Wiki Posts
Search

FRA Departure Time

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2015, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
FRA Departure Time

I'm attempting to do something that I otherwise wouldn't normally do with regards to flying out of FRA. I have a 10.00 flight back to DFW, but I probably wouldn't be through the front doors of FRA and at security until 9.15. I'll be flying J, so I'd have access to priority lines. Also, no checked luggage.

Am I nuts for even contemplating this? I've connected at FRA quite a few times, but I've never cut it this close on a departing flight.

Thanks for any advice.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 9:38 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by longhorn11
I'm attempting to do something that I otherwise wouldn't normally do with regards to flying out of FRA. I have a 10.00 flight back to DFW, but I probably wouldn't be through the front doors of FRA and at security until 9.15. I'll be flying J, so I'd have access to priority lines. Also, no checked luggage.

Am I nuts for even contemplating this? I've connected at FRA quite a few times, but I've never cut it this close on a departing flight.

Thanks for any advice.
Assuming you are flying on LH you should be ok since the check-in and bag-drop deadline in FRA for Business and First passengers is 30 mins. It might actually be advantageous to check a bag since the flight will not depart without you (or until they off-load your bag).

Check your departure gate in advance and don't waste any time walking through the terminal.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 9:38 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
I'd say you're nuts. You'd essentially be showing up at the airport when boarding starts and need to get through both security and passport control.

That being said, I'm sure the alternative isn't awesome, which is why you're looking at this in the first place...
Old Feb 18, 2015, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Assuming you are flying on LH you should be ok since the check-in and bag-drop deadline in FRA for Business and First passengers is 30 mins. It might actually be advantageous to check a bag since the flight will not depart without you (or until they off-load your bag).

Check your departure gate in advance and don't waste any time walking through the terminal.
I completely forgot about that re a checked bag, it could be arranged...

Yes, I'll be on LH. I guess what has me worried is if by some small miracle I make it, my seat would be given up. I'll have a colleague on the plane, but it's not like she can block the door.

Originally Posted by ffsim
I'd say you're nuts. You'd essentially be showing up at the airport when boarding starts and need to get through both security and passport control.

That being said, I'm sure the alternative isn't awesome, which is why you're looking at this in the first place...
It isn't. I've worked myself into a corner with a meeting I absolutely have to attend that morning downtown, and I need to be back in Dallas that afternoon.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 10:17 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
It isn't. I've worked myself into a corner with a meeting I absolutely have to attend that morning downtown, and I need to be back in Dallas that afternoon.
Good luck! Let us know how it goes
Old Feb 18, 2015, 10:51 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
I'll have a colleague on the plane, but it's not like she can block the door.
Make sure you check in online. Also get your colleague to check a bag, go shopping and 'forget' to board until you turn up.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 11:00 am

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
I've worked myself into a corner with a meeting I absolutely have to attend that morning downtown, and I need to be back in Dallas that afternoon.
Quite what time will this vital meeting commence?

If you anticipate arriving at the airport at 09:15 then let's say it finishes at 08:45.

So is it scheduled to start at 07:00 or before that?

How very uncivilized.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by AlienInTheFatherland

If you anticipate arriving at the airport at 09:15 then let's say it finishes at 08:45.

How very uncivilized.
I expected the meeting to be perhaps "off the books" as his colleague would already be on the plane
Old Feb 18, 2015, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AlienInTheFatherland

How very uncivilized.
Originally Posted by ffsim
I expected the meeting to be perhaps "off the books" as his colleague would already be on the plane
You could say that... It's actually an introduction that could be quite beneficial in the future.

It was rather unexpected, but it's a client that will be driving back to München, as I'm (hopefully) flying back to Dallas. It was the only day we could both make a face to face meeting possible.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 12:11 pm

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
It was rather unexpected, but it's a client that will be driving back to München, as I'm (hopefully) flying back to Dallas. It was the only day we could both make a face to face meeting possible.
Well get him to meet you at the airport (he would almost certainly have to drive past there anyway on a route from downtown Frankfurt to Munich). Have Weisswürste at Käfers in Terminal B departure concourse.

This would get you to FRA half an hour earlier and tbqh at that time of day you do need to allow extra time for security clearance at FRA, even on fast track
Old Feb 19, 2015, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Flew from FRA a few days ago. I think I needed 15 minutes including dropping bags, passport control and (after visiting the lounge) security. So it´s possible, but I woudn´t do it. Missed my flight in HCM last week because a nice 3 hour delay by Cathay Pacific. So instead of a 1 hour Business Class flight I won a 13 hour taxi-drive
Old Feb 21, 2015, 5:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I'd say it's very dicey. Priority lines or not, at that time of day it can be very busy so it's all down to luck on the day. The idea of having your meeting at the airport is good; that's what I would do.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 11:10 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Checkin cutoff at MUC & FRA for LH is 30-35min. 45 min is easy peasy, especially in business.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 2:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Checkin cutoff at MUC & FRA for LH is 30-35min. 45 min is easy peasy, especially in business.
You'd risk showing up at FRA 45 mins from takeoff in the morning on a flight to the US...it can work, but 'easy peasy' is not what I'd call it!
Old Feb 26, 2015, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by LondonElite
You'd risk showing up at FRA 45 mins from takeoff in the morning on a flight to the US...it can work, but 'easy peasy' is not what I'd call it!
If LH is willing to let you check in at 45 minutes then they're willing to allow you a subsequent 10-15 minutes to get to the gate. I'm with liver o this one.

Last edited by Xyzzy; Mar 2, 2015 at 12:52 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.