Wiki Posts
Search

Summer hat for cities

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2012, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Summer hat for cities

I need to cover the top of my head on sunny days to prevent sunburn, and I'm wondering what kind of hat is appropriate to wear in cities in Germany. (I will also be in Austria and Switzerland, but we'll ignore those countries so that this can stay in the Germany forum.)

I'm a middle-aged man who dresses conservatively but casually, so figure that if the day is warm, I'll be wearing a sport shirt, dark trousers, and black shoes with rubber soles. If it's chilly I might also wear a sport jacket or sweater, or a rain jacket if it's rainy.

Any hat needs to be readily packable - I plan to travel with only one bag - and not overly warm.

I don't want to look like I'm dressed for hiking, fishing, hunting, the outback, or a safari, which eliminates many, perhaps most, travel hats. At home I'd probably wear a baseball cap, but that feels all wrong for a German city.

I'm not trying to pass as German, although I speak moderately good German (with an American accent). I just don't want to stand out or look like I don't know where I am.

So the first question is: what kind of hat would a German man of my age, dressed in similar clothes, wear in the daytime? The second is: is there a packable version of such a hat?

I'm not averse to buying a hat in Germany if the recommendation is something more available there than in the U.S.

[Clarification: I'm posting this in the Germany forum because I want information specific to Germany. This is not a general question about travel hats.]
Old Jun 26, 2012, 2:21 pm

Here's a list of Men's Hats for Spring/Summer 2012 on Amazon (though it seems a few women's hats snuck in).

Perhaps you could get away with a Newsboy-style cap? I know I've seen people wearing them, as well as hats similar to the ones in the link, but I'd have to say from memory most of them were younger "hipster types."

Baseball caps are definitely not as common as here, but you could perhaps get away with it if you purchased one with a German football team's logo on it.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bigzamboni
Here's a list of Men's Hats for Spring/Summer 2012 on Amazon (though it seems a few women's hats snuck in).

Perhaps you could get away with a Newsboy-style cap? I know I've seen people wearing them, as well as hats similar to the ones in the link, but I'd have to say from memory most of them were younger "hipster types."

Baseball caps are definitely not as common as here, but you could perhaps get away with it if you purchased one with a German football team's logo on it.
i think any like the 4 in the top row would be fine. you will probably have to buy locally to confirm crushability.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 12:27 am

I don't know where in Germany you will be but I don't see many men wearing hats, so whatever you pick will probably end up making you stand out.

Edit: I do see older men walking around with fedoras and alpine hats, but I live in Bayern and I wouldn't expect to see those elsewhere; however, since you will also be in Austria and Switzerland, an Alpine hat would be totally appropriate. Plus be a great souvenir.

Last edited by sparkchaser; Jun 27, 2012 at 2:02 am
Old Jun 27, 2012, 6:46 am

Out of the Amazon options I like this one:

http://www.amazon.de/MLO-Klassischer...801138&sr=1-38
Old Jun 27, 2012, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Helsinki Flyer
Out of the Amazon options I like this one:

http://www.amazon.de/MLO-Klassischer...801138&sr=1-38
So did I, but I'll refrain from ordering it - so that you can buy it for yourself.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 10:25 am

Come to think of it, though I could be wrong, but the incidence of sunburn could be lower than what you are used to, considering the more northerly latitude. At least, once you get to Scandinavia you really have to try if you want it. So a little sunscreen might be all you need.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 6:24 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Just wear a baseball cap... you will not stick out at all. My (german) colleagues who are rather lacking 'coverage' on the scalp all wear variation of baseball caps.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Vielen Dank

A friend who's a theater costumer makes a distinction between "newsboy caps," which have a somewhat puffy crown, and "cabbie caps," which have a flat crown - or as flat as the shape of one's head will allow.

Around here, cabbie caps are worn mostly by older, "geezer" types, not young hipsters. I have one myself, a Kangol 504 in wool herringbone. But this is a backwater.

Kangol makes the same hat in a light, summer style and that may be the best choice since it would be eminently packable.

Originally Posted by sparkchaser
I don't know where in Germany you will be but I don't see many men wearing hats, so whatever you pick will probably end up making you stand out.

