International Connection (14 Hours) in FRA

Subscribe
Flying out of FLR (Florence) on Lufthansa City Line, arriving Frankfurt (FRA) at 8:25pm.

Connecting Flight wait time is 14 Hours 35 minutes...

Flying out of FRA at 11:00am next day to Los Angeles LAX.

Questions:

For this 14 hour long connection wait, what should I do?
Not leave the airport?
If ever I leave the airport upon arrival at FRA and stay in a hotel and then come back the next morning, that means I will be going out through security; will I need to have a Germany Visa to do this? (US Citizen here)
Will I have to go through immigration/customs again, if ever I do or do not?
What are my options, what can I do in any of the above cases?
Is there a lounge I can stay at in the airport?

Will greatly appreciate any input... thanks!
Quote: Flying out of FLR (Florence) on Lufthansa City Line, arriving Frankfurt (FRA) at 8:25pm.

Connecting Flight wait time is 14 Hours 35 minutes...

Flying out of FRA at 11:00am next day to Los Angeles LAX.

Questions:

For this 14 hour long connection wait, what should I do?
Not leave the airport?
If ever I leave the airport upon arrival at FRA and stay in a hotel and then come back the next morning, that means I will be going out through security; will I need to have a Germany Visa to do this? (US Citizen here)
Will I have to go through immigration/customs again, if ever I do or do not?
What are my options, what can I do in any of the above cases?
Is there a lounge I can stay at in the airport?

Will greatly appreciate any input... thanks!
You don't want to stay at the airport for 14 hours! When you arrive in FRA from FLR, there's no passport check to enter Germany as you are still in Schengen. Flights between Schengen countries such as Italy and Germany are like domestic flights. US passport holders don't need a visa to enter Italy or Germany.

When you return to the airport in the morning you will have to clear passport control and security but compared with the US both are quite painless.

There's no lounge at FRA where you can stay overnight. I suggest you search for "FRA layover" in this forum for what to do duing your layover.
Go to a hotel and a get a good night's sleep before your long journey.

A personal favorite near FRA that offers transportation to/from the airport is the Gravenbruch Kempinski.
As NewbieRunner suggests, there are plenty of threads about what to do with layovers of varying lengths at FRA. Here's one that equates to your 14 hours http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/germa...overnight.html or this one right on this first page of the forum without having to search http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/germa...e-evening.html
In my opinion I have no love for Frankfurt. But there is lots to do there, such as the Red Light District across from the Main Tran Station (Frankfurt HBF)