Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe including Turkey > Germany
Sign in using an external account

Old Sep 4, 11, 6:59 pm   #1

Mainz/Cologne Trip

My choices are an overnight train to Cologne and staying there 3 nights and focusing my attention on Cologne. Never been to either so I wanted to see what you think of those cities Or staying 2 nights/days in Mainz and 2 night/days in Cologne. Also is there buses that go from Mainz to Cologne? Thanks!
ASUDan130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 11, 1:02 am   #2

Programs: IC PC Plat., HH Diamond, SPG Plat., A|Club Plat., M&M SEN
Mainz is nice if you are in the area (because you have a flight from FRA for instance). But I don't think that it is worth the 200km or so from Köln (Cologne), unless you have a specific reason to go there.
Why don't you combine Köln with Düsseldorf for instance?
Koby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 11, 9:01 am   #3

Programs: aa co
Cologne

Here is some info about Köln I found useful: Cologne Any info please, travel, places to go, eat etc
DennyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 11, 2:06 pm   #4

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest, DL DM and 1MM, CO - Platinum, UA
Cologne is a great city. There are Roman ruins there - you can actually walk in the old Roman sewers under the streets. There is a great Roman museum there. Of course there is the Dom, which is spectacular. And there is the chocolate museum (and shop), which I really enjoyed. At Christmas, there are at least 5 Christmas markets in the city.
Old Sep 8, 11, 6:05 pm   #5

So if you had to choose between 3 nights in Cologne and 1 in Mainz you would take that over 2 and 2? Is one full day enough to get the jist of Mainz itself and spend more time in Cologne?
ASUDan130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 11, 4:03 am   #6

Programs: Severals Golds (BA, BD, AB and LH), Highest tier with HH, SPG and ICRA, lawyer, sometimes a nice guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUDan130 View Post
So if you had to choose between 3 nights in Cologne and 1 in Mainz you would take that over 2 and 2? Is one full day enough to get the jist of Mainz itself and spend more time in Cologne?
I would stay 1 day in Mainz, 1 day in Bonn and two in Cologne. The three places are all on the same train (main) line, so it is an easy journey.

Do not feel offended by my posts - remember, I am a simple minded litigation lawyer.
Flying Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 11, 1:09 am   #7

Programs: AA-EXP (1.6MM), HP-Gold, UA-2P, AS-MVP, BA-Slvr, VS-Slvr, HH-Diamond, SPG-Gold, IC-Plat, BW-Platinum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer View Post
I would stay 1 day in Mainz, 1 day in Bonn and two in Cologne. The three places are all on the same train (main) line, so it is an easy journey.
I would have to agree. I definitely wouldn't bypass Mainz. I just love that town.
Old Sep 10, 11, 2:43 pm   #8

Programs: Delta, AA, Marriott
I also like Mainz, but Cologne has considerably more to offer. For example, the Museum Ludwig in the latter is worth several hours for any fan of modern art.
Clay_C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 11, 2:56 pm   #9
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: statusless these days
A whole day in Mainz is more than enough. The city is small and compact and there really isn't that much to do after a whole day (or even part of one).

A good and scenic way to get to Koeln from there is via K-D ferry.