Reload this Page >

Discussion about closing of TXL and opening of new airport BER

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 12, 2017, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji

The Brandenburg Willy Brandt Airport was originally set to open in 2011; the opening has been postponed to October 2020.
https://simpleflying.com/berlin-bran...rport-opening/

It is being constructed adjacent to Schönefeld Airport, which it will replace.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2013, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

Hello. I have an AA award ticket on hold for a May, 2014 trip to Paris. The routing is MDT (Harrisburg, PA) to ORD to TXL and then over-nighting there (and on to CDG the next morning). I hear that another airport is being built in Berlin; will TXL close down? Where (how close to TXL) is the new airport if TXL is indeed closing?

My award ticket is only 20,000 miles, and I actually like the idea of over-nighting in Berlin and arriving the next morning into Paris fresh and well rested, rather than at 8:30 p.m. Paris time after a very long routing. I am just a bit concerned about booking if TXL will close, but I assume Air Berlin will just take us to the new airport .....?

Thank you in advance for any help.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 10:44 pm

It will not be by October, but who knows for sure, it was supposed to change over years ago.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/todayi...rmans/2062533/
Old Jul 2, 2013, 12:06 am

The problem with the new airport is that it is unclear when the fire protection systems can be certified. Apparently, quite a bit of rework is required. Air Berlin had hoped to use BER as a hub, but now they have to cram everything into TXL. The new airport should make connecting only easier. TXL will close when BER opens. I just would book a hotel with a cancelable rate so that you have the flexiblity to get something close to to BER in case it already is open by then.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 7:05 am

Programs: AA PLT
There have been so many delays opening the airport that they've given up on trying to project a new date.

AB was selling flights to BER in anticipation of the new airport opening until they announced the day. All of those flights were simply rescheduled in/out of TXL; no flights were cancelled. It's possible that when the new airport opens there will a transition period where they operate flights out of both airports, but if you're overnighting anyway it doesn't matter.

See the below transit map for connections to BER when it opens. The TXL bus takes 20 minutes to get to the Hbf and 40 min to Alexanderplatz if BER isn't open yet, while the RE7 can get to you Alexanderplatz in 20 minutes and the Hbf in 30 if it is. Both areas offer plenty of hotels to choose from.

Old Jul 2, 2013, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for your comments & help.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by nittfan
Hello. I have an AA award ticket on hold for a May, 2014 trip to Paris. The routing is MDT (Harrisburg, PA) to ORD to TXL and then over-nighting there (and on to CDG the next morning). I hear that another airport is being built in Berlin; will TXL close down? Where (how close to TXL) is the new airport if TXL is indeed closing?

My award ticket is only 20,000 miles, and I actually like the idea of over-nighting in Berlin and arriving the next morning into Paris fresh and well rested, rather than at 8:30 p.m. Paris time after a very long routing. I am just a bit concerned about booking if TXL will close, but I assume Air Berlin will just take us to the new airport .....?

Thank you in advance for any help.
The only way you'll get inconvenienced is if your dates of travel are on the exact opening day of BER. TXL will completely cease commercial operations the night before BER commences their commercial operations. They will not have simultaneous flight operations. As for that exact date? Who knows!
Old Jul 3, 2013, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Thanks ..... !
Old Jul 4, 2013, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Yeah, the germans are rather up in arms about the incompetence in building the new airport. Apparently, significant additional time is going to be required. I wouldn't worry about anything.

TXL has the convenience of a small airport; however, the insane over-subscription of its intended capacity can be a bit trying.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 7:04 am

Programs: AA PLT
http://www.ausbt.com.au/berlin-s-new...rch-april-2014

Bets on whether or not this actually takes place?
Old Aug 22, 2013, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by linglingfool
http://www.ausbt.com.au/berlin-s-new...rch-april-2014

Bets on whether or not this actually takes place?
The article that provides the real source is from DW. They state that Condor and Air Germania will be the first airlines to operate at BER with a grand total of ten (10) flights per day and about 1500 passengers per day to start. So, will it open in March or April, 2014? Perhaps. But most passengers in and out of Berlin will still nt be flying through there for some time.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
The article that provides the real source is from DW. They state that Condor and Air Germania will be the first airlines to operate at BER with a grand total of ten (10) flights per day and about 1500 passengers per day to start. So, will it open in March or April, 2014? Perhaps. But most passengers in and out of Berlin will still nt be flying through there for some time.
okay... 10 flights a day...

had BER been built in 1940, would such delays been tolerated?
Old Aug 25, 2013, 4:58 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
TXL will close I when hell freezes over.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by caspritz78
TXL will close I when hell freezes over.
I agree...

because the fire suppression system at BER was designed/installed by the same people
who installed the fire suppression system in hell and it couldn't cope with the fire in hell...
so freezing over may be really difficult.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 9:06 am

Programs: BahnCard Comfort, Bahn Bonus, Enrich Blue
The Maya calendar makes some predictions about the opening of BER but scientists are not exactly sure if they have interpreted the dates right...

In other words, wait and see, and contact your airline for details when your travel dates draw nearer.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Kathrin
The Maya calendar makes some predictions about the opening of BER but scientists are not exactly sure if they have interpreted the dates right...

In other words, wait and see, and contact your airline for details when your travel dates draw nearer.
May 2014 is riskless in my eyes. If BER is working even with 10 flights per day in May I´m more than impressed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.