Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Need help with itinerary traveling through Germany

Old Mar 5, 2014, 7:52 am
Original Poster

We have 3 weeks in Germany, traveling with a family of 4 (2 adult girls) and a small dog. We will be driving from the Netherlands (near Amsterdam) toward Munich and need to arrive in Strasbourg on Aug 14th

It is a long road and there are definitely places to see along the way. Once we are in Munich we will live there (experience the culture) and make day trips as well. We like small, charming towns, good food, picturesque. Also towns that have historical and/or cultural significance.

I have done a little-bit of research and try to come up with the best itinerary.
Can you please validate this itinerary and tell me if I should remove or add something. Where do I need more or less time.

My very start city and very end city can not change otherwise, I can revise.

July 29th
Amsterdam -> Aachen (drive: 2.5 hours, spend: 1-2 hours in Aachen)
Aachen -> Wrzburg (drive: 3.5 hours, spend: 3 hours in Wrzburg)
Wrzburg -> Rothenburg (drive: 40 min)

Spend the night in Rothenburg

July 30
Rothenburg - > Ulm (spend 3 hours in Rothenburg, drive: 1.5 hours, 3 hours in Ulm)
Ulm -> Augsburg (drive: 1hour, spend 2 hours in Augsburg)
Augsburg -> Munich (drive: 1hour)

Munich (July 30 - Aug 11 - 12 nights)

Aug 11
Munich -> Fssen (drive: 1.5 hours, spend: 4 hours in Neuschwanstein Castle, Spend: 4 hours in Fssen)

Spend the night in Fssen

Aug 12
Fssen -> Alatsee (spend: 5 hours in Alatsee)
Alatsee -> Lake Constance (Drive: 1 hour)
Lake Constance (Aug 12 - Aug 14 - 3 nights)
Visit: (Lindau, Reichenau, Mainau, Meersburg, Unteruhldingen)

Aug 14th
Lake Constance -> Sigmaringen Castle ( drive: 1.5 hours, spend: 2 hours at castle)
Sigmaringen Castle -> Hohenzollern Castle (drive: 1 hour, spend: 2 hours at castle)
Hohenzollern Castle -> Stuttgart (drive: 1 hour, spend: 2 hours in Stuttgard)
Stuttgart -> Strasbourg (drive: 2 hours)

While in Munich we will be doing day trips to:
Dachau
Hallstatt, Austria
Innsbruck, Austria
Nuremberg
Berchtesgaden

Thank you all in advance!
Mike
Old Mar 5, 2014, 9:06 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
Sorry no experience with long car trips but a tip for Innsbruck.

If you are interested in mountains, you can go up to the top of Hafelekar on the Nordkettenbahnen - first a funicular and then two cable cars :
http://www.nordkette.com/en/cable-railways.html
You can stop several times on the way up and down.
Wonderful views on a clear day and a fantastic experience ( especially for people from flat countries ).
Old Mar 5, 2014, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Thanks helosc. Will do.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 10:03 am

Programs: AA PLT
You won't get a chance to fully appreciate each of the smaller cities if you're only visiting for a few hours, but perhaps it will give you a chance to figure out where you want to come back to in the future.

That being said, I do think there are a couple you really should allocate more time to. As it's only a 40 minute train ride, I might consider moving Augsburg to a day trip from Munich so you can enjoy more than 2 hours there and give yourself a little extra time in Rothenburg and Ulm.

Along the same lines, there's no way you can do Stuttgart justice in 2 hours; I would consider taking one of the nights you'd spend in Munich and spend it there instead so you can have a full day to see the city.

In general, though, I think the itinerary looks fairly reasonable. A popular trip in Munich if you like beer is a hike up to Kloster Andechs. A journey out to the Chiemsee might also be fun.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 10:30 am
Original Poster

linglingfool: Thanks.
RE: moving Augsburg to a day trip - makes sense.
RE: Stuttgart - is the city a must? Is it unique compared to the rest of the cities that we will visit or its similar to one / many of them. Keep in mind, by this time the kids will be overwhelmed with Museums (especially Mercedes - since my 2 girls don't care for cars).
Old Mar 5, 2014, 11:45 am

Programs: AA PLT
Can't say whether or not Stuttgart's a "must" for you, but if you are going to visit I'm not sure what you would do for only 2 hours other than drive through it. It's a huge city with almost 2.5mm people in the metro area, and will be different than a lot of the smaller towns you'll pass through. There's a lot more to do besides visiting museums and churches; there are plenty of festivals held through the summer, especially in late July and early August, as well as plenty of theater and performances that your wife and daughters may enjoy. I would do a little research to see if there's anything that tickles your fancy.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
12nights Munich seems to be very much. Also for example Intercontinental Berchtesgaden is worth a journey. I can`t find Salzburg on your list. Any reason?

