FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Germany (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/germany-626/)
-   -   Reasonable Accomodation for FRA Overnight (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/germany/1200102-reasonable-accomodation-fra-overnight.html)

RoninTech Mar 30, 2011 11:15 am

Reasonable Accomodation for FRA Overnight

Hi all,

Next spring we are flying:

BKK – FRA TG F 13:15 – 19:05
Overnight in FRA
FRA – YYC LH F 10:15 – 12:10

I looked at the FRA Sheraton and it appears to be outrageously expensive at ~$300 for their cheapest room. Any recommendations on where we could stay for a more reasonable price? We’ll be getting up early to experience the FCT before our LH flight to YYC. An airport shuttle or close proximity to the airport train would be a big plus.

Thanks!

oliver2002 Mar 30, 2011 11:17 am

Moved to Travel & Dining -> Germany forum for better traction.

Regards Oliver2002
Mod M&M forum

SunshineStay Mar 30, 2011 3:18 pm

There are plenty of threads here in the Germany forum on this topic. My recommendation would be the Steigenberger Airport hotel (Steigenberger is a big German hotel chain). Their website is here.

Duhey2 Mar 30, 2011 8:46 pm

Take the S8 to Mainz (25--30 mins) and stay across from the train station at the Konigshof or the Top Hammer hotels. Doubles run in the 75-90EUR range.

exbrit Mar 31, 2011 6:23 pm

I did this exact thing last year, and got a great deal on a 4 star hotel thru. Priceline. Don't try to book until just before you travel, rates are better. Bid on "Airport Hotels". First go to "biddingfortravel.com" to see what rates are being accepted in FRA.

NoMiddleSeat Apr 1, 2011 10:18 am

An alternative is to take the S8 or S9 to the Frankfurt Hauptbanhof (3 stops,20 min 3.90 Euro) there are a lot of hotels suiting a wide range of budgets.

ACflyerDE Apr 2, 2011 6:23 pm

The Holiday Inn Frankfurt Airport - North has rates around EUR 70-105 and provides a free shuttle to/from FRA. Not too much to do and see within walking distance there but it's a decent place for the money spent.

eponymous_coward Apr 11, 2011 9:06 am

The Sheraton at FRA is also available using cash ($60 USD) and points (4000 SPG Starpoints) pretty frequently. It's not too hard to come up with SPG points with various promotions, if you have most of a year to do this, and you can stay at a Starwood property or three between now and then. For instance, SPG will give you 2000 Starpoints on their best rate guarantee. These can be some of the best uses of Starpoints- to make obnoxiously expensive properties quite reasonable.

retirementdreams Apr 15, 2011 9:39 pm

The Holiday Inn Express Messe often has very competitive rates..apprx 10 min bus ride to Hauptbahnhoff then quick train ride to airport. I've stayed there several times. (Rates are cheaper if there are no conventions etc going on).

Kathrin Apr 16, 2011 4:04 pm

There are plenty of hotels in Frankfurt centre around Hauptwache, Konstablerwache, and around the central station, from where you reach the airport in 15 minutes by direct commuter train (S-Bahn). No need to stay in a so-called airport hotel out in the sticks where there is nothing to do in the evening.

eponymous_coward Apr 21, 2011 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by Kathrin (Post 16230540)
There are plenty of hotels in Frankfurt centre around Hauptwache, Konstablerwache, and around the central station, from where you reach the airport in 15 minutes by direct commuter train (S-Bahn). No need to stay in a so-called airport hotel out in the sticks where there is nothing to do in the evening.

I can think of a number of reasons why you'd rather have the hotel in the sticks that's convenient to FRA: you're not likely to be going out and touring Frankfurt, because your plane arrives at FRA at around 1 am, Bangkok time, and you plan on being up early to go to the FCT (as the OP says), and take another longhaul flight the next day that will also blow across a bunch of time zones.

If you're traveling light (or heavy, but checking in most of yiour luggage the night before and just keeping an overnight bag, so you're not hauling luggage over downtown Frankfurt) and don't mind losing sleep over nighttime sightseeing, sure, I think using a 12-14 stopover to do grab a hotel room downtown's a fine idea. If all you're planning on doing is laying your head down/relaxing in the hotel room, and going to the FCT in the morning, though, then the airport hotel makes eminent sense (and that is how I usually end my trips to Germany- at the FRA Sheraton). Plus, if you really wanted to go into town, you COULD leave luggage at the airport hotel and head in... ;)

CAPT Tee Apr 26, 2011 2:11 pm

I usually pay 40 - 50 euros/night for a 3* level hotel in FRA (non -meese weekend rate from FRI to MON).

OT: If OP's BKK to FRA flight had been on LH instead of TG, wouldn't LH have put OP in a hotel for free?

RoninTech Apr 27, 2011 8:29 am

Some great advice here. Thanks all! We'll probably stay close to FRA and head to the FCT bright and early. When it gets closer I'll checkout the bidding thing. Also just received 11K SPG points so might do that although no CASh and Points option is available past December according to the SPG site.

CAPT Tee, we'd rather get the BKK TG F Spa experience than a free hotel at FRA. :) If I had been thinking I should have tried to get the late night BKK-FRA TG flight to avoid any need for a hotel in FRA. Ah well, lesson learned.

eponymous_coward May 5, 2011 12:30 pm

Also just received 11K SPG points so might do that although no CASh and Points option is available past December according to the SPG site.
They might not be doing C&P bookings that far out yet.

I'd probably get a refundable booking as a stand-in at a price you find decent, and then settle on SPG C&P or Priceline/Hotwire closer to your date. I've done that for a number of my bookings on a trip I am about to take- found someplace that is "OK" and fully refundable, then planned on doing the second booking at a later point closer in of something more ideal but will lock down my cash.

flugvergnugen May 6, 2011 7:38 am

Hilton will have opened 2 properties at FRA by next spring, a regular Hilton and an HGI. May want to check those out too.