to reach the old hire car centre, but I never saw a sign for E!

I assumed that E-positions on the apron are equivalent to V-positions at FRA, where you disembark at V but then get bussed to a proper terminal A-E or Z. There is no such thing as a Terminal V in FRA!

In truly quirky TXL tradition we then appear to have an arrivals only terminal (E) and a corresponding departures only terminal (B) as well as a double-gated departure only position A0/A1.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 7:38 am

TXL is so small you can go for a long time without really paying too much attention to terminals. It's changed a bit since they added on stuff (which is ironic in itself given the place should have been shut down 3 years ago) but in terms of navigation it's the sort of place where a mistake costs you at worst 10 minutes.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 12:54 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Slightly off topic question. I'll be flying TXL-EWR on the UA 764 next week, is the gate near the LH Lounge? If not, what about the Priority Pass Lounge (the Berlin Airportclub Lounge)?
Old Jun 28, 2015, 2:31 pm

It looks as if the flight is still using Gate A14 for boarding (but probably bussing out to the external position, since the widebody won't fit on the stand).

If that continues to be the case on the day you fly, then the LH lounge is really pretty near max 100m away. Just follw the yellow signs to the lounge which is upstairs on the mezannine level of the front of Terminal A.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.