Reload this Page >

Oktoberfest 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oktoberfest 2016

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2015, 1:39 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by goodeats21
I have stayed at Marriott's in Munich several times for Oktoberfest visits. Not as difficult as you might think....though agree it is not a sure thing. As always, flexibility with dates helps a lot.
The downtown location might be tough, but the full service Marriott is just a short U/S Bahn ride away and made a great base for a short visit. Certainly better then ~$400 a night anywhere around Munich.

I also was able to score award flights with United miles, though it was in economy class.
Looking at sbm12s Hotel Hustle it seems spg has some decent 7000-10000pts/night awards available this year. Marriott is more like 30k
Old May 28, 2015, 2:52 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Hertz might have cars located in Germany that will need to be returned to Poland. No drop fees. Check http://www.hertz-transfer.eu/.
Old May 28, 2015, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Looking at sbm12s Hotel Hustle it seems spg has some decent 7000-10000pts/night awards available this year. Marriott is more like 30k
I am not really conversant in the SPG program. I understand their points to be worth more then most other hotel programs, so no idea how to compare 10k SPG points to 30k Marriott points. Might be a great option for some.

I will say that use of points for hotel rooms during Oktoberfest has to be the highest hotel redemption value I have ever managed to obtain. Great use of points over cash, regardless of the program. And I am pretty impressed that the hotels have award stays possible during Oktoberfest...the very definition of a high-demand special event.

And thanks for the link to the "Hotel Hustle". I had not seen that before...looks pretty cool.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 7:48 am

Programs: HH Silver
LMAO, I thought I was an early planner. I just started planning my Oktoberfest 2016 trip last night, and found that someone else had beat me to it.

So, suggestions on a decent hotel anyone? Preferably in the neighborhood that is closest walking distance to any gay bars and clubs, but also easy to commute to the festival grounds.

TYIA.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 6:39 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Flying Blue (KLM) Platinum, Oneworld (BA) Sapphire, *A (Aegean) Gold, IHG Spire RA,
For hotel I do not know. But I always prefer the Hippodrome tent to go to! But someone told me this is closed??
i wrote about it before. http://www.christravelblog.com/germa...-and-beer-tbt/
Old Jul 4, 2015, 11:04 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BAEC Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
Indeed. I have heard they closed the former Hippodrome, meaning it is now easier to get a table for the new successor tent.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 11:30 am

Random question: Does Oktoberfest actually offer anything for people who do not drink beer?
My stomach does not really like to digest it and returns back through the top channel 30min after consumption
Old Jul 5, 2015, 6:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mrgreen
Random question: Does Oktoberfest actually offer anything for people who do not drink beer?
My stomach does not really like to digest it and returns back through the top channel 30min after consumption
There are plenty of other things to drink (water, wine,...) I find that looking at women in dirndl is very nice.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 9:52 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Flying Blue (KLM) Platinum, Oneworld (BA) Sapphire, *A (Aegean) Gold, IHG Spire RA,
Originally Posted by JFSV
Indeed. I have heard they closed the former Hippodrome, meaning it is now easier to get a table for the new successor tent.
a share; it was one of the best tents!
Old Jul 7, 2015, 3:38 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Originally Posted by JFSV
Hippodrome lost its licence after some serious tax evasion was discovered. The new tent in its place, the Marstall, is equally expensive and tries to court the rich and famous. Sadly its equally booked out. At the Hippodrome I always got 2-3 reservations of 8/10 seater tables in the evening, with Marstall I got two last year and only one this year
Old Jul 7, 2015, 3:56 am

PS: Just called Marstall to update another booking, it seems they are sold out in the evening shift (19:00-22:00) every day now, but have some openings during the week in the afternoon (15:00-18:00).
Old Aug 5, 2015, 9:27 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by goodeats21
I have stayed at Marriott's in Munich several times for Oktoberfest visits. Not as difficult as you might think....though agree it is not a sure thing.
To add to that... I've booked Hilton for Oktoberfest twice. They charge through the nose for points (70k a night) but the rooms are there. IHG also has availability in Munich using points during Oktoberfest, I could even book right now at at least one Holiday Inn in Munich for the 2015 Oktoberfest.

Last edited by Zeeb; Aug 5, 2015 at 9:35 am
Old Aug 11, 2015, 2:11 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by Zeeb
To add to that... I've booked Hilton for Oktoberfest twice. They charge through the nose for points (70k a night) but the rooms are there. IHG also has availability in Munich using points during Oktoberfest, I could even book right now at at least one Holiday Inn in Munich for the 2015 Oktoberfest.
Both Hiltons are listed as going down to 50k points/night in October. Since Oktoberfest 2016 goes until Oct 3, that may be an option for anyone wanting to attend the closing weekend if they open up any availability.

I think I'm going the first week of Oktoberfest 2016 for two nights. I'm debating between 7k/night at Sheraton Westpark, 10k/night at Le Meridien, or booking one of the IHG properties when they open for booking. Any recommendations?
Old Aug 11, 2015, 2:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Meridien is both closer and better.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 5:26 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Meridien is both closer and better.
Yeah, the only two hotels I've stayed at in Munich are the Meridien and the Hilton Munich City and between the two I give the Meridien the edge for sure. Hilton is where I have my points though, and is directly on the U-bahn. So slightly less convenient/nice is worth dealing with for no charge! If I was actually paying I'd go with the Meridian.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.