Wiki Posts
Search

DB Lounge(s) in Frankfurt

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
DB Lounge(s) in Frankfurt

On the DB webpage discussing their Lounges, there is a list of 15 stations which have them. Four of the stations in the list -- Berlin, Hamburg, Munich and Cologne -- have an asterisk, which indicates a 'separate 1st Class lounge location'. In the text, however, it says

> new 1st Class DB lounges in Berlin, Hamburg, Munich, Cologne
> and Frankfurt / Main bring comfort to a new level...

So, the first question is: does Frankfurt/M have a 'separate 1st Class location' or not?

Why do I ask?

On the DB page discussing Wi-Fi access on ICE trains and in DB Lounges, it says wi-fi is available in all lounges. It adds, however, that

> In the separate first class area of some exclusive lounges the HotSpot access
> is free of charge for first class passengers.

Finally, who is who? Back on the Lounge page again, we find

> Entrance to DB Lounges
> DB lounges are open to:
> - passengers with valid DB 1st class rail tickets
> - ‘bahn.bonus.comfort’ customers and 1 accompanying person

Now, let me see if I've got this right.

• Access to the 15 lounges is available to the passengers designated above.

• All the lounges have wi-fi.

• Some of the lounges have a separate 1st Class section, where the bahn.bonus.comfort customers can't go.

• In the stations (four? or five?) where the Lounge has a separate 1st Class section, the wi-fi is free -- in the 1st Class section only.

• In all other stations (ten? or 11?), wi-fi is available but it is not free, even for 1st Class passengers.

I'm flying into FRA and am thinking of buying a 1st Class Rail&Fly ticket. After the long flight I will need some time online. If I have to pay for access at FRA Fernbahnhof but can get it free at Frankfurt/M Hbf, then I will probably arrange to stop there.

Any insight or experience will be welcomed. I have never been in the Flughafen Fernbahnhof and the last time I was in the Hauptbahnhof was a good few years ago -- and I wasn't a 1st Class passenger.

cheers,

Henry
Old Feb 23, 2012, 2:55 pm

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Hi Henry,

There is definitely a First Class section in the DB lounge at Frankfurt Main station with free snacks, drinks and wifi. You get a 2 hours wifi pass similar to the ones in the LH lounges. The wifi is not only free in the First Class section. If you have a voucher you can use it in the entire lounge.

There is no separate first section in the DB lounge at Frankfurt airport though and the lounge is nothing special anyway (no nice view).

Enjoy your trip.
Cheers,
totti
Old Feb 23, 2012, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
O.K.

My turn for a question. Does entry into the lounge with a first class ticket mean any type of first class ticket? Particularly, one of those discounted advance-purchase specials, or just the standard first class ticket? And the DB lounge at Frankfurt Hbf is the one upstairs from the DB Reise Zentrum, yes?
Old Feb 24, 2012, 2:41 am

Originally Posted by Fanjet
O.K.

My turn for a question. Does entry into the lounge with a first class ticket mean any type of first class ticket? Particularly, one of those discounted advance-purchase specials, or just the standard first class ticket? And the DB lounge at Frankfurt Hbf is the one upstairs from the DB Reise Zentrum, yes?
You can find information about the lounges and lounge access here.

Generally, every First Class ticket will do, even a "SparPreis" ticket. However, you won't be allowed to enter the lounge if the origin and destination of your trip are in one and the same regional transport association, e.g. RNV or RMV, VBB, or RMV.

On the German website it is mentioned that the terms of service are under revision and a new version will be published soon. I have no idea though if this implies a change of access rules.

For now, you should be safe with every long distance ticket.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 6:05 am

I just visited a DB lounge and asked the staff about possible changes in the terms of service but they had no idea. Let's wait and see.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
From what I do understand, certain railpasses are excluded from access to the lounges
Old Mar 1, 2012, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
From what I do understand, certain railpasses are excluded from access to the lounges
Where did you find this informatoin? The only thing I could find on the website was the following:

Eintritt in die DB Lounge erhalten
- Reisende mit einer gültigen DB-Fernverkehrsfahrkarte 1. Klasse
- bahn.bonus comfort-Kunden und eine Person in ihrer Begleitung.

