Germany Car Rental Tips

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Germany Car Rental Tips

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2017, 7:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I've seen additional penalties on rental cars if you never purchased gas for the gas versus having bought some gas but returning it without the full tank. Sometimes the return agents ask whether you bought gas; it's a good idea to have the receipt handy to show.

The person who posted the receipt might want to check what the mileage on the vehicle should have been for autobahn driving and then calculate fuel usage from the 339 km. IME these European diesels go very very far before needing much fuel.
I drove a diesel volvo (not sure what model of car) and I only used 1/3 of the fuel..it did not reach 50% usage of the tank so was a bit surprised they hit me with the full charge for fuel when there was still 50% at least in the tank and it was diesel, not even petrol.

Agreed, they did have penalties for returning the car without a full tank but I think a bit of common sense on their part is needed and not to seem like they are ripping customers off.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 3:27 am

Programs: Miles & More, Amex
Originally Posted by oliver2002
A rental I did with Hertz ex MUC in April had 4.20€/l inkl 19%VAT as a clause in the rental contract. The clause is perfectly legal, and is explained in the fine print in the back.
Even though I am not a lawyer, I know that there are limits in terms of what you can charge in relation to the "official" prices. This is regardless of what the contract terms are saying. If there were no such rules in terms of what is legally acceptabel and what not, then racketeering would be legal instantly.

As I mentioned, if Hertz is not correcting this, I would seek legal advice in terms of what is allowed and what not.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 3:33 am
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by Scrooge McDuck
Even though I am not a lawyer, I know that there are limits in terms of what you can charge in relation to the "official" prices. This is regardless of what the contract terms are saying. If there were no such rules in terms of what is legally acceptabel and what not, then racketeering would be legal instantly.

As I mentioned, if Hertz is not correcting this, I would seek legal advice in terms of what is allowed and what not.
Have just sent my email to them appealing the fuel charge amount. Let's see what transpires. It was terribly excessive so let's see if it was an error or if it was the correct amount they feel they are entitled to charge or if the gentleman who recieved the car from me just felt like screwing me over.

Will keep everyone updated once I get a reply.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 4:17 am

Programs: Miles & More, Amex
Good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.