Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

First time in Germany (and Belgium) - please critique my itinerary!

First time in Germany (and Belgium) - please critique my itinerary!

Old May 17, 2012, 5:12 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA-1P AB-Gold SPG-Plat Hilton-DIA Hyatt-DIA PC-Gold MR-Plat Hertz-PC
I agree about Trier! If you need a place to stay, the Park Plaza is really good and on most dates really affordable. Its right in the center.
Old May 17, 2012, 5:40 am

Programs: StarAlliance
Visit to Berlin

When in Berlin why don't you make a trip to Oranienburg. The former KZ
there (S-Bahn to Oranienburg, then bus to Gedenkstaette) is a depressing
site, similar to Dachau. Apart from the Holocaust Memorial I would recommend
a visit to the new museum at "Site of Terror", the former SS headquarters.
Located right next to Gropiusbau, few steps from Potsdamer Platz.

On a lighter aspect, when looking for lunch try 'Brecht's" on Schiffbauerdamm
for Austrian/German cuisine, 'Duke' at Ellington Hotel (behind KadeWe) or
Entrecote (French bistro) near Checkpoint Charlie. Can also recommend the
kosher restaurant at the main synagogue (Oranienburger Strasse).
Enjoy your stay in Berlin.
Old May 25, 2012, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Based on advice given, I've come up with a new (and hopefully improved ) itinerary.

I'll start out the same as before...

Nights 1-3 Berlin Really it's only 2.5 days there based on arrival and departure times.

Nights 4-6 Dusseldorf I changed this to combine DUS and Cologne into one portion instead of divding them up. I'd arrive in DUS late and have the next day there, then spend the next whole day in Cologne. Hotels in Cologne are much more expensive for my dates so it makes sense to say the whole time in DUS.

Night 7 Amsterdam I'd take an early train from DUS (it's only 2.5 hours!) and get there before noon, having the rest of the day and whole night there. I'd leave on a mid-morning train for Antwerp and then Bruges. I like this because I'd get to see Antwerp on the way to Bruges, rather than having to take a day trip there.

Nights 8-9 Bruges I'd arrive late the first night after spending 6-7 hours in Antwerp. I'd have one day in Bruges and leave early the next morning for Luxembourg.

Nights 10-11 Luxembourg Early train from Bruges stopping in Ghent and Brussels for a few hours, arriving late evening in Luxembourg. (Even though I'd be there two nights, I'm really only getting one day there, just like Bruges).

Night 12 Trier I'd leave early from Luxembourg so I'd have a full day in Trier. The next morning I'd take the train to Koblenz and then do my trip along the Rhine (probably renting a car because I'll have my luggage).

Night 13 Mainz I'd spend some morning time here before catching the train to Munich.

Nights 14-15 Munich Day trip to Dachau.

Night 16 Nuremburg

My only problem with the above is it leaves out Aachen. I'm trying to make my train trips as convenient as possible (quickest and least amount of connections - unless I'm visiting the connecting city) and getting to Aachen between DUS and AMS or between BRU and LUX just isn't convenient. A day trip from Cologne wouldn't work either as I only have one day there.

Also, I've taken a day off Munich so as to not go too far over my two week goal. I'll be doing one or two LAX-TLV round trips per year for the next couple of years so I'm considering leaving off Bavaria for this trip and doing it as a stopover next year. That would also give me an extra day to insert somewhere else if I feel I'm rushing.

As always, I'm open to suggestions.

LH7119, great tips for Berlin! ^
Old May 29, 2012, 3:48 am

Originally Posted by hedur
Based on advice given, I've come up with a new (and hopefully improved ) itinerary.
I didn't comment on the first version (didn't know where to start ), but this new version looks a lot better. Dropping Bonn was a good idea, and I wouldn't worry too much about not seeing Aachen either.

The Amsterdam - Antwerpen - Brugge - Gent - Brussel - Luxembourg route is also an improvement. It exchanges not needed "Brugges time" for a chance to get a general idea of the cities in the Low Countries. (But don't fool yourself into thinking that you'll really get to know the places your visit - but I assume that's not your goal.)
Old Jun 4, 2012, 4:39 am

Red face

I like the new route. It gives you more sights to see and I think less time traveling too!