The travel Amsterdam - Aachen - Wrzburg - Rothenburg seems over ambitioned, especially if you like to do sightseeing.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

Sooo... I took your recommendations - Thank you everyone! Really! I eliminated some places because there is no time to cover everything. I have the following itinerary. Please let me know what you think and if you think I made some mistake or eliminated the wrong place.

July 29th
Amsterdam -> Aachen (drive: 2.5 hours, spend a full day in Aachen)
Aachen -> Rothenburg (drive: 4.5 hours)

July 29- Aug 1
Spend 3 nights in Rothenburg
Wrzburg

Aug 1
Rothenburg - > Ulm (drive: 1.5 hours, 5 hours in Ulm)
Ulm -> Munich (drive: 1.5 hours)

Munich (Aug 1 - Aug 11 - 10 nights)

Aug 11
Munich -> Fssen (drive: 1.5 hours, spend: 4 hours in Neuschwanstein Castle, Spend: 4 hours in Fssen)
Spend the night in Fssen

Aug 12

Aug 14th
Lake Constance -> Hohenzollern Castle (drive: 1.5 hour, spend: 4 hours at castle)
Hohenzollern Castle -> Strasbourg (drive: 2 hours)

Day trips from Munich:
Dachau
Berchtesgaden
Salzburg, Austria
Hallstatt, Austria
Innsbruck, Austria
Kloster Andechs
Nuremberg
Augsburg
Old Mar 8, 2014, 11:34 am

Factor the traffic

You will be hitting some of the cities when summer holidays begin. Your driving plan may be very ambitious when you are sharing the road with thousands of others heading to their vacation as well. We have gotten delayed due to not looking into that before we headed out. Different states start summer break at different times.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 6:12 pm
mav

Programs: Hilton, marriott, IHG, Club Carlson, United Airlines,timeshare owner
Smile

Originally Posted by mfeldman1969
Sooo... I took your recommendations - Thank you everyone! Really! I eliminated some places because there is no time to cover everything. I have the following itinerary. Please let me know what you think and if you think I made some mistake or eliminated the wrong place.

July 29th
Amsterdam -> Aachen (drive: 2.5 hours, spend a full day in Aachen)
Aachen -> Rothenburg (drive: 4.5 hours)

July 29- Aug 1
Wrzburg

Aug 1

Munich (Aug 1 - Aug 11 - 10 nights)

Aug 11
Spend the night in Fssen

Aug 12

Aug 14th
Lake Constance -> Hohenzollern Castle (drive: 1.5 hour, spend: 4 hours at castle)

Day trips from Munich:
Dachau
Berchtesgaden
Salzburg, Austria
Hallstatt, Austria
Innsbruck, Austria
Kloster Andechs
Nuremberg
Augsburg

Hello Mike ,
I just saw your thread. We go to Bavaria every summer. I can honestly say bavaria has a magical feel to it! IMHO I would cut a few days in Munich and be sure to see Oberammergau and Ettal. We also spend a week in Hohenschwangau { I know this is a bit long for most people}. but I STRONGLY suggest when you go to Fussen, spend the night in at Cafe Hotel Muller IN Hohenschwangau, rather then in Fussen. . You can read the reviews on tripadvisor. At Hotel Muller you will be right at the Castle Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau Castle. I always tell the staff at Hotel Muller that this is my paradise on earth. I think your girls would love it and this lovely spot!
Berschtesgaden is a good choice. Much history to see there. I have been to all of the other places on your list over the years. As I say Bavaria is a magical place that draws me every summer. After traveling to all the other spots it is Hohenschwangau, Oberammergau, Ettal, Garmisch/Parkenkirchen, Berchtesgaden, and in Austria it is Zell am See that has me coming back for weeks and I mean WEEKS on end in the summer. Also google RAMSAU, Germany and on your way to Berschtesgaden you may want to stop for an hour. WELL worth a look see. Sorry to put your trip on overload. I hope some of this helps.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Mav,

Thank you. I will look into your suggestions. My itinerary has change a little since the last post. All of my accommodations are set. What is still pending is places we visit (on day trips). I have 2 days to spend at Lake Constance. I am not sure which I should cover. Bregenz is one. Still figuring out the 2nd.

