Wiki Posts
Search

Six days Cologne to Munich

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2015, 4:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist

In July, I'll have 6 days/nights to make my way from Cologne to Munich. I'm trying to decide how to spend them. I've been to Berlin before so wanted to explore other parts of Germany. I see my options as 2 nights in Cologne, 2 in either Hamburg Frankfurt or Leipzig, and 2 in Munich, or 3 nights in Cologne (maybe 1 in Bonn or Dusseldorf) and 3 in Munich.
I will be traveling alone. Typically I enjoy wandering cities, not a big church or art museum visitor, quirky sites are better.
Any thoughts appreciated! Thanks
Old Jan 23, 2015, 4:24 am

Every city you mentioned except Bonn is large and was heavily bombed during WW2. There are several towns and cities that were virtually untouched during the war located between Cologne and Munich. I would suggest maybe Heidelberg for 2 nights followed by Wurzburg (fire bombed but historical buildings restored) with a side trip to the quaint town of Ochsenfurt and then on to Rothenburg ob der Tabor (touristy but really a cute gingerbread town), then on to Regensburg and Munich. If you were planning to going to the Lepsig area, then I would suggest Erfurt as it is the largest city in Germany that was untouched by the war. Just google the towns I mentioned and click on images for a better take on my suggestions.

Last edited by bigbuy; Jan 23, 2015 at 4:30 am
Old Jan 24, 2015, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Cologne - Hamburg - Munich is not a clever route, you loose too much time. To be honest we make jokes in Germany that someone drives from the Ruhrgebiet (near Cologne) via Berlin or Hamburg. Do Heidelberg, Frankfurt, the Alps, Rothenburg (OK, small but nice), Stuttgart or Mainz instead. Nürnberg could also be an option.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 1:47 pm

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
Go on the train down the Rhine from Cologne and stop off in Koblenz, Mainz, Heidelberg, then perhaps on to Nürnberg on the way to Munich if you go the "upper route" or via Freiburg, Konstanz and Lindau if you stay on the Rhine and take the "lower route"
Old Jan 24, 2015, 3:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
If travelling by train for 6 days I'd do a tour of Cologne-Wurzburg-Erfurt-Leipzig-Bamberg-Munich. All legs on the ICE with no station changes
Old Jan 27, 2015, 4:06 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
I would also recommend Heidelberg.
One of the highlights for me was the funikulars going up the mountain. The second funikular is a very old one. Very good view.
There is a very nice Marriott by the river.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist

Thanks all. I've been to Salzburg and agree it's a wonderful city. I've decided to just do 3 nights in Cologne and 3 in Munich and can do day trips from each. thanks for all the tips!
Old Feb 15, 2015, 10:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Adam1222
Thanks all. I've been to Salzburg and agree it's a wonderful city. I've decided to just do 3 nights in Cologne and 3 in Munich and can do day trips from each. thanks for all the tips!
When in Munich, do NOT miss visiting Dachau camp. Truly life changing experience.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 11:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by AlienInTheFatherland
Go on the train down the Rhine from Cologne and stop off in Koblenz, Mainz, Heidelberg, then perhaps on to Nürnberg on the way to Munich if you go the "upper route" or via Freiburg, Konstanz and Lindau if you stay on the Rhine and take the "lower route"
I like this idea.

If you rent a car, do the Romantik Road. [It hits Rothenburg and Fussen. Deidesheim and Rudesheim are nice wine villages.]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.