Wiki Posts
Search

Berlin WelcomeCard

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2014, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Thumbs down Berlin WelcomeCard

I purchased a Berlin WelcomeCard before a recent trip so that I could start my travels from Schönefeld airport on the S-Bahn without hassle.

It's entirely my fault that I arrived in Germany with the WelcomeCard booklet but without the ticket itself - so I had to buy a new one. (And that was on the day when both DB and the Berlin S-Bahn was on strike!)

I was surprised by two things when I contacted the Visit Berlin people to ask for help (after I got home to find the original waiting for me):

1. They can't offer any kind of credit against a future trip.

2. When I pressed for a more sympathetic response, I was told to take the ticket with the invoice to a downtown Berlin office before May 2015 when they'll consider swapping for 2015 passes on payment of the difference. (So if I decide to take up this offer I have to pay separately to get from the airport and I might get help.)

Of course, they're absolutely within their rights to insist on sticking to terms and conditions and the crazy restrictions on activation and use of a 2014 card into 2015 (just look on the website to see the equations), but what kind of message does failure to help a visitor with a straightforward customer service issue send? It ain't "Welcome"!

The moral of this tale is that if you want to buy a visitor pass, buy it when you arrive.

Last edited by bernardh; Nov 20, 2014 at 9:36 am
Old Nov 20, 2014, 4:11 pm
Suspended

so you buy it online?
How do you get the Ticket?
Before i fly to barcolna i got it online to. The Problem there is no way to exchance on the Airport so i payed the train twice...

Day Ticket: EUR 6,70

Berlin WelcomeCard - 48 EUR 18,50
2x Day Ticket = 13,40€

Berlin WelcomeCard - 72h EUR 25,50
3x Day Ticket = 20,10€
Old Nov 20, 2014, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

I bought the ticket through the tourist board's website and it was shipped to me.

I did NOT buy a voucher, so I have the actual ticket. There was no question of exchange being needed at the airport.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 4:21 pm
Suspended

I bought the ticket through the tourist board's website
An official Webseite?
Old Nov 20, 2014, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ToGo
An official Webseite?
Yes http://visitberlin.de/
Old Nov 20, 2014, 4:31 pm
Suspended

Do you was in one of this Stores: http://www.visitberlin.de/de/planen/...-informationen ?
Old Nov 20, 2014, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Do you was in one of this Stores: http://www.visitberlin.de/de/planen/...-informationen ?
No. I went to the website. I purchased it. I paid for it to be mailed to my home.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 4:39 pm
Suspended

so when you get the ticket per mail why you should not use that?
Old Nov 20, 2014, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

so when you get the ticket per mail why you should not use that?
Back to the beginning: because I left it at home!
Old Nov 20, 2014, 4:46 pm
Suspended

ok you left it at home and you get no new for free... i see no real problem.
Thats the same when you leave a (at Home) Cinema Ticket,...
Old Nov 20, 2014, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

ok you left it at home and you get no new for free... i see no real problem.
Thats the same when you leave a (at Home) Cinema Ticket,...
I am not asking for anything for free. I paid twice. I have a ticket with no date. (An open ticket.)

I am simply asking to be able to use it in the future. (Beyond the end of 2014.) I do not want money.

It is a simple customer service issue that most organisations - especially one which welcomes visitors - would deal with in a couple of seconds.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 4:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
File this in the no good deed goes unpunished box.

OP chose to buy in advance, the terms are clear and he chose to leave the thing back in the UK.

Not one whit of an obligation to replace the ticket, but they will if he brings it to the office when he is next in Berlin. His sole penalty will be having to eat the cost of the airport-downtown.

Can assure you that this wouldn't be handled quite so nicely for a visitor to NYC, LON or TKY.

Perhaps a change to the thread title, "I made an error an am getting what I'm not due to make me feel welcome."
Old Nov 20, 2014, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
File this in the no good deed goes unpunished box.

OP chose to buy in advance, the terms are clear and he chose to leave the thing back in the UK.

Not one whit of an obligation to replace the ticket, but they will if he brings it to the office when he is next in Berlin. His sole penalty will be having to eat the cost of the airport-downtown.

Can assure you that this wouldn't be handled quite so nicely for a visitor to NYC, LON or TKY.

Perhaps a change to the thread title, "I made an error an am getting what I'm not due to make me feel welcome."
Wow. You're certainly a charmer. Must be why you're an evangelist round here.

I didn't say anything other than I made a stupid mistake. (Oh and 'chose' is a somewhat idiotic way to characterise a mistake - but I don't expect you have ever made one.)

I have not been promised any resolution - just a maybe.

The company - or whatever it is - was quite happy to deal with me by web and mail when it was selling me the ticket in the first place.

I am asking for a simple goodwill gesture (at my cost). I can assure YOU that this would be the case in similar circumstances in London.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Have you contacted customer service for the website to see what they have to say? Also, if the ticket has no date, why does it need to be exchanged by the end of 2014?
Old Nov 20, 2014, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
My advice to anyone would be not to by the Welcome Card in the first place. Unless one plans on spending most of their 48 or 72 hours in Berlin going to museums. As the regular passes are about 1/3 less. However, if one still wants to get one, they sell them at a multiple number of vending machines at the airport and train station. Moreover, there is a manned counter for the BVG at the airport open during normal hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.