Here is my latest:

July 29- Aug 1
Wrzburg

Aug 1

Munich (Aug 1 - Aug 10 - 9 nights)
Day trips from Munich:
Dachau
Berchtesgaden
Salzburg, Austria
Hallstatt, Austria
Innsbruck, Austria

Aug 10
Spend the night in Fssen

Aug 11
Alatsee -> Hittisau Austria(Drive: 1 hour)

Hittisau (Aug 11 - Aug 14 - 3 nights)
Visit 2 of the following: (Lindau, Reichenau, Mainau, Meersburg, Unteruhldingen, Friedrichshafen, Bregenz)

Aug 14th
Hittisau -> Hohenzollern Castle (drive: 1.5 hour, spend: 4 hours at castle)

Aug 14th - 17
Strasbourg, France
Colmar, France
Old Mar 20, 2014, 10:00 pm

Out of curiosity, why are you spending 3 nights in Hittisau?

I don't think that is a good location if you want to visit Meersburg, Mainau, Reichenau, etc. You'll spend too much time driving back & forth. I was just in Meersburg this past week and go there several times a year. If I were planning this trip, I would have made Meersburg my base and visited this village along with Mainau, berlingen, Freidrichshafen and Konstanz. Lots to do in this area. I like walking along the Bodensee (Lake Constance) from village to village.

I've, also, been to the Bregenzerwald numerous times, not in Hittisau, but Lingenau. It's a beautiful area and known for it's cheese. If you are determined to stay 3 nights in Hittisau, I would drive the Ksestrasse from Lingenau to Bezau and explore this area on one day. Another day, I would visit Bregenz and, if you have the time, Lindau. You can ride a tram up the mountain in Bregenz. I would also suggest visiting the Rappenlochschlucht near Dornbirn. This would fill your Hittisau days.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by forgiveomatic
You will be hitting some of the cities when summer holidays begin. Your driving plan may be very ambitious when you are sharing the road with thousands of others heading to their vacation as well. We have gotten delayed due to not looking into that before we headed out. Different states start summer break at different times.
I have to agree with this comment about traffic during the high season, especially near the Bodensee. Wait until you drive along the B31 between Lindau and Meersburg - stop & go traffic. Also, probably, will have problems with traffic near Fssen, not to mention parking.

Originally Posted by mav
Hello Mike ,
I just saw your thread. We go to Bavaria every summer. I can honestly say bavaria has a magical feel to it! IMHO I would cut a few days in Munich and be sure to see Oberammergau and Ettal. We also spend a week in Hohenschwangau { I know this is a bit long for most people}. but I STRONGLY suggest when you go to Fussen, spend the night in at Cafe Hotel Muller IN Hohenschwangau, rather then in Fussen. . You can read the reviews on tripadvisor. At Hotel Muller you will be right at the Castle Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau Castle. I always tell the staff at Hotel Muller that this is my paradise on earth. I think your girls would love it and this lovely spot!
Agree 100% about Hotel Mller. A really nice hotel and a great strategic location for visiting the castles.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Thanks FLYMSY, that's great insight.
Reason for Hittisau:
Since we are spending almost 3 weeks in Germany we will be visiting many beautiful towns and villages. My family and I decided we wanted to stay few days in an Austrian farm with locally made cheese and other products. We wanted to milk the cows, etc.
I found Hittisau farm with availability for us (we are also traveling with a dog).
Our friend lived in Sibratsfall for few days and loved it.
99% of the farms are already booked.

One fact: Our places to stay are already committed. Now we are trying to organize where to go and how to make best use of our stay.
While we are in the region we definitely want to see the floating stage.

So how should I plan?

Mike
Old Mar 21, 2014, 8:41 am
mav

Programs: Hilton, marriott, IHG, Club Carlson, United Airlines,timeshare owner
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
I have to agree with this comment about traffic during the high season, especially near the Bodensee. Wait until you drive along the B31 between Lindau and Meersburg - stop & go traffic. Also, probably, will have problems with traffic near Fssen, not to mention parking.

Agree 100% about Hotel Mller. A really nice hotel and a great strategic location for visiting the castles.
Hi FLYMSI,
I am happy you enjoyed your stay at Muller's. We stay there every summer for a week or week and a half. I have been staying there so many years now the staff call me by my first name. It is like going back to family. I get hugged and almost knocked off my feet when we arrive. I always tell them this place is my heaven on earth! The hotel has been in the Muller family for over 100 years now.
We REALLY enjoy it when the tourists head out for the day. We like to walk up the hill to the bridge after 5pm and view the castle til our hearts content. We also wander to the lake and enjoy the peace and magic. Some days we drive to Oberammergau and Ettal while the hourdes are at the castles as these 2 spots are favorites of ours also. We also like to wander in Fussen and have a drink in the pedestrian of town. If you go back to Hohenschwangau have dinner 1 night at Hotel Post which is in Schwangau. Fabulous food and the staff there is wonderful also.
Maria

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.