Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

2 hours at Dortmund Hbf late on a Saturday evening

Old Aug 19, 2014, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I have a rather annoying 2 hour wait at Dortmund Hbf before boarding the sleeper to Warsaw. The station website is rather short on content (especially for a non-German speaker) so I wondered if there is anywhere decent for a beer either in the Hbf or very close by. Will be with luggage so not up for a long walk.

Thanks for any guidance.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 5:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Oh dear, I do feel for you. You could try Hvels Hausbrauerei. It's been a few years since I was, but if all you want is a beer this might suit. Not far to walk from the Hbf. There's a good Italian restaurant in the area but I forget the name.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 10:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You should be able to find all kinds of restaurants near the Hbf. I was in Dortmund 3 years ago and remember all kinds of places nearby. How late is late? They might close at 2am.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Oh dear, I do feel for you. You could try Hvels Hausbrauerei. It's been a few years since I was, but if all you want is a beer this might suit. Not far to walk from the Hbf.
Perfect. Open until midnight which is when the train leaves. Thanks! ^
Old Aug 19, 2014, 11:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Perfect. Open until midnight which is when the train leaves. Thanks! ^
Had you given me something more salubrious to work with (Dsseldorf, Hamburg, Munich, Berlin) I could have given you some better ideas (but then you probably wouldn't have come to FT for questions!)
Old Aug 19, 2014, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Had you given me something more salubrious to work with (Dsseldorf, Hamburg, Munich, Berlin) I could have given you some better ideas (but then you probably wouldn't have come to FT for questions!)
You did a great job with the limited material I offered. Having vague memories of the station being quite grim escaping for a decent beer will improve the journey significantly. ^
Old Aug 19, 2014, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
You did a great job with the limited material I offered. Having vague memories of the station being quite grim escaping for a decent beer will improve the journey significantly. ^
In Dortmund you need a lot of beer......
Old Aug 19, 2014, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by offerendum
In Dortmund you need a lot of beer......
+1

While there are certainly more depressing cities in Germany, IMO 2h in Dortmund are 2h too many.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
+1

While there are certainly more depressing cities in Germany
No objection! To be fair, Dortmund has a few nice parts and city is not too bad for shopping. But only if you are "used" to this region
Old Aug 20, 2014, 8:54 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
If the show times fit into your schedule, there is a big Cinestar cinema near the Hauptbahnhof. They probably show one or two films in english.

Also there is a nh Hotel right next to the station and their hotel bar could offer you something different from just a beer, if you don't fancy a local beer hall.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 1:28 pm

That 2h stay wouldn't be so awful if it was between 2 pm and 4 pm or something but after 10 pm all the shops would be closed and there'd be precious little to do.

As someone who spent his teen years in suburbia and thus spent many a late evening/night on lonely rail platforms spending 20-30 mins waiting for trains (time that felt more like hours), I always found something quite unnerving about the whole atmosphere of rail stations at that time. There's mostly silence but the occasional noise tends to be a tin kicked down a tunnel, a shouting match somewhere in the vicinity, dogs barking.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 2:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ralfkrippner
Also there is a nh Hotel right next to the station and their hotel bar could offer you something different from just a beer, if you don't fancy a local beer hall.
If Swanhunter is looking for hookers, maybe!

Last edited by LondonElite; Aug 20, 2014 at 4:35 pm
Old Aug 20, 2014, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
If Swanhunter is looking for hookers, maybe!
Of all the people hanging around the train station past midnight, the hookers probably are among the more pleasant people. You should have no problem finding drug dealers, drug addicts, pimps and gang members near train stations at night if you want to.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 4:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Of all the people hanging around the train station past midnight, the hookers probably are among the more pleasant people. You should have no problem finding drug dealers, drug addicts, pimps and gang members near train stations at night if you want to.
I understand there are some friendly Nigerian chaps who might sell you a Rolex for a good price there.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 11:05 pm
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
come on guys, this is Germany... No gangs, but lots of police and security. Also Dortmund Hauptbahnhof between 22:00 and 0:00 hours will be everything but quiet...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.