Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting Flights in Dusseldorf

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2012, 1:41 pm

Programs: BAEC, MM, HH, MB
Hi.

Originally Posted by sandinmyjoints
I'm trying to decide if a 45 minute connection at DUS enroute from ZRH to JFK is possible or not. Our first flight lands at 16:15 and the second one departs at 17:00. This will be in June.
It could work. In June the summer holidays in most states have not been started. 45 minutes is really tight. There is not much buffer for a delay on your ZRH-flight.
If I had to name airport where this is possible it would be MUC and DUS.

The information in this thread has all been very helpful. It sounds as if there is a consensus that if we politely but firmly get ourselves to the front of the queues, we will probably make it. Does anyone have experience with Air Berlin's missed connections policy, in case we don't make it?
I have mostly positive experience if you miss the flight due to a feeder-delay. The rebooked me without problems. I have to say these rebookings were german domestic flights from TXL to DUS. If they have to rebook a TATL-Flight I don't know how they behave.

If you have the chance to get a flight earlier I would consider it.

S.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
No customs, no security. Your will arrive either on a tarmac position or on A84 or so and depart from the A89 or so gates. Doable in 5 to 10 minutes.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 2:00 pm

Connecting flight vis dusseldorf

Hi,

I have a connecting flight from JFK to Nice via Dusseldorf. The layover is 1 hour and im flying air berlin. I am VERY nervous as the next flight to nice is the next day and i cannot afford to miss this flight. What do you suggest?

thanks
Old Feb 22, 2012, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by fly1990
Hi,

I have a connecting flight from JFK to Nice via Dusseldorf. The layover is 1 hour and im flying air berlin. I am VERY nervous as the next flight to nice is the next day and i cannot afford to miss this flight. What do you suggest?

thanks
What do I suggest. Relax. This should be no problem. One hour is more than sufficient in DUS.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 11:24 am

From New York via Air Berlin connecting to Pristine (Kosovo) via German Wings

Hello,

I will be travelling to Kosovo via Dusseldorf in May 2012 and I have a 1:30 connection with checked bags. It appears that Air Berlin (from New York) uses primarily Terminal B while German Wings (to Pristine) seems to use Terminal C. I'm wondering, since both countries are outside of Schengen, will they perhaps be flying through the same terminal? Is this connection advisable?

Thanks!
Seth
Old Mar 30, 2012, 1:28 am

Programs: BAEC, MM, HH, MB
Originally Posted by sethinthebox
Hello,

I will be travelling to Kosovo via Dusseldorf in May 2012 and I have a 1:30 connection with checked bags. It appears that Air Berlin (from New York) uses primarily Terminal B while German Wings (to Pristine) seems to use Terminal C. I'm wondering, since both countries are outside of Schengen, will they perhaps be flying through the same terminal? Is this connection advisable?
Even with a change of the terminal, this connection should be possible as long as your flight has no huge delay.

I looked up todays flights and 4U to Pristina uses Terminal C.

http://www.flughafen-dusseldorf.de/d.../?flugid=33939
4U 5700 Pristina 12:45 C 30

That means you have to clear immigration and security. But this is possible within 90 minutes. I wouldn't worry about that.

S.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 8:38 pm

From New York via Air Berlin connecting to Pristine (Kosovo) via German Wings

Great, thanks for the help!
Old Apr 17, 2012, 6:30 pm

Programs: United 1K, CO Pres Club,AMEX Plat, Nexus
Yyz-dus-lhr

Im on Lufthansa this Saturday from yyz to lhr connecting in dus. I have a 55 minute layover. Canadian passport. Is this enough time for myself and checked luggage to make the connection?

Thanks for any help.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by strategy9
Im on Lufthansa this Saturday from yyz to lhr connecting in dus. I have a 55 minute layover. Canadian passport. Is this enough time for myself and checked luggage to make the connection?

Thanks for any help.
I bet, you will make it in less then 20 minutes...
Old May 1, 2012, 11:32 am

I have kind of the opposite question of many on this thread... I actually have an overnight layover...arriving at 1615 and departing 910 the next day.

I've spent five or so days in Dusseldorf center and parks a couple years back, so I wondered if there was another city/town/village/neighborhood that would be reasonable and interesting for a few hours (even if it's just a good beer garden) with a decent place to stay (I like family 3-star/pensions) near the S-bahn.

