Reload this Page >

Buying a prepaid sim-card in Germany

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buying a prepaid sim-card in Germany

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2012, 4:54 am

Programs: DL PM UA PSilver Marriott Lifetime Plat, AMEX Platinum, Avis PC, UA MPPPlus
You can go to a Vodafone.de store with your passport and get a SIM in about 15 minutes.

I got a pre-paid SIM on the CallYa Smartfone Fun tariff for 9.95 Euro and added a 15 Euro top up. You can activate a data tariff on top of that. There's a 300 MB of data at fast speeds then the remainder over a month at slower speeds for 5.95 Euro or a week of unlimited fast data for 14.95 Euro Calls will charge per minute against your balance.

The SIM I got was regular sized but pre scored so you could pop out the smaller part needed for some phones.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 5:08 am
Suspended

Do you mean the "Webession"?
http://www.vodafone.de/privat/mobile...bsessions.html

You can go to a Vodafone.de store with your passport and get a SIM in about 15 minutes.
But you are register and if some think happen the Police get you. This i a bad idea...
Old Dec 18, 2012, 8:41 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

First, we have a master thread about data roaming with prepaid cards over at the travel technology forum:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ed-thread.html

One word from us moderators:

I do not want to read about give fake names or suggesting lying to authorities orsomething similar in this forum. I will delete all thread suggesting this without furhter notice. And I do not see a problem if one has to show an identity.

It is not really a problem to get a prepaid SIM Card without German adress if you show your ID at a mobile phone store. And as far as I know, some shops like Aldi or Lidl are not asking for an ID all the time (ymmv).

FLYGVA
co-moderator Germany Forum
Old Dec 19, 2012, 1:03 pm

Programs: all
Get a Lycamobile SIM card. No ID required. Its an MVNO with the cheapest rates both for minutes and data. lots of phone/tobacco shops carry it
Old Dec 19, 2012, 1:11 pm
Suspended

omg...
Internet 19cts/MB
= 1GB -> 190€
+15cts/ Call

And to Austria Cellphone -> 29cts
Roaming whit my own Simcard:
Outgoing: 34Cent
Incomming: 9,6Cent
Old Dec 19, 2012, 8:19 pm

The Lidl Mobile SIM card is also one of the "dual-purpose" sims that is full-size with a pre-perforated MicroSim that you can punch out from the normal SIM.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 8:15 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
I have a Vodafone SIM and use the Websessions feature frequently. It is (IIRC) €12.95 for a week of data with a max of 1 GB. There are also, daily and monthly options (and a 15 minute one, I think). I use it mostly in a "Surf Stick" (USB 3G modem) and my laptop but I have used it in my Galaxy Note. You can pay with a credit card, which means when you go back to Germany you don't have to find a top up first.

Recenty, I've been using Fonic -- which is a discount brand of O2. You can get data for €2.50/day with it maxing out at 10 days (i.e. after 10 days no more charges that month). Voice rates are decent at 9cents to US/Canada, any German number and any EU landline.
You can by it at lots of department and electronic stores.

The drawback is they want a German address at activate, to which they mail a letter. If the letter is returned, the SIM is suspended (but you can call when you are back in Germany and get it re-instated). I used a friend's address but many have used their hotel address -- just let the hotel know. SIM is has perfs for MicroSiM as well.

I've found this site to be helpful about European data options.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 1:09 am
Suspended

websession: http://www.vodafone.de/privat/mobile...bsessions.html
Old Dec 25, 2012, 11:20 pm

Programs: LH Senator, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
We arrive in Frankfurt airport mid morning, and will be leaving from Dusseldorf airport late evening the next day. In total, just two days in Germany, is there any place we can get a prepaid sim within the Airport?

I read something about Tmobile.de's web'n'walk plan. €9.95 starter kit, includes €10 credit, and they charge €4.95 per day for 1GB of data. And that's all we need, no voice/sms. Just data.

I hope to get that from FRA and be on our way.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 2:01 am
Suspended

There is a O2 Store in FRA: http://www.frankfurt-airport.com/con...s/o2-shop.html

http://www.o2online.de/tarife/o2-go-prepaid/
Old Dec 26, 2012, 2:56 am

Good to know! Thanks
Old Dec 26, 2012, 9:33 am

Programs: UA Gold / Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by flyhen
We arrive in Frankfurt airport mid morning, and will be leaving from Dusseldorf airport late evening the next day.
I was just in FRA and DUS. There is so much free WIFI around, that I did not even activate my prepaid BILD (Vodafone) Data SIM in my notebook.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by STEPHANKOENIG
I was just in FRA and DUS. There is so much free WIFI around, that I did not even activate my prepaid BILD (Vodafone) Data SIM in my notebook.
The problem is, I will be driving a lot! Kinda hard to lock in on a free wifi signal when you are going at 95mph. Especially if we need to use GPS.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 9:47 am

Programs: UA Gold / Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by flyhen
...when you are going at 95mph.
Oh, I did not expect you to go so slow that you could listen to a GPS. ;-)

Anyway, got it. To get from FRA to DUS by car you will not need GPS. But I understand it about phone calls.

Last edited by STEPHANKOENIG; Dec 26, 2012 at 10:20 am
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by STEPHANKOENIG
Oh, I did not expect you to go so slow that you could list to a GPS. Anyway, got it. To get from FRA to DUS by car you will not need GPS. But I understand it about phone calls.
To be exact, we are going from FRA-Wurzburg-Rothenburg-Koln-Dusseldorf. Being a first time driver in Germany, I think I will need GPS just to be safe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.