Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

German train drivers' union calls for six-day strike from May 20 (Strike ended May 21

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 18, 2015, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Union Action regarding train service of Deutsche Bahn
May 19, 2015 15:00 CEST to open end, but announced to last over the next (Pentecost) weekend (May 25, 2015)

The trade union and the Deutsche Bahn agreed about a mediation, in so far the union is no lonfger on strike.
Deutsche Bahn tries to resume normal operation as quickly as possible, but there might be some effects to train service in the next couple of of hours (read 24 hours). In so far, if you travel within the next 24 hours, check out the links posted below.

Freight service on strike from May 19, 15:00 CEST
Passenger service on strike from May 20, 02:00 CEST

Information are available on http://www.bahn.de/p/view/home/info/streik_gdl_150519.shtml

Details of the timetable with a reduced service (so call "Notfahrplan") will be released on afternoon of May 19, 2015.

Deutsche Bahn has uploaded the schedule for the trains. There is no PDF this time and you can see the trains running on the linke above.

But it seems, that e.g. the trains Frankfurt - Amsterdam are running meaning Frankfurt to e.g. Cologne or Düsseldorf are not a problems and Frankfurt to Munich is also at least once an hour. Regional trains are reduced, but the main line are also running at least every 60 minutes.

According to the information on the homepage of Deutsche Bahn, you can switch to another train, even if this means you switch from Regionalexpress to ICE.

Alternativ können Reisende den nächsten - auch höherwertigen - Zug nutzen. In diesem Fall wird bei zuggebundenen Angeboten, wie beispielsweise Sparpreis-Tickets, auch die Zugbindung aufgehoben. Ausgenommen hiervon sind regionale Angebote mit erheblich ermäßigtem Fahrpreis (Schönes Wochenende-, Quer-durchs-Land- oder Länder-Tickets) sowie reservierungspflichtige Züge.
The only exception are special tickets or train, where a reservation is mandatory (e.g. Thalys running from Essen / Cologne / Frankfurt / Stuttgart / Karlsruhe to Belgium / France)
Print Wikipost

German train drivers' union calls for six-day strike from May 20 (Strike ended May 21

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2015, 8:27 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany
Original Poster

It's goundhog day for all Deutsche Bahn customers:

Union Action regarding train service of Deutsche Bahn
May 19, 2015 15:00 CEST to open end, but announced to last over the next (Pentecost) weekend (May 25, 2015)

Freight service on strike from May 19, 15:00 CEST
Passenger service on strike from May 20, 02:00 CEST

Will update the Wiki once information become available ...

Current information in German:
FAZ: http://www.faz.net/aktuell/wirtschaf...-13599010.html
Tagesschau: http://www.tagesschau.de/wirtschaft/gdl-197.html
Old May 18, 2015, 8:29 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
It's like they have a contest with LH to see who can go on strike more. Ugh.
Old May 18, 2015, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
They had a "battle" at a German Comedy Show. Which Union is the most unsympathic. Itīs with English subtitles:

Old May 19, 2015, 7:40 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Oh goody. Hopefully this means that they'll take a couple weeks off from striking while I'm in Germany...
Old May 19, 2015, 11:46 am

Programs: DL PM
I have a reservation for a long distance train on Thursday that has been cancelled.

There are other trains that are still running that would work instead.

Does anyone know whether it is possible to switch the reservation in advance without paying extra fees or doing a cancel/rebook? According to the DB policy on the strike, all long distance trains can be switched without penalty, but I don't understand if I can do this in advance, or need to do it at the station, or if I should just get on the train I wish to use instead without any action needed.