As an aside: I'm traveling biz class on AB...if my departure is at 910, when should I arrive?

Thanks much,
Adam
Old May 1, 2012, 2:10 pm

ATL-DUS on Delta Continuing to SOF on Eurowings 2:45 H layover

Hi:

The posts so far have been super informative. I am flying with my wife an 2 small kids (2 and 4) in mid-May 2012 from Atlanta to Dusseldorf arriving at 7:45 am (Terminal C) and then connecting on a Lufthansa Regional flight (operated by Eurowings) to Sofia, Bulgaria at 10:30. So, we have 2 hrs and 45 mins but will need to claim our checked bags, go through customs and then check in at the LH desk at Terminal A.
Delta claims they do not have a baggage agreement with Eurowings and refuses to check our bags all the way through to Sofia.
Could anyone describe what we might encounter? Please give some sequential details of the steps, since my wife is convinced we will miss our connection. I understand that there are 5 or 6 other large international arrivals from various countries at that time and also read that immigration was a "zoo" at 6 am. So, just trying to gauge our realistic chances of success considering we have the kids and need to wait for our bags and then get them checked again at the LH desk no later than 10:00 since they close the checkin process 30 minutes prior to departure.
This is a little lengthy, but seems to have a few extra wrinkles compared to previous posts.

Separate question: Is there any value in using their VIP service?

Thanks in advance!
Old May 1, 2012, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by ATLflyer1
Hi:

The posts so far have been super informative. I am flying with my wife an 2 small kids (2 and 4) in mid-May 2012 from Atlanta to Dusseldorf arriving at 7:45 am (Terminal C) and then connecting on a Lufthansa Regional flight (operated by Eurowings) to Sofia, Bulgaria at 10:30. So, we have 2 hrs and 45 mins but will need to claim our checked bags, go through customs and then check in at the LH desk at Terminal A.
Delta claims they do not have a baggage agreement with Eurowings and refuses to check our bags all the way through to Sofia.
Could anyone describe what we might encounter? Please give some sequential details of the steps, since my wife is convinced we will miss our connection. I understand that there are 5 or 6 other large international arrivals from various countries at that time and also read that immigration was a "zoo" at 6 am. So, just trying to gauge our realistic chances of success considering we have the kids and need to wait for our bags and then get them checked again at the LH desk no later than 10:00 since they close the checkin process 30 minutes prior to departure.
This is a little lengthy, but seems to have a few extra wrinkles compared to previous posts.

Separate question: Is there any value in using their VIP service?

Thanks in advance!
Delta has a baggage agreement with LH and should be able to check your baggage through to Sofia. The Eurowings/LH regional flights are being operated like normal LH-flights. Just check-in online for your LH flight and present your boarding-pass for the LH flight to the Delta-agent when checking in at ATL (assuming it is on two tickets). And just to be safe, also present your baggagetag to the agent at the boarding-gate in DUS. If it is all on one ticket, there should be no problem at all.
Old May 2, 2012, 8:43 am

Rotanes:
This is how I initially thought it would be, but in 2 separate conversations with Delta agents I was told they will not be able to check our bags through to Sofia because the flight is operated by Eurowings and their LH baggage agreement is not applicable. One of those Delta agents even said she checked with a supervisor who confirmed. So, we are forced to deal with claiming our bags and checking them again at the LH desk. This is not going to be a smooth/normal transfer. Has anyone had a similar experience?
Old May 2, 2012, 12:04 pm

I still believe it will be possible, when you actually checkin.

But even in worst case, 2h45m will be more than enough to recheck your baggage in DUS. In this case - if you are NOT a US citizen - you might need a visa to enter the Schengen-area for the re-checkin.

Last edited by rotanes; May 2, 2012 at 12:26 pm
Old May 31, 2012, 10:30 am

Thanks everyone for the replies. As all of you expected, we had no issues at all. Dusseldorf is a very easy airport to navigate. It helped that our first flight arrived on time. The bags were all there before we were able to make it to the carrousel. Passport control and Customs were a breeze. We had more than an hr to spare even with the considerable line to check in on the connecting LH flight and to go through security. While I was having a coffee and a snack, my wife and kids went a level down to check out the giant giraffe statues right in front of Terminal A.
Thanks again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.