If you approach the Rhine from Trier make sure you visit the Lorelei at St. Goar and also stop in Rdesheim am Rhein.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
I have been to Aachen and trust me you won't be missing much. About the only thing it is really note able for is the Cathedral.

I do like the new route you proposed.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 6:09 am

Programs: DL MM/FC/FO; UA PS; AA GLD
Definitely don't overnight in Cologne. Its worth going to see the cathedral and take the morning boat trip on the Rhine, but you could do that and have plenty of time to get to one of the smaller, more picturesque towns before nightfall.

Bavaria is wonderful. Don't cut your time short there. Even though you're flying into Berlin, that's the city I would save for next time.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Mini trip report and request for itinerary input

I'm reviving this almost two year old thread to 1) give a report on what I ended up doing and 2) ask for input on an itinerary for next week.

I ended up taking my trip in April/May of last year. For the Europe portion, I started with a night in Paris, then headed to Luxembourg City for 3 nights. I stayed at the Sofitel on the outskirts of town. I loved walking across the bridge to the city center each day with a view of The Grund. I also took a day trip to Trier which was very memorable because it was Karl Marx's birth month. Apparently, they take this very seriously in the place of his birth :

Then it was off to Bruges for 4 nights. This is much more than many here recommended but I think it depends on the person. Personally, I wouldn't trade my time there for anything. I stayed at the lovely Pand Hotel and spent a day biking along the river to Sluis in the Netherlands which turned out to be one of the highlights of my trip. Here are a few pics from that wonderful day:

I had so much fun renting a bike that I decided to do it again on the day before I was to leave for Germany which, unfortunately, turned out to be my undoing. I had an accident and broke both my arms which required surgery and a hospital stay. Thankfully, Bruges has a wonderful hospital and orthopedic center (seriously, if you're going to break bones in Belgium, Bruges is the right place to do it!) but it wasn't exactly a great end to my trip.

Since that time, I've gotten to spend 12 nights in Munich, including during Christmas Market time which was magical. I highly recommend the Mandarin Oriental there. Best hotel staff I've experienced anywhere in Europe.

That leaves Berlin and the Rhine Region as the only places in Germany that I haven't visited that were on my original itinerary.

I arrive in London next Tues. (I can connect to anywhere) and don't have to be in Paris for my return flight until the 2nd of April. My tentative plan for now is:

Train to Cologne for 3 nights - staying at the Excelsior Hotel Ernst

Rent a car and drive up the Rhine stopping at places of interest along the way

2 nights at the castle Auf Schnburg in Oberwesel

Train to Paris for one night before catching a flight home

Because I realize 6 nights for Dsseldorf and Cologne might be a bit much, my alternate plan is to:

Train to Dsseldorf for 2 nights

Rent a car and see Cologne and sites along the Rhine

2 nights at the castle Auf Schnburg in Oberwesel before heading to Paris

My only concern with plan #2 is I'm afraid it doesn't give me enough time for the region along the Rhine.

I would love input with options I haven't considered. From London, I can fly anywhere, as long as I can comfortably be in Paris by the 2nd (meaning no eight hour train rides). I haven't considered Hamburg but maybe I should.

Thanks to all who have read this far. Basically, if you had a week for Germany tell me what you would do!