Can someone help?
Old May 19, 2015, 12:12 pm
DTS

Programs: AS 75k, A3 Gold, AC 25k, IHG Plat
Even with some trains operating, I'd expect a lot of chaos over the next couple of days. If possible, I would recommend to switch to a rental car or a long distance bus, or even a ride share.
Old May 19, 2015, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by DTS
Even with some trains operating, I'd expect a lot of chaos over the next couple of days. If possible, I would recommend to switch to a rental car or a long distance bus, or even a ride share.
or flight ^
Old May 19, 2015, 11:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by third_wave
I have a reservation for a long distance train on Thursday that has been cancelled.

There are other trains that are still running that would work instead.

Does anyone know whether it is possible to switch the reservation in advance without paying extra fees or doing a cancel/rebook? According to the DB policy on the strike, all long distance trains can be switched without penalty, but I don't understand if I can do this in advance, or need to do it at the station, or if I should just get on the train I wish to use instead without any action needed.

Can someone help?
According to the information on the homepage of Deutsche Bahn, you can switch to another train, even if this means you switch from Regionalexpress to ICE.

Alternativ können Reisende den nächsten - auch höherwertigen - Zug nutzen. In diesem Fall wird bei zuggebundenen Angeboten, wie beispielsweise Sparpreis-Tickets, auch die Zugbindung aufgehoben. Ausgenommen hiervon sind regionale Angebote mit erheblich ermäßigtem Fahrpreis (Schönes Wochenende-, Quer-durchs-Land- oder Länder-Tickets) sowie reservierungspflichtige Züge.
The only exception are special tickets or train, where a reservation is mandatory (usually the Thalys running from Essen / Cologne / Frankfurt to Belgium / France)
Old May 19, 2015, 11:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DTS
Good luck in getting a rental car ...

From my experience, the majority of the trains running where in time or not much delayed, but of course there are those excpetions of long delays, which hit the media. I have had some business trips during the last strike and every single of my four trains were on time. You need some more planing, but the so called Notfahrplan is usually reliable.

The advantage is, that you can take every train running with the ticket you have bought (a few exceptions, see Wiki). And a colleague was even allowed to take the Thalys from Cologne to Aachen, so if you ask nicely, even the excluded trains might be usable.

Of course there might be languare barriers at some service centers or if talking to train staff.
Old May 20, 2015, 6:47 am

Train canceled... so can I....?

use my ICE ticket on any other ICE train the same day? day earlier? different routing as long as the start and end stops are the same?

Can I buy a seat reservation on the new ICE train so I will have a place to sit even though my ticket is for another train?
Old May 20, 2015, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by forgiveomatic
use my ICE ticket on any other ICE train the same day? day earlier? different routing as long as the start and end stops are the same?
Same day no Problem, donīt know the day before.

Originally Posted by forgiveomatic
Can I buy a seat reservation on the new ICE train so I will have a place to sit even though my ticket is for another train?
Sure, at least you can try. I doubt you are able to snatch a seat.
Old May 20, 2015, 10:38 am

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by offerendum
They had a "battle" at a German Comedy Show. Which Union is the most unsympathic. Itīs with English subtitles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cS1OwRgzzhM
Thank you for this, made me chuckle.
Old May 20, 2015, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Is this affecting both ICE and RE trains? It seems most ICE trains are running on schedule. How about S-bahn, is that affected?
Old May 20, 2015, 8:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by Time traveller
Is this affecting both ICE and RE trains? It seems most ICE trains are running on schedule. How about S-bahn, is that affected?
In Munich the S8 was operating on a normal schedule from Pasing to the airport. No S1 to the airport and there were reductions on the other lines. I was worried about getting up to the airport for my flight this morning so got a lot earlier S8 train this morning than usual. Actually managed to get a seat anyway which I don't always manage at the best of times.
Old May 20, 2015, 11:48 pm
Original Poster

The trade union and the Deutsche Bahn agreed about a mediation. This means the strike has ended with immeadiate effect. The press release was send a couple of minutes ago, in so far, not everybody might already know about it.

Deutsche Bahn tries to resume normal operation as quickly as possible, but there might be some effects to train service in the next couple of of hours (read 24 hours)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.