Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Frankfurt airport rental car return when flying out on LH in T1

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2015, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Frankfurt airport rental car return when flying out on LH in T1

My apologies if this is the wrong place for my Q, as my search of FT did not reveal a FRA forum per se, and I thought LH FF'ers would be likely to know the answer.

A few years ago, twice, when I returned a rental car at FRA it was very difficult, poorly signed, and I landed up going in circles quite a bit getting nervous about missing my flight, and having to stop at a curb and ask a traffic guard where to go.

I have not returned a rental car at the FRA airport in a few years ( have either been just connecting in FRA to other cities, or taking a nice train in, no cars) but I will be flying FRA-IST out of Terminal 1 on LH in a couple months and I do not want to get lost again or waste time when returning my car the morning pre-flight ( I am renting the car originally in Koblenz). The FRA PDF map on the internet is not that helpful, ( Europcar, my rental company this time, and any rental car return site for that matter is not on the map for returns, only for initial rentals)and Europcar and FRA discussion websites just say follow signs to P1,2,3. Some people on travel sites on internet have said, 'watch out! poorly signed, easy to miss.' I am hoping to do better than that in my planning. Any tips would be appreciated. Vielen Dank in advance!
I will be coming into FRA from the direction of Koblenz, if that makes a difference.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 8:45 pm

Programs: LH HON
It is still poorly signed and due the construction site (is it still there?) even more ridiculous - at least for Terminal 1.

T2 is a breeze tho.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 2:23 am

While I agree that it is not great, as with most things in FRA your best bet is to just follow the signs. IIRC you have to follow for the parkings and then on your left there will be a tight and poorly signaled entrance to the rental car return.

Of course if you can allow an extra 15 minutes it's best. Good luck!
Old Jun 15, 2015, 3:24 am

it clearly writes car rental return, just follow the signs
Old Jun 15, 2015, 1:44 pm

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
I returned with no trouble of finding the place about a year ago. But then I did not refuel the car as there was no obvious place to do it. OTOH the refuelling charge was very reasonable, unlike sometimes in US.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 2:05 pm

Programs: A3*G, OZ*G, OW Sapphire
Just pull up to the FCT and let them do the rest!
Old Jun 22, 2015, 5:11 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
There are two gas stations at the Airport. One Esso station is at the Steigenberger airport hotel. Just follow the signs for the hotel and you will find the station. A second gas station (Shell) is at the LH base (Gate 21). The Esso Station is easier to find. If you have a navigation system just search for Steigenberger airport hotel.

The rental car return at T1 is at parking area P2/P3. Arriving from Koblenz you will probably arrive on the A3. Take the exit for Frankfurt Airport. Follow the signs to Terminal 1. At the on ramp for Terminal 1 you will see the signs for P2 / P3 and the rental car return. As soon as you are in the return area look for your rental car company signs.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 2:37 pm

Programs: BA, Best Western, Miles & More
When returning the car at Frankfurt check the car over thoroughly as they discovered scratches and dents that were already there and attempted to charge us €750. Be very careful and don't let them try to intimidate you. We will never return a rental car to Frankfurt Again as we had such a bad experience there.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 1:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Tanya934
When returning the car at Frankfurt check the car over thoroughly as they discovered scratches and dents that were already there and attempted to charge us €750. Be very careful and don't let them try to intimidate you. We will never return a rental car to Frankfurt Again as we had such a bad experience there.
Your experience will have had little to do with Frankfurt car rental per se, however.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 12:23 pm

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, IHG plat, DB Comfort, SPG gold
Having returned a car in FRA just recently, I might add that the entrance to the car rental return parking is the first on the left hand side, just at the spot where the lane splits up between the generally accessible drop-off area and the hotel bus/taxi/coach/whatever lane. You'll need to do a very sharp left turn (more than 90deg) in order to enter the rental return area (when I was there, there were construction barriers right next to the entrance and I almost thought that it was closed, so don't be fooled by that). Once inside the car park, there are several areas for the different car rental companies which are clearly signposted (each company has an own "room" with parking spots and counters).

However, upon exiting the rental return area on foot, prepare for a walk though a quite long corridor which will eventually lead you to the A arrivals area, right next to the McD and Nordsee fast food restaurants. Depending on your amount of luggage, you should plan 10 to 15 minutes to get to the check-in area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.