Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Paying a speeding fine

Paying a speeding fine

Old Sep 30, 2014, 8:35 am

Well I too have become a defendant in the German court system. I received my notification from the rental car company yesterday. I was so good following the traffic regulations through out my whole trip logging over 750 kms in 5 days driving around Germany and to/from Belgium. However, on my last afternoon, while returning the car to the rental return at Frankfurt airport, I was nabbed by a speed camera on the airport spur road at 124 in a 100km. 24km over. I have already paid the rental car fee of 25 euros.

Any opinions on how much the fine will be?
Old Sep 30, 2014, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
70 Euro + fees (about 30 Euro)
Old Sep 30, 2014, 1:00 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by coplatsat
Well I too have become a defendant in the German court system. I received my notification from the rental car company yesterday. I was so good following the traffic regulations through out my whole trip logging over 750 kms in 5 days driving around Germany and to/from Belgium. However, on my last afternoon, while returning the car to the rental return at Frankfurt airport, I was nabbed by a speed camera on the airport spur road at 124 in a 100km. 24km over. I have already paid the rental car fee of 25 euros.

Any opinions on how much the fine will be?
http://www.howtogermany.com/pages/tr...iolations.html

Probably 70/80 EUR.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 1:37 pm

Thank you all for the replies at the web site link.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 1:50 pm

Programs: BA, Best Western, Miles & More
we're in a similar situation to the OP, again with Stuttgart city authorities regarding payment of a speeding fine. We have taken the advice of other posts on this thread & went to try & pay via our local Halifax branch, When the teller tried to process the transaction Stuttgart City had failed to provide any bank details except the IBAN number and so were unable to pay the fine. Halifax are going to charge us Ł19.50 for doing this at the local branch!
I have sent 2 emails to Stuttgart council in both English with a German translation underneath and am currently waiting to see if they will accept a credit card payment via email.
In addition, from what I could translate, they want payment within a week of the date of the letter, yet it wasn't posted until 4 days after the letter was dated!
Any suggestions?
Old Oct 19, 2014, 3:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Tanya934
Stuttgart City had failed to provide any bank details except the IBAN number and so were unable to pay the fine.
That is enough to wire the money.

Any suggestions?
Ignore it and move on.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 9:05 am

I have sent 2 emails to Stuttgart council in both English with a German translation underneath and am currently waiting to see if they will accept a credit card payment via email.
They wouldn't be allowed to, even if they are set up to accept credit cards. Email is not secure, and card details may not be transmitted by, or accepted from, insecure means.

(Would you write your credit card details on the back of a postcard? Unencrypted emails are about as safe as postcards... )
Old Oct 19, 2014, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite

Ignore it and move on.
Not the best idea as we plan on renting another car in Germany next year and are concerned we might get collared at the airport.

From what you have just said, it sound like Halifax don't know what they are doing when trying to process an International money transfer. Hopefully i might have more luck with Natwest. Can you do it via a bank that you don't have an account with?
Old Oct 19, 2014, 8:09 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Not the best idea as we plan on renting another car in Germany next year and are concerned we might get collared at the airport.
Collared by who?

Car rental company doesn't care. Their responsibility ended when what provided renter details to authorities.

How much is the fine? Border police is not going find anything in SIS II unless it is a serious crime and you have an outstanding arrest warrant.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Not for a normal speeding fine.....
Old Oct 20, 2014, 2:46 am
Suspended

That won't happen for several reasons, chief of which are (i) the computer that deals with speeding/parking fines is a 'municipal' one that does not talk to the 'federal' computer at the passport desk, and (ii) it's too small for anyone to care. Not to sound like a complete tool, but I have dozens of speeding and parking violations in Germany and I'm in and out of the country several times a week (a pattern of about 15 years).

From what you have just said, it sound like Halifax don't know what they are doing when trying to process an International money transfer. Hopefully i might have more luck with Natwest. Can you do it via a bank that you don't have an account with?
Halifax sounds a bit think. You can do it via a different bank, but I'm sure they'll charge you an admin and various FX fees.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 3:16 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Officially they also need a BIC besides the IBAN.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Officially they also need a BIC besides the IBAN.
We've got the BIC so hopefully Natwest will be able to sort it out. Stuttgart have, so far failed to respond to my emails I sent in English with a German translation attached to it
Thanks for the advice, i know it's only a small sum but when we used another rental agencies in Germany and incurred a speeding fine they took it from our credit card together with an admin fee which was a lot easier all round.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 4:30 pm

I am still waiting for the ticket to come from Germany. Any idea on how long?

To pay it I was going to pay pal the money to a friend in Germany to pay it in person for me. Wiring 70-80 euros would cost me another $35 USD.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 11:51 pm
Suspended

Unless you have a huge moral hangup about this, I would just forget about it and move on. No 'federal agency' is going to come after you, and no one is going to bother chasing a fine all the way to TX.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.