Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

American travelers seeking medical consult in Germany...?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2014, 11:56 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU

Got this email from my mom. My parents are in their late 70s and are on an 8 week trip exploring Germany.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Dad took a bad fall in the shower in our lodging near Goslar yesterday morning. We got him to the car
but his knees have increasingly stiffened up and I'm concerned that he may have torn something in one or
both of them. He has been in bed here in Berlin, thinking that a day or two rest would make him more
mobile but I fear that there is more damage than we thought for we have to even lift his left leg to get it
on the bed.

I'm thinking of trucking back to Frankfurt tomorrow(we were headed that way anyway) to have him
checked out to find out what the issues are rather than toughing it out and not knowing. I don't know if
the place they take soldiers is open to US civilians or not.

He is sleeping now but I have other concerns in that he can only lie on his back which could risk getting
some lung infection from nasal drip. The low beds make getting in and out of bed a challenge, even for the minimally
impaired. Fortunately my bed has the same size mattress so we will stack them tonight to hopefully make
things easier.

do you have any suggestions?
Appreciate any advice or suggestions!
Old Sep 9, 2014, 12:21 pm

I would strongly suggest going to the next general hospital and consult the doctors of the emergency room there. Usually you simply show your European health insurance card, so your parents will have to explain they're tourists. I'm sure the hospital will have English speaking personnel.
I think your father will be presented the bill afterwards and can later be reimbursed by his international health insurance. I don't think German hospitals will directly bill U.S. insurances.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 12:43 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Got this email from my mom. My parents are in their late 70s and are on an 8 week trip exploring Germany.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Appreciate any advice or suggestions!
Is he entitled to US VA medical benefits? Some such retirees used to have some medical access in Germany to facilities also used by deployed people and their dependents there, but it's been many years since I knew anyone who had to do that.

Many people just use the regular medical system in Germany, as suggested by their US insurance company if covered. Many German doctors speak English, but nurses may be more of an issue with language matters. The US consulates/embassies keep some list of doctors that may help point you in the right direction even as it's not "advice" to use those doctors.

Last edited by GUWonder; Sep 9, 2014 at 12:50 pm
Old Sep 9, 2014, 1:28 pm

I don't think heading all the way to Frankfurt is very clever... I think your parents should seek help locally. Get the hotel receptionist/concierge to call a doctor... either get a Notarzt to come to the hotel, or get an appointment at a local clinic in the morning if they think it can wait. Getting the hotel to help should be much quicker and easier than contacting the US Embassy, hotel staff know what's available locally.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Normally it shoudn`t be a Problem to go to every hospital. German health System is over all very good. I cen`t tell you if the insurance covers the coasts. But German doctors don`t have American prices
Old Sep 9, 2014, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Most US health insurance policies cover emergency medical care outside the US.

Agree that the hotel is usually a good resource for medical care in an emergency. Your father, it seems, is not in a situation where he should attempt to travel all the way to Frankfurt before seeing a doctor. Try getting in to see someone in Berlin.

You may want to check out the Charite hospital in Berlin. They deal with international patients all the time, and seem comfortable with English-speaking patients:

http://international-health-care.charite.de/en/
Old Sep 9, 2014, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for the advice. Apparently they want to be nearer to Frankfurt because their next stop is Rothenburg if the prognosis is good, and they can catch a flight home if the prognosis is bad.

Parents! Will they ever learn to listen!?
Old Sep 9, 2014, 3:01 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Hmm... they are adults and all, but why they would shun one of the best cities with excellent medical care is beyond me. The drive to FRA is pretty long, just hop over to the Charite, it doesn't get any better!!! Or maybe just go over there for a quick check?

Even the embassy in Berlin recommends the Charite (and its aptly named ben Franklin campus):http://germany.usembassy.gov/germany...in_medical.pdf

Alternatively call the VA office in the FRA consulate (069-90-555-1104) in the morning for advice.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 6:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Thank you all for the advice. Apparently they want to be nearer to Frankfurt because their next stop is Rothenburg if the prognosis is good, and they can catch a flight home if the prognosis is bad.

Parents! Will they ever learn to listen!?
At least you can talk to them.

I can't talk to mine because the paranoid governmental authorities didn't allow them to legally take my sat phones which they (and even the military) could have used after floods (in recent days) wrecked their vacation and -- more worryingly -- the lives of a million+ people at least in the past several days.

Hopefully you're not running up your parents' phone bill too much, but just enough to be a good son.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 2:45 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
As long as it's not clear what exactly the medical case is I would advise to go to any hospitals ER. They will check you up and find the right doctor. You will probably have to pay right there, not sure if they take credit cards or a foreign (non EU) health insurance card matters to them. But don't worry, the cost will be affordable compared to what seems to be going rates in the US.

If you seek help by your hotel they probably have a contact to a local general practitioner who might even visit at the hotel. But if there is a real medical background what can he do other than send you over to a hospital.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Even the embassy in Berlin recommends the Charite
The Charite is a top notch hospital but with a "simple injury" like a broken leg it`s not necessary.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 1:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by offerendum
The Charite is a top notch hospital but with a "simple injury" like a broken leg it`s not necessary.
Indeed.

That said, there is a correlation in Germany between the English-language proficiency levels of the medical service providers and the international reputation of the medical center and its doctors. Of course a large part of medical delivery of good bedside manner seems to go beyond just the physical and covers providing intelligible verbal comfort to a patient.

Language does seem to matter in medical care. I say that as someone who has ended up in hospitals where language shouldn't have been an issue but has been an issue even for relatively minor health issues. Oh and the payment issues, those are another story and then some.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 1:35 pm

Knowledge of English is definitely not a given among either nurses or doctors in Germany. There's a big difference between being able to say a few basic phrases and being able to have a diagnostic conversation. Of course, fully fluent English-speaking doctors exist but don't expect that to be the norm.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by Ber2dca
Knowledge of English is definitely not a given among either nurses or doctors in Germany. There's a big difference between being able to say a few basic phrases and being able to have a diagnostic conversation. Of course, fully fluent English-speaking doctors exist but don't expect that to be the norm.
Depends on region. Many doctors I know write articles on English for American journals. Woudn`t be so general.

Although: I guess OPs parents visited a doctor so far. Am I right?

Last edited by offerendum; Sep 12, 2014 at 1:42 am
Old Sep 12, 2014, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Well, here I had assumed my parents had taken all of this excellent advice to heart and have been waiting to hear how it went.

But then I got this email from my smartass father this morning:

Reports of my demise slightly exaggerated.

Every time I went to an orthoped after a fall-inducd sprain, the advice has always been to stay off it until pain reduced, then start PT. So this time I just skipped the orthoped. Still hurts so my sighteeing is through a car window.

I had thought of publishing an obit, eavesdropping on the funeral, and revising my will based on the eulogies. But then I rembered Jonson wrote that gig, so I decided to admit that i was alive.
Again: Parents! Will they EVER listen!?

Thanks again to all here who provided advice!!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.