Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Berlin city tax payable on hotel award stays?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Berlin city tax payable on hotel award stays?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2014, 12:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Fanjet
Some Berlin hotels are strict about this. And don't just rely upon a signature affirmation.
How so?

Moreover, it is a little harder to claim that an award stay is for business purposes.
Why?
Old Nov 30, 2014, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by LondonElite
How so?
Some will require a letter from the company stating that the stay is for business purposes (usually if the rate booked is not a contracted corporate rate). However, this can be circumvented by someone making up such a letter on company letterhead paper.
Why?
Because most people travelling for their work on business have their company re-imburse them for their hotel expenses. And the employee doesn't normally "pick-up the tab" for them by using their award points.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 8:46 pm

Some will require a letter from the company stating that the stay is for business purposes (usually if the rate booked is not a contracted corporate rate). However, this can be circumvented by someone making up such a letter on company letterhead paper.

Because most people travelling for their work on business have their company re-imburse them for their hotel expenses. And the employee doesn't normally "pick-up the tab" for them by using their award points.
+1
I asked the staff at the Sofitel Ku'damm how to take off the city tax and they said that I would need a signed letter stating that my visit was for business purposes from the German firm that I was visiting.

In the end, the hassle wasn't worth the $30 or so that I would've saved. A 5% tax is pretty minimal, even for your 1,500 EUR stay.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 9:13 pm

Programs: A3*G
You all should be proud to give your money to Berlin - we need it for our new airport
Old Nov 30, 2014, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vantom
You all should be proud to give your money to Berlin - we need it for our new airport
That's my view on it and why I don't mind paying the small fee. Berlin is like a second home to me and it needs all of the money it can generate. I can still eat and drink there like a king on a pauper's budget, unlike a city such as Paris, Oslo, Zurich, or London. So I "re-coup" the city hotel guest tax that way.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 2:56 am
Suspended

Well, I'm not saying it didn't happen, but I'm in Berlin almost every other week, and since this tax has been introduced I've stayed at the Adlon, Grand Hyatt, both Sofitels, the Ritz Carlton, and at least two other hotels. I've never had anything more challenging than "Are you staying with us for business purposes?" to which I reply "Yes." The Hyatt initially went through a period of losing my business address, but they got better when I reminded them that I was running out of business cards. A few weeks ago I stayed there with my wife and four children and again said that I was staying there for business, which I was.

I would find it very odd to be asked by a hotel staff member to present a letter from my company confirming that I was staying in the hotel on business. By definition almost, many/most people in hotels are from a different city/country, where this procedure would not be known. And I doubt it would stand up to a challenge by the guest anyway. And what if you own your own company? Do you write yourself your own doctor's note?
Old Dec 1, 2014, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
I saw a self-declaration formular. So you definitivly don`t need a letter of your company.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Well, I'm not saying it didn't happen, but I'm in Berlin almost every other week, and since this tax has been introduced I've stayed at the Adlon, Grand Hyatt, both Sofitels, the Ritz Carlton, and at least two other hotels. I've never had anything more challenging than "Are you staying with us for business purposes?" to which I reply "Yes." The Hyatt initially went through a period of losing my business address, but they got better when I reminded them that I was running out of business cards. A few weeks ago I stayed there with my wife and four children and again said that I was staying there for business, which I was.
The practice of asking someone if they are staying on business or leisure has pre-dated this tax. Most hotels will do this for their sales department; as it could be a possible sales lead to establish a company contract. I would closely examine the rate you are booking. If it is a corporate rate (where you have to enter a code while booking), then the problem is solved right there. However, what I find many Berlin hotels are doing (in regards to the general rates) is they are automatically including the city tourist tax into the rate (along with the VAT). So, if you see a rate for 89 Euros listed, for example, look a little further into the rate details. As it may say something like "All taxes included in the room rate including the 7% VAT and 5% city tourist tax."
Old Dec 1, 2014, 4:13 pm
Suspended

Yes, correct. The tourist tax is then deducted when you tell them that you are there on business.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 11:50 am

I thought this tax was such a dumb thing when it was introduced. The city finally found a winner in the blossoming tourism industry and of course the reaction is to tax it rather than to help it. Typical SPD mentality.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by Ber2dca
Typical SPD mentality.
I thought some CDU-cities has this stupid tax too. But you are right, it`s SPD stuff. You find it in Dortmund (most attractive city in Germany), Bremen, Erfurt (who isn`t dreaming from holidays in Erfurt) and Cologne. Also a lot of cities has a "Kurtaxe" but this is something really different.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by offerendum
I thought some CDU-cities has this stupid tax too. But you are right, it`s SPD stuff. You find it in Dortmund (most attractive city in Germany), Bremen, Erfurt (who isn`t dreaming from holidays in Erfurt) and Cologne. Also a lot of cities has a "Kurtaxe" but this is something really different.
I love Erfurt. Lots of pre-war buildings still standing intact.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

I love Erfurt. Lots of pre-war buildings still standing intact.
OK, OK my father would say the same. Itīs indeed a nice city with the stunning Domplatz. But it`s not a place were I like to pay a tourist-tax or which is a centre of international tourism. So they should do everything to give people a reason to stay.....

For me the whole tax isn`t too important, as I stay 90% in German hotels for business reasons. At least I have a business reason to visit
Old Dec 8, 2014, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
I stayed at the Le Meridien in Munich in September on points and left with $0 owed.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pkerr
I stayed at the Le Meridien in Munich in September on points and left with $0 owed.
I'm not aware of any additional taxes (outside of the VAT) being levied there. However, in many parts of Upper Bavaria, there is a tax placed on each hotel guest (not a tax on the room rate). I think they are referred to as an environmental tax.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.