Search

Overnight MUC

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2014, 4:59 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: *A
Overnight MUC

Dropping off rental car at MUC on Saturday May 17 around 5 pm. My flight departs Sunday at 9:50 am. Would you recommend staying at an airport hotel or the city? I would like to get dinner and walk around for a bit that evening if possible.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 5:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Search "MUC overnight" and you get answers to a very similar question: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/germa...ht-before.html
Old Apr 6, 2014, 5:20 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: *A
Kempinski it is!
Old Apr 7, 2014, 9:23 am

Programs: OW Emerald
If you've never been to Munich you can easily take a hotel in the city and explore Munich for 2-3 hours plus a nice dinner. Trains to city center take around 40 minutes, so there's plenty of time to go there!
Old May 7, 2014, 5:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
It really depends on your situation. The problem with MUC is that it's quite a way out from Munich itself, so options for getting in are either to take the S8 train (40 mins +/-, though there are frequent reports of delays) or a taxi (€70). While the city is undoubtedly more interesting than hanging around in a deserted airport, €140 in cab fare, €200 for a decent hotel, etc add up. The Kempinski is the best hotel at the airport, though it also is not cheap. There is very little to do either in that hotel or at the airport. One idea may be to take a taxi to Erding, or even Freising, for example (each ca 15 mins in taxi), walk around, find a nice restaurant, and then come back to the Kempi to sleep.
Old May 14, 2014, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I'd check into the Kempinski and then take the S8 into town for a few hours - Marienplatz is a good central place to get off.

Check the schedule for your day before your trip. There can be track work on nights/weekends, and it isn't uncommon for the S8 from/to MUC to end at Ostbahnhof during those times, meaning you need to transfer there to another train - probably the S. Not a huge deal, but just one more step. Today the last direct train is departing Marienplatz at around 10:30, but when I look at this Saturday I'm not seeing any direct trains the entire evening.

Last edited by milepig; May 14, 2014 at 12:31 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.