Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help with SIM card at FRA for iPhone5

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2013, 9:39 am

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by Analise
Update: The 02 store only sells micro SIM cards. So this didn't work as I need a regular SIM. FYI: the largest data plan they offered was 4GB. I went to the other electronics store in the arrivals hall of terminal A which was nearby. They too only sell micro SIMs with 4GBs. The guy there however told me about a free 30 minutes of data on tmobil. That was helpful as it allowed me to email my husband. I am now using the free wifi at the DB lounge. The gentleman there recommended I find a Blaupunkt store in Berlin as they sell regular-sized SIMs with 5GB data plan. I'll let you know.
Sorry to hear that, know that you were looking for the convenience of getting it at FRA. A little bizarre that they only have micro SIMs, but I guess most phones must have them now.

(Selfishly, though, I'm glad this is the case, as I recently got a new phone and was worried about finding a micro SIM for my upcoming trip).

Edit: If there are no electronics stores nearby, consider getting a Fonic SIM. They're o2's discount brand, so identical service, but are much more widely available at places like dm and Müller drugstores. There are very detailed instructions on where to find them and how to activate them on this page.

Last edited by linglingfool; Aug 21, 2013 at 9:45 am
Old Aug 22, 2013, 2:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I went to a Saturn near my hotel. For 24.95 euros (I cannot find the euro kez on this keyboard), I got a SIM card, 1GB, and 10 euros for calls. This was the best offer they had. The other was for 7.5GB which is too much. So that is what I got. I won't skype too much. Saturn only had regular SIM cards, no micro.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 5:39 pm

I went to a Saturn near my hotel. For 24.95 euros (I cannot find the euro kez on this keyboard), I got a SIM card, 1GB, and 10 euros for calls. This was the best offer they had. The other was for 7.5GB which is too much. So that is what I got. I won't skype too much. Saturn only had regular SIM cards, no micro.
Interesting. Was this o2 service?
Old Aug 28, 2013, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by linglingfool
Interesting. Was this o2 service?
Yes, it was. I am back in New York now.

The Saturn salesman programmed my phone incorrectly, however, as my coverage in Frankfurt was sporadic at best. I went to an O2 store and the guy there told me about the carelessness of that Saturn salesman and fixed it.

I asked him if he would show me how I can see how much data I've used to monitor my usage and he said this was impossible to do. When the 1GB is done, it will cut off.

His 02 store has a 3GB plan and a 5GB plan from which to choose but I'd have to purchase a SIM card for €50 first.

The SIM card is a royal pain for travellers from North America to Europe. If I want to travel to Canada from New York, my SIM card works perfectly in Canada. Traveling within Europe, however, is not as business friendly. The German SIM cards seem only to work in Germany. If I need to be in Switzerland and France too (that's a trip for next Spring), I'll have to buy multiple SIM cards.

Even buying the German SIM card was too time consuming. FRA only has 2 electronic stores? In those two stores, one cannot buy a SIM card that isn't a micro card? If Frankfurt is supposed to be central to European business, why not start with having stores in the airport that accommodate travelers and their needs to have smartphone coverage.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 1:51 pm

Welcome home.

It's unfortunate they programmed your phone incorrectly at the Saturn store, can definitely make life difficult. It should be possible, per this page, to check your data balance by using the *100# USSD menu. (You can try it in the US.)

Also, your SIM will work in those other countries, but roaming rates apply, as your data usage abroad will not come out of your prepaid pack, so it can get expensive quickly. I suspect this is how you're billed when traveling to Canada on your plan at home.

For your upcoming trip, keep an eye on toggle mobile. They already have affordable continent-wide voice rates, and are supposedly going to be debuting data packs that can be used across all of their covered countries in the near future (UK-only data right now).
Old Aug 29, 2013, 6:27 am

Welcome home.
Thank you! I really appreciate your assistance too.

It's unfortunate they programmed your phone incorrectly at the Saturn store, can definitely make life difficult. It should be possible, per this page, to check your data balance by using the *100# USSD menu. (You can try it in the US.)
Thanks.

Also, your SIM will work in those other countries, but roaming rates apply, as your data usage abroad will not come out of your prepaid pack, so it can get expensive quickly. I suspect this is how you're billed when traveling to Canada on your plan at home.
According to salesmen at 02, E-Plus, Vodaphone, and Saturn (sells 02 SIM cards), there is no SIM card for data plans for travel in Europe both in Germany and other European countries. I inquired about that because I am traveling to France, Germany & Switzerland in several months and wanted just one SIM card for data. Yes, for voice, a SIM card can work in other countries and I will be charged a higher rate for those calls. When I travel to Canada, my SIM card works and I have full data coverage. There is no need whatsoever to buy a separate SIM card for Canada. Why isn't that the case with Europe regarding SIM cards for data?

For your upcoming trip, keep an eye on toggle mobile. They already have affordable continent-wide voice rates, and are supposedly going to be debuting data packs that can be used across all of their covered countries in the near future (UK-only data right now).
Excellent. I will, thanks.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 8:16 am

When I travel to Canada, my SIM card works and I have full data coverage. There is no need whatsoever to buy a separate SIM card for Canada.
How are you billed for usage in Canada?

