Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Possibly stupid question about transiting in FRA

Old May 24, 2012, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

I tried the search function and found many answers, though I'm at a loss as to which exactly would apply to me. Those who have been reading my trip report know that much of international travel is new to me, so any help here would be appreciated.

Early next week I'm flying OZ F from ICN to FRA. This is part of an Aeroplan award redemption. I get into FRA at 17:00. At 20:35 I am scheduled to fly FRA to CDG on LH in coach but it is a separate paid ticket that is not part of the Aeroplan award. After landing at CDG at 21:35 I'm spending the night at an airport hotel. My priorities for the stop-over, in order, are:

1) Don't miss the FRA-CDG flight
2) Do anything I can to minimize the time it takes to get from landing in CDG to the airport hotel, as I'll not have slept in about 24 hours.
3) Find a lounge with free wifi

Questions:

1) Is there any chance I'll be able to check my luggage in at ICN straight through to CDG, given that the OZ flight and the LH flight are on two separate tickets?
2) Assuming I can't, will I have to exit customs and border control in FRA and then recheck the bag to CDG?
3) Would I have access to any lounges in FRA as an arriving F passenger on OZ transiting to a different ticket on LH in coach?
4) Any other tips given the above?

Sorry for the long message and I am in everyone's debt at FT for making this trip go much smoother than it would have otherwise.
Old May 25, 2012, 12:42 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rincewind44
I tried the search function and found many answers, though I'm at a loss as to which exactly would apply to me. Those who have been reading my trip report know that much of international travel is new to me, so any help here would be appreciated.

Early next week I'm flying OZ F from ICN to FRA. This is part of an Aeroplan award redemption. I get into FRA at 17:00. At 20:35 I am scheduled to fly FRA to CDG on LH in coach but it is a separate paid ticket that is not part of the Aeroplan award. After landing at CDG at 21:35 I'm spending the night at an airport hotel. My priorities for the stop-over, in order, are:

1) Don't miss the FRA-CDG flight
2) Do anything I can to minimize the time it takes to get from landing in CDG to the airport hotel, as I'll not have slept in about 24 hours.
3) Find a lounge with free wifi

Questions:

1) Is there any chance I'll be able to check my luggage in at ICN straight through to CDG, given that the OZ flight and the LH flight are on two separate tickets?
2) Assuming I can't, will I have to exit customs and border control in FRA and then recheck the bag to CDG?
3) Would I have access to any lounges in FRA as an arriving F passenger on OZ transiting to a different ticket on LH in coach?
4) Any other tips given the above?

Sorry for the long message and I am in everyone's debt at FT for making this trip go much smoother than it would have otherwise.
Since you are connecting from *A to LH in FRA, you may want to check the FRA connection thread in the M&M forum.

You should be able to check your baggage through to CDG. It might help if you check in online for your FRA-CDG flight (starting 23 hours before departure) and present your BP for the LH flight in ICN when you check in for your OZ flight.

If your baggage is checked through to CDG, you only need to go through passport control in FRA to enter Schengen.

Lounge access is normally dependent on your departing BP. Unless you have *G status I'm afraid there's no lounge access for passengers arriving on *A in F and departing on LH in Y.
Old May 25, 2012, 4:25 am

Programs: BAEC, MM, HH, MB
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Lounge access is normally dependent on your departing BP. Unless you have *G status I'm afraid there's no lounge access for passengers arriving on *A in F and departing on LH in Y.
Not sure, but at least if you arrive with LH in C or F you can access their lounges in FRA or MUC, even if you are connection in ECO.

Never tried that with a different *A-Airline but it could be possible.
Old May 25, 2012, 5:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Monty_GER
Not sure, but at least if you arrive with LH in C or F you can access their lounges in FRA or MUC, even if you are connection in ECO.

Er, not. NewbieRunner is correct.
Old May 25, 2012, 5:31 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Originally Posted by Monty_GER

F arrivals on LH/LX have access to the FCL or SEN lounges whether they are connecting to another flight or not.

Senator Lounges may be accessed by SEN (M&M *G) arriving on any *A flights but they are not arrival lounges for *G. Also Business Lounges are not arrival lounges unless arriving in F or M&M *G.

http://www.lufthansa.com/de/en/Lounge-types-and-access
Old May 25, 2012, 7:18 am

Programs: BAEC, MM, HH, MB
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Also Business Lounges are not arrival lounges unless arriving in F or M&M *G.
As a nonstatus-pax I had access to the Business-lounge in MUC after arriving on a TATL flight in C and domestic connection in Y. But, as I said, on LH. That might be the point.
Old May 25, 2012, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for the helpful feedback. I'll make sure to try and check in for FRA-CDG before leaving. It'd be nice to have the luggage go all the way through to CDG.
Old May 26, 2012, 3:35 am

Originally Posted by rincewind44
Thank you all for the helpful feedback. I'll make sure to try and check in for FRA-CDG before leaving. It'd be nice to have the luggage go all the way through to CDG.
Assuming you manage to check you baggage through to CDG, it might be a good idea to go to the transfer desk in FRA to make sure your luggage tag is linked with your BP.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.