Transport STR to north of city centre

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2014, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club, LH Miles & More, AF/KLM Flying Blue, Le Club Accorhotels, Tesco Clubcard

I am travelling to STR this Friday to partake of a weekend of beer and conviviality with friends.

Staying here - http://www.ibis.com/gb/hotel-5441-ib...rd/index.shtml

How are taxis in STR? Would this set me back quite a bit from STR? Or is the train my best bet?

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 5:41 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
The ibis is very close to tram station "Maybachstrasse". It takes 38 minutes from the airport to the tram station. Take any of the S-Bahns (S2, S3) from the airport to the main train station (Hauptbahnhof, you arrive platform 102), and then go to platform 3 at Hauptbahnhof/Arnulf Klett Platz to take U3, direction Gerlingen, to the Maybachstr. The ibis is 2 minutes on foot from there. Note that platform 3 of the Stadtbahn (=U3) is NOT platform 3 in the train station, so follow the signs to U3. The whole trip costs 3.40 EUR. see www.ssb-ag.de

If you don't have that much luggage, this is much easier than the taxi which will take similarly long or longer (traffic through downtown Stuttgart is a mess because of the rebuilding of the train station - google for "Stuttgart 21 to learn more), and will be significantly more expensive (I'd guess about 30 eur or so).
Old Sep 22, 2014, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club, LH Miles & More, AF/KLM Flying Blue, Le Club Accorhotels, Tesco Clubcard
Originally Posted by cygnus
The ibis is very close to tram station "Maybachstrasse". It takes 38 minutes from the airport to the tram station. Take any of the S-Bahns (S2, S3) from the airport to the main train station (Hauptbahnhof, you arrive platform 102), and then go to platform 3 at Hauptbahnhof/Arnulf Klett Platz to take U3, direction Gerlingen, to the Maybachstr. The ibis is 2 minutes on foot from there. Note that platform 3 of the Stadtbahn (=U3) is NOT platform 3 in the train station, so follow the signs to U3. The whole trip costs 3.40 EUR. see www.ssb-ag.de

If you don't have that much luggage, this is much easier than the taxi which will take similarly long or longer (traffic through downtown Stuttgart is a mess because of the rebuilding of the train station - google for "Stuttgart 21 to learn more), and will be significantly more expensive (I'd guess about 30 eur or so).
Many many thanks cygnus - this is why I love FT and the great people like you that are on it ^
Old Sep 23, 2014, 9:55 am

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, IHG plat, DB Comfort, SPG gold
Uhh.. U3 runs between Plieningen and Vaihingen.. not the correct choice for Maybachstrasse which is in an entirely different part of the town

Maybachstrasse is served by U6 (Gerlingen - Möhringen) and U13 (Feuerbach Pfostenwäldle - Hedelfingen), but only U6 stops at the central station (trains will leave from the middle platform on the track to your right hand side when coming in from the S bahn station). U13 would be the perfect choice if you want to visit the Beer Festival between Sep 26 and Oct 1: Take U13 from Maybachstrasse to Bad Cannstatt Wilhelmsplatz and follow the signage to the train station (through a small shopping promenade across the large junction), go through the train station and then just follow the masses.

Another hint on connecting at the central station: At the airport, board one of the front carriages (when coming down on the escalators, trains into town will depart in the direction of the escalators), and at central station stop, take the escalators or stairs at the end of the platform which are facing against your direction of travel (the ones at the very end of the platform would have taken you to the railway platforms but will be closed for the next few years, maybe even forever). When arriving in the subway above the S-Bahn station, take the middle of the three stairways to your left, and you'll automatically be on the correct platform.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 4:42 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Originally Posted by bruce80
Uhh.. U3 runs between Plieningen and Vaihingen.. not the correct choice for Maybachstrasse which is in an entirely different part of the town

Maybachstrasse is served by U6 (Gerlingen - Möhringen) and U13 (Feuerbach Pfostenwäldle - Hedelfingen), but only U6 stops at the central station (trains will leave from the middle platform on the track to your right hand side when coming in from the S bahn station). U13 would be the perfect choice if you want to visit the Beer Festival between Sep 26 and Oct 1: Take U13 from Maybachstrasse to Bad Cannstatt Wilhelmsplatz and follow the signage to the train station (through a small shopping promenade across the large junction), go through the train station and then just follow the masses.

Another hint on connecting at the central station: At the airport, board one of the front carriages (when coming down on the escalators, trains into town will depart in the direction of the escalators), and at central station stop, take the escalators or stairs at the end of the platform which are facing against your direction of travel (the ones at the very end of the platform would have taken you to the railway platforms but will be closed for the next few years, maybe even forever). When arriving in the subway above the S-Bahn station, take the middle of the three stairways to your left, and you'll automatically be on the correct platform.
sorry, yes. don't ask me why I wrote U3 instead of U6. Sorry, must have been the time when I wrote this (I MEANT U6 to Gerlingen...). Darn.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 5:04 am
Original Poster

Many thanks all - managed it well in the end.

Had a fantastic weekend last weekend at the Volksfest. Took me most of this week to recover though

Ein Prosit !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.