Edit: I do see older men walking around with fedoras and alpine hats, but I live in Bayern and I wouldn't expect to see those elsewhere; however, since you will also be in Austria and Switzerland, an Alpine hat would be totally appropriate. Plus be a great souvenir.
The truth is that I look ridiculous in any kind of hat whatsoever, but that is not the fault of the hat.

In Germany, I'll be only in Bayern -- I'll fly to MUC if at all possible.

Come to think of it, though I could be wrong, but the incidence of sunburn could be lower than what you are used to, considering the more northerly latitude. At least, once you get to Scandinavia you really have to try if you want it. So a little sunscreen might be all you need.
It's difficult to tell. The southernmost places I might visit are at least 5 degrees farther north than my home.

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Just wear a baseball cap... you will not stick out at all. My (german) colleagues who are rather lacking 'coverage' on the scalp all wear variation of baseball caps.
Will a Red Sox cap make me conspicuous? It attracts a lot of (unfavorable) attention here in New York State.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I think you need an Urban Smbrero

Old Jul 25, 2012, 4:53 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Originally Posted by kochleffel
Will a Red Sox cap make me conspicuous? It attracts a lot of (unfavorable) attention here in New York State.
I think in Munich we will just think 'another American' and then move on with their thoughts.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 1:32 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

You might have a look at this online shop:

http://www.herrenausstatter.de/0601_...=Markenauswahl

The selection under "Filz & Strohüte" -> "Stroh und Papierhüte" is appropriate for (big) cities like Düsseldorf, Hamburg, Frankfurt and even Munich () and in Austria and Switzerland.

Regaring how to dress:
If you wear a hat like mentioned in the shop above, it should be fit to the rest of your wardrobe, i.e. not shorts, white socks, shirt and a hat. Depending on the style it should at least be chino, shirts and appropriate shoes (not running shoes and no sandals).

If you wear a hat as a German, you are somehow sophisticated, a little bit upscale and care for your wardrobe. Think about the clothing for a casual friday in an office. There is no need for long blazer, sleeves (unless you wear a tie) and even a polo shirt (without big oversized logo of someone playing polo on a horse covering the whole front of the shirt of course) would be okay.

Your wardrobe could be more stylish, if you use the hat as a fashion statement. But then you should be the person able to wear this kind of clothes.

Personally, I think a baseball cap is not a appropriate type to cover your head, if you are an educated German and older as 18 - but that might be just my own point of view.

Here are a few examples of (more stylish) outfits where I think a hat would be possible to add:

Last edited by FLYGVA; Jul 26, 2012 at 1:48 am
Old Jul 26, 2012, 6:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FLYGVA
You might have a look at this online shop:

http://www.herrenausstatter.de/0601_...=Markenauswahl

The selection under "Filz & Strohüte" -> "Stroh und Papierhüte" is appropriate for (big) cities like Düsseldorf, Hamburg, Frankfurt and even Munich () and in Austria and Switzerland.
I have a hat that is rather like this one, without the fancy label

but it's not very packable.

Regaring how to dress:
If you wear a hat like mentioned in the shop above, it should be fit to the rest of your wardrobe, i.e. not shorts, white socks, shirt and a hat. Depending on the style it should at least be chino, shirts and appropriate shoes (not running shoes and no sandals).
I'm OK on most of those. Re: shoes, I have in mind to wear what is really an athletic shoe but with a solid black, leather upper: http://www.onlineshoes.com/mens-new-...ack-p_id212716.

Your wardrobe could be more stylish, if you use the hat as a fashion statement. But then you should be the person able to wear this kind of clothes.
Well, I'm 60 and not in the least way stylish, so a fashion statement is probably not in the offing.

Thanks for the help.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 7:23 am

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Just bring the baseball cap and be done with it. So they think you are American? Who cares? As soon as they hear you speak German, especially with a cute American accent, they will love you.

Your behavior is way more important then the way you dress unless you go to an event where the dress matters but as a tourist? (of course in churches, etc. certain rules apply)
Old Jul 31, 2012, 2:56 am

Originally Posted by supermasterphil
Just bring the baseball cap and be done with it. So they think you are American? Who cares? As soon as they hear you speak German, especially with a cute American accent, they will love you.
+1 Don't even try to fit in with Munich, guests and tourists are welcome here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.