I appreciate any and all input!
Old Mar 17, 2014, 5:28 pm

Rhine Boat Trip

I would give some thought to cutting out the car trip along the Rhine and substituting a half day boat trip from perhaps Koblenz to Mainz. The boat is a particularly relaxing way to see the river corridor, with KD being one of the major operators. Stops in towns along the way are also possible.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Reindeerflame
I would give some thought to cutting out the car trip along the Rhine and substituting a half day boat trip from perhaps Koblenz to Mainz. The boat is a particularly relaxing way to see the river corridor, with KD being one of the major operators. Stops in towns along the way are also possible.
You're not the first person to mention the option of a boat trip so I'm definitely going to look into it. I had wanted to drive to the castle instead of trying to get a taxi from the train station so now I just need to figure out how I can achieve that, as well as not having my luggage with me while on the boat. I wouldn't want to have to store it at every place I stopped.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 2:26 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

I would say one day for Dsseldorf and Cologne should be sufficent if you will stick to the highlight (thopugh this artilce says 36 hours http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/03/tr...many.html?_r=0)

Anyway, personally I think the Breidenbacher Hof is overrated, but this might be only my personal impression. From my experience service is compared to other hotels low ...

The boat trip is okay, but I would only consider it, if the weather is good. Have time for it in your schedule but a plan B if it is raining. Driving is a soluition, but if you are going on you own, you should focus on the road, meaning the Rhine Valley could be busy and you will not have much change to focus on the road and the landscape along the street.

Have you been to the area around Karlsruhe and the region around Weinstrae (between Mainz / Frankfurt and Karlsruhe(?. Not a bad region either (e.g. worth a visit Hambacher Schloss http://www.hambacher-schloss.de/). My suggestion is you can easily drive there down from Oberwesel, return the rental car in Karlsruhe and catch a TGV to Paris
Old Mar 23, 2014, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the response, FLYGVA.

My plans have changed in that I'm spending a few of my days in NYC on the way so I won't reach London until the 28th. I'm trying to decide between just staying in London (a far less complicated option) or trying to make Germany work. Two possible plans:

2 nights at the River Hilton in Mainz (wherever I start I need two nights for jet lag)
Leisurely drive to Oberwesel
2 nights at Auf Schnburg castle
Drive to Cologne stopping at points of interest along the way
1 night at Excelsior Hotel Ernst
Nonstop train to Paris on THA

OR

After Oberwesel, heading south instead, as FLYGVA suggested, ending with one night in Heidelberg (open to suggestions here).

I'm wondering if this isn't too much to try to stuff into 5 nights and I should leave it for when I have more time. Berlin would be perfect (because after 4 nights there I could get to Paris on the CNL) but I'm having trouble finding a nonstop flight from London, probably because it's a Friday. I'm on an AA award and the only options they're showing are overnight connections. No thanks!
Old Mar 23, 2014, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Thanks for the response, FLYGVA.

My plans have changed in that I'm spending a few of my days in NYC on the way so I won't reach London until the 28th. I'm trying to decide between just staying in London (a far less complicated option) or trying to make Germany work. Two possible plans:

2 nights at the River Hilton in Mainz (wherever I start I need two nights for jet lag)
Leisurely drive to Oberwesel
2 nights at Auf Schnburg castle
Drive to Cologne stopping at points of interest along the way
1 night at Excelsior Hotel Ernst
Nonstop train to Paris on THA

OR

After Oberwesel, heading south instead, as FLYGVA suggested, ending with one night in Heidelberg (open to suggestions here).

I'm wondering if this isn't too much to try to stuff into 5 nights and I should leave it for when I have more time. Berlin would be perfect (because after 4 nights there I could get to Paris on the CNL) but I'm having trouble finding a nonstop flight from London, probably because it's a Friday. I'm on an AA award and the only options they're showing are overnight connections. No thanks!
In Heidelberg I like Europischer Hof. Perhaps not the most modern rooms, but great Service at my stay.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by offerendum
In Heidelberg I like Europischer Hof. Perhaps not the most modern rooms, but great Service at my stay.
Good to know. I like that they have pictures of each room on their site. Not enough hotels do that, IMO. Do you have any knowledge of the Heidelberg Suites? That's the hotel that stood out to me as I was searching.

I've decided to make it easy on myself and go with London for this trip. I don't want to feel like I have to skimp on my time in Germany by trying to cram too much in a small window of time.

Thanks to all who chimed in. ^
Old Mar 24, 2014, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Do you have any knowledge of the Heidelberg Suites? That's the hotel that stood out to me as I was searching.

^
No, I`m sorry.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.