Zu den 1.Klasse-Bereichen der DB Lounges Berlin, Hamburg, München, Köln und Frankfurt/M. Hbf haben ausschließlich Reisende mit einer gültigen DB Fernverkehrsfahrkarte 1. Klasse (ausgenommen sind Fahrkarten mit Start und Ziel innerhalb der Gebiete der jeweiligen Verkehrsverbünde) Zutritt. Die Mitarbeiterinnen und Mitarbeiter der DB Lounges geben Ihnen hierzu gerne weiterführende Informationen. Weitere Informationen zur Zugangsregelung entnehmen Sie bitte auch unseren Nutzungsbestimmungen.
Would be good to know, even though I will most likely not be concerned because I normally have a normal ticket and have bahn.comfort status.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 1:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by totti
Where did you find this informatoin? The only thing I could find on the website was the following...
On the English-language page

http://www.bahn.com/i/view/GBR/en/se..._lounges.shtml

it does say

> Please note that Rail Pass holders do not have access to DB Lounges.

cheers,

Henry
Old Mar 5, 2012, 8:55 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Henry999: Please consider staying at FRA Fernbahnhof. The station downtown is shabby and one of the most unpleasant in all of Germany.

At FRA you have not only the DB lounge but the very nice Squaire shopping mall with good dining and wining options next to the station.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mosburger;
henry999: Please consider staying at FRA Fernbahnhof. The station downtown is shabby and one of the most unpleasant in all of Germany.

At FRA you have not only the DB lounge but the very nice Squaire shopping mall with good dining and wining options next to the station.
OK, as long as they have free Wi-Fi.

cheers,

Henry
Old Mar 6, 2012, 10:45 am

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, IHG plat, DB Comfort, SPG gold
Originally Posted by henry999
Not all of them do, although the information flyer clearly states that "wi-fi is free in all DB Lounges". What I do know is that Frankfurt Airport and Düsseldorf Central both have free wi-fi (on the landing page of SSID "Telekom" just tick the checkbox that you agree to the TOS), however, Stuttgart doesn't have the free feature (you'll be prompted to enter your login credentials). However, I'm not sure whether you may get a voucher at the lounge reception.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 2:22 pm

On the English-language page

http://www.bahn.com/i/view/GBR/en/se..._lounges.shtml

it does say

> Please note that Rail Pass holders do not have access to DB Lounges.

cheers,

Henry
I asked in the lounge today. Rail pass is just the translation for any ticket of a regional transport association as mentioned in my post above.

Originally Posted by mosburger
Henry999: Please consider staying at FRA Fernbahnhof. The station downtown is shabby and one of the most unpleasant in all of Germany.
Sorry but this is totally wrong. Frankfurt Main station is nothing different from any other large train station like Cologne. The lounge itself is clean and one of the lounges with the best view on the tracks and it is definitely not one of the most unpleasant stations in Germany. I do not know where you normally travel to and from but I have been to many stations in Germany which are by far worse. BTW: Frankfurt main station is one of the most safest stations in Germany.

cheers,

Henry
There is now free wifi in all lounges even in the normal section of the lounge. However, the wifi was down in the last days (I experienced this in FRA (airport and downtown), Munich, Cologne and Dusseldorf). They hope to resume service soon again.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 2:34 pm
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

Frankfurt is in addition a huge lounge which I have never found overcroweded like Düsseldorf, Cologne or Frankfurt Fernbahnhof. In addition Frankfurt Hauptbahnhof has a proper First Class section.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Where did you find this informatoin?
At least in Munich and Berlin it is clearly signposted: No access with First Class travel passes.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 3:26 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Sorry but this is totally wrong. Frankfurt Main station is nothing different from any other large train station like Cologne. The lounge itself is clean and one of the lounges with the best view on the tracks and it is definitely not one of the most unpleasant stations in Germany. I do not know where you normally travel to and from but I have been to many stations in Germany which are by far worse. BTW: Frankfurt main station is one of the most safest stations in Germany.
I've used and use all Berlin long distance stations, Cologne, Dusseldorf, Frankfurt airport and main stations plus Hannover extensively and still Frankfurt Hbf is at the bottom of my personal ranking.

If we are talking about a traveller who lands at FRA and intends to continue by long distance train from there then I really do not see any reason to head downtown just because the DB lounge might be a bit better equipped. There are longhaul arrival lounges at FRA for both Star Alliance and Oneworld that are far superior to any of their railway brethren.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.