Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting Flights in Dusseldorf

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2013, 4:22 am

Originally Posted by thegov

Not quite sure what you mean by "remote position"

Thx again
The CRJ900 usually don't have a terminal possition at DUS, so you need to make a short busdrive on the tarmac.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 6:09 am

Programs: LH Sen, AF/KL gold, AB platinum, BA silver, HHonors diamond, SPG gold, ...
Originally Posted by thegov
Is there a particular type of transfer badge to be requested in Dublin? Sorry - just not that familiar with intra-European transfers.

Would it be faster to use my UK (EU) passport rather than Cdn to go thru passport control more quickly? Or no difference?
The airlines or Alliances have badges or stickers they should(!) put on the luggage during check-in for "transfer"/"transit" or "short connection" (depending on airline and transfer airport) or in case if status passengers "priority").
This is no guarantee, the baggage assortment at most airports is handled solely by barcodes on the luggage tag (plus sometimes additional stickers that many passengers forget on the luggage after flight and that will then confuse the system in next flight), but the tags should signal to the luggage handlers to load this luggage into a different compartment or container or to offload it onto a separate trailer for connecting flights or for priority delivery at the conveyor belt. Therefore they are usually bright red or orange and that might help to prevent problems in your case. But in case Check-In in DUB is not LH's own, they might not have any badges.

Canadians don't need any visa for the EU, so it should not be a big disadvantage in passport control compared to a British (Non-Schengen) passport. German border control will usually check or scan single every passengers document (regretfully not always equally thorough with German passports), but since this should be efficient it will not be much of a hold-up. Just be politely respectul but not submissive, take your passport out of any cover and don't phone during passport control and you should be through in an instance.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 10:02 am

Many thx again to Frederick123 and PaxCGN. Will see how it goes.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 2:17 am

Hi
I'm flying from Naples to Heathrow with a connection at Düsseldorf. My Naples to Düsseldorf flight is with airberlin and the flight from Düsseldorf to Heathrow is with British Airways. I have an hour and 50 minutes to make the connection. Will I have to collect my baggage at Düsseldorf and recheck in with BA, or will my bags be put straight from the airberlin flight to the BA flight?
Old Jul 25, 2013, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Aaronharvey96
Hi
I'm flying from Naples to Heathrow with a connection at Düsseldorf. My Naples to Düsseldorf flight is with airberlin and the flight from Düsseldorf to Heathrow is with British Airways. I have an hour and 50 minutes to make the connection. Will I have to collect my baggage at Düsseldorf and recheck in with BA, or will my bags be put straight from the airberlin flight to the BA flight?
Assuming it is on one ticket: luggage will be checked through, you need to go to passport control and the time you need to make your connection will be in the range of five minutes....
Old Jul 25, 2013, 11:37 am

Ah that's good! I think it's the same ticket, it was booked as a package flight type thing if that makes sense. Thanks a lot!
Old Jul 26, 2013, 8:39 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond

Both flights should be in terminal B. BA leaves at the end of B where the passport border is.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 4:23 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Exclamation Is a 50-minute connection time in Dusseldorf enough travelling from YYZ to OSL?

Hi,
I'm booking a flight to Oslo from Toronto and I only have a few choices. I'm considering on taking this flight:
Toronto (YYZ) to OSL via Dusseldorf, but the connection time is only 50 minutes. Will this be enough time to catch my flight to Oslo?

Other questions:
1.) Do I need to go through passport/customs check? If so, approximately, how long will it take?
2.) What other security checks do I need to go through?

Also, I'll be flying with Tyrolean/Austrian Airways and I have a Canadian passport.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Last edited by MissMLou; Aug 15, 2013 at 4:29 pm
Old Aug 15, 2013, 7:55 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond

Have to clear immigration at DUS and customs at OSL. Have to go thru security check at DUS.

What are your backup options to OSL if you miss the connection?
Old Aug 15, 2013, 10:00 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
I'll be arriving at 6:00 AM in Dusseldorf and won't need to transfer terminals to catch my connection.

The alternative flight that I can book is via Vienna with only 1 hour of connection time. From the reviews, I read that Vienna airport is as bad as Frankfurt.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 8:17 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

If this is booked via one ticket, which I assume, you do not have to worry if you miss your connection.

And 50 minutes should be doable without much hassle. Usually there is only the ERW DUS flight arriving at the same time and they are considered as safe, so they do not have to do an additional security check.

I would go for Düsseldorf instead of Vienna.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by MissMLou
I'll be arriving at 6:00 AM in Dusseldorf and won't need to transfer terminals to catch my connection.

The alternative flight that I can book is via Vienna with only 1 hour of connection time. From the reviews, I read that Vienna airport is as bad as Frankfurt.
At this time it shoudn´t be a problem. Don´t forget, DUS is relative small.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 3:33 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
BA-AB transfer, DUS or TXL

Have to fly my (aging) mother home from UK-US, and looking at flying her via DUS or TXL on AB to save on ex-LHR taxes.

Therefore this would be two separate tickets, BA and then AB. I realise the risks involved, so please, no lecture here... my query is whether TXL or DUS would be easier for this transfer. I'm quite familiar with TXL and think that would involve a 'terminal' transfer to the AB shed, so my gut instinct is that DUS will be much easier (both ends of the journey will be non-Schengen so guessing gates will be very close), but would appreciate confirmation/thoughts.

Also, does anyone know if BA will throughcheck luggage and issue boarding passes for AB flights?

Thanks
Old Dec 2, 2013, 4:00 pm

Programs: LH FTL, BA Silver, Sixt Platinum, HH Silver
Hi,
AB flights from TXL that go to the US usually go from A00, not Terminal C (the shed). BA comes in at A04 or A05, so that's not far away. But as you know immigration is directly after leaving the plane. I have never done a non-Shengen to non-Shengen connect in TXL, but I read in a newspaper that they bring you to a barren room with a beverage vending machine, which is not what I would recommend for your mother.
After the large fire a few years ago, they built a nice and modern airport in Düsseldorf, which should be the better choice.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA PLT
I would second the recommendation to transfer at DUS. As you know, at TXL, there is virtually nowhere to spend time on the A concourse, so even if she cleared immigration, she would have to walk all the way down the A pier to Boulevard Tegel, and then walk back and clear security/immigration for the flight to the US. DUS, on the other hand, is an easy airside transfer, with plenty of distractions to avail yourself of while waiting for the connection.

BA's through-check policy will allow the bags to be checked all the way to the US:

Baggage will normally be checked to your final destination, provided your journey is on the same ticket. However, if you hold separate tickets for the flights in your journey, we will only through check your baggage to your final destination if the connecting flights are operated by us or by another oneworld airline.
You may want to print a copy of this policy, as there have been reports of agents not following it at LHR.

As far as the AB boarding pass, BA should be able to issue it, but you may have trouble finding someone who is able to do so. As an alternative, check her in online before departing, and have her collect a pass at the AB transfer desk at DUS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.