Child car seat questions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2014, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Child car seat questions

Hi,

I'm going to be in Germany & Austria with my 3 kids next month.

From my reading of the rules, car seats are required for those under 12 and under 150cms.

In Germany I can find no details as to whether the kids can sit in the front, but my understanding is that in Austria, under 12s cannot sit in the front at all.

The problem we have is that it's a hire car so I don't know if we'll get three booster seats in the back.

Can anyone confirm if...
1) In Germany an under 12 can ride in the front using a booster
2) In Austria, if we can't get 3 boosters in the back, do I put one child in the front with a booster, or have the eldest in the back without a booster (he doesn't need one in the UK - think he's about 140cms).

Thanks in advance
Old Nov 8, 2014, 1:29 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Child car seat questions

I think riding without booster in the back might be safer than booster in the front.

The reason why children should not be in the front is the airbag.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 5:55 pm

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
This is just about Germany:

In German the rule is under 12 years and under 150cm. If it is older or taller you can use the regular seatbelt.

Yes you can sit your child in a booster seat on the the front passenger seat. In case of an infant in a rear facing booster seat you have to make sure the passenger seat airbag is turned off.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
caspritz78 thanks for confirming that - you don't by any chance know what the official line is once we cross the border into Austria, do you?

edited to add, I've just found the bmvit info page in English http://www.bmvit.gv.at/en/service/pu...straintsys.pdf and they confirm that kids can sit in the front with a booster seat, or in the back if they're over 135cms without, so long as the belt sits properly.

Last edited by Swiss Tony; Nov 9, 2014 at 2:47 am
Old Nov 11, 2014, 2:35 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Yes, I seat my 7 year old in the front with the child car seat. Its allowed in Germany. The airbag remains switched on, it only needs to be switched off for rear facing child car seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.