According to salesmen at 02, E-Plus, Vodaphone, and Saturn (sells 02 SIM cards), there is no SIM card for data plans for travel in Europe both in Germany and other European countries.
The salesmen are incorrect; the card will not only work, but there is an option available on o2 called "Internet Pack EU-Ausland" that allows you to prepay €1.99/day for 25MB of usage. Details are in section 2.4 of their tariff list (in German, but you get the gist). It's not a ton of data, and doesn't really allow enough data to Skype, but it would allow you to check email, get directions, and do some light browsing.

Alternatively, Vodafone offers options under their CallYa "ReisePakete" that you can see under the "Länder and Preise" tab on this page. You can pick one of the three size options (50/350/700) for each of the three usage types (minutes/SMS/data). For example, you could get 50 minutes, 50 SMS, and 700MB of data that are good for 14 days in all in the countries listed on that page (which, strangely, doesn't include Switzerland) for 3+3+25 = €31.

Last edited by linglingfool; Aug 29, 2013 at 8:30 am Reason: Added Vodafone link
Old Aug 29, 2013, 8:00 pm

The salesmen are incorrect; the card will not only work, but there is an option available on o2 called "Internet Pack EU-Ausland" that allows you to prepay €1.99/day for 25MB of usage.
MB? 25 MB is nothing. What about GB? I went to an O2 both in Berlin and Frankfurt and nothing was offered particularly in a prepaid card with a data package in pound sterling currency. It wasn't offered at Vodaphone, DT, E-Plus, etc.

Is the link you provided which is all in German about prepaid SIM cards or is about SIM card plans with monthly contracts?

I can't open the Vodaphone link you provided. If they have a package for 700 MB, would they have one for 3-5 GBs? Vodaphone reps in both Berlin and Frankfurt said they had no prepaid data SIM cards to sell for use in any other country except Germany.

Unfortunately, I spent way too much time on this for such a short trip.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 9:32 pm

Yes, he meant 25mb. Most prepaid roaming data options are along the lines of 25-50 MB.. Yes, I know that is next to nothing, but still cheaper than you'd pay just loading up with credit and burning it off.

So, yet, the data will work in other countries, it just won't be cheap. The people in the O2 shops, etc. are generally much more knowledgeable about contract plans, as that is where they make their money.

As for the Vodaone CallYa, it's 25Eur for 700mb within 2 weeks, but usage in Switzerland is not included. Nothing larger is offered.

Why would they be offering a data plan in Germany price in GBP?
Old Sep 1, 2013, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
There are several plans for roaming all over the place not only by the four network providers but by several resellers too. Most of these are post paid. A salesperson at a Saturn shop is certainly not the right person to discuss mobile phone plans (most likely in a foreign language).
Old Sep 1, 2013, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
A salesperson at a Saturn shop is certainly not the right person to discuss mobile phone plans (most likely in a foreign language).
Oddly enough, it was only at Saturn where I got a SIM card for €9.95 and a 1GB prepaid data plan. No other direct provider (02, Vodaphone, DT, E-Plus, etc) offered me anything but a high-priced SIM card (€25 − €50) and 25-100 MB of data.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Oddly enough, it was only at Saturn where I got a SIM card for €9.95 and a 1GB prepaid data plan. No other direct provider (02, Vodaphone, DT, E-Plus, etc) offered me anything but a high-priced SIM card (€25 − €50) and 25-100 MB of data.
That does not mean that they know what the are doing. Walmart sells SIM cards, but I would not expect any advice. When I travel to a foreign country, I do a nit of research before leaving on the Internet. It safes an aweful lot of time
Old Sep 4, 2013, 10:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by WaxComb
There is an Ortel Mobile vending machine in FRA in the shopping mall after the check-in counters. I've used them for voice but not for data for my dumb AT&T phone.
I will be transiting through FRA tomorrow and this would be very useful; does the vending machine not need to establish your identity before spitting out a SIM card? Do the cards come with activation information and is such activation instantaneous or is there a multi-hour lag?

Someone also mentioned cheaper cards being sold in dm or other convenience stores; isn't there one in FRA at the basement level, near the supermarket?

Any ideas where I can get a Tschibo or ALDI sim at FRA?

I found those SIMS to be useful for roaming in Europe, when I was there last year
Old Sep 5, 2013, 10:37 am

As far as I know, there is no way to get an Aldi or a Tchibo SIM at FRA. I believe Fotec sells blau SIMs, which along with Ortel use the somewhat inferior (for data) E-Plus network. However, if your primary goal is for voice or roaming, that shouldn't really matter.

Per this page, you shouldn't need to do anything to activate an Ortel SIM from the machine before using it.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
That does not mean that they know what the are doing. Walmart sells SIM cards, but I would not expect any advice. When I travel to a foreign country, I do a nit of research before leaving on the Internet. It safes an aweful lot of time
Saturn knew exactly what it was doing. The salesman sold me the SIM card with more than 100MB — it was a 1GB. I chose that over the higher GB SIM cards. Nobody else had SIM cards for sale with choices of data starting at 1GB. So the retail salespeople of 02, DT, E-Plus, Vodaphone, etc in multiple locations in Berlin and Frankfurt didn't know what they were doing?

The research I did online (especially here) did not match the retail experience I endured once I arrived in Germany. That's why I reported back here; I wanted others to be aware of this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.