Connecting Flights in Dusseldorf

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting Flights in Dusseldorf

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2016, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by FLYGVA
Are this separate tickets and have you checked luggage? If one ticket, than it is the airline fault if you miss it. If on separate tickets and with the need to re-check luggage, that would not work, if hand luggage, it should be doable, but I would not risk it.

FYI I made the connection just fine, but my luggage showed up 2 days later. Evidently the United checking to Eurowings codeshares get screwed up on checkin, so be sure to check the boarding pass and make sure it references teh Eurowings flight number, not just the Lufthansa codeshare.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 4:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Zeko7
My friend, who is Russian citizen, is flying to San Francisco and has to spend 21 hours in Dusseldorf...it is kinda cruel but there is no other choice at this point because it was the cheapest flight that she could afford. I heard from some people that Dusseldorf international transit zone is closing around 9pm....so what the people sitting in this zone should do then? Does anybody know the answer please?
Your friend is going non-Schengen to non-Schengen, which means that no visa will be required. She can stay in the airport, but it won't be a great deal of fun, especially for pretty much a full day. My suggestion, if possible, is to get a visa and get out of the airport and find a cheap hotel near the airport to sleep (and possibly see the city.)
Old Mar 23, 2016, 5:38 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Your friend is going non-Schengen to non-Schengen, which means that no visa will be required. She can stay in the airport, but it won't be a great deal of fun, especially for pretty much a full day. My suggestion, if possible, is to get a visa and get out of the airport and find a cheap hotel near the airport to sleep (and possibly see the city.)
I would be cautious about that. Germany embassy states that, unlike FRA and MUC, transit in DUS can only take place during certain hours and that is why Zeko7 asked the question.

For a Russian national:

Transit - Germany (DE)
Warning:
Passports must be signed by the holder, unless:
1. The issuing country permits a fingerprint instead of a signature; or
2. The passport contains a remark stating that a signature is not required or that the holder cannot sign the passport.

Visa
Visa required.

TWOV (Transit Without Visa):
Holders of onward tickets in transit .
  • A max. transit time of 24 hours through Frankfurt (FRA) or Munich (MUC).
  • On the same day between 04:30 and 23:30 through Hamburg (HAM).
  • On the same day between 04:30 and 23:00 through Cologne/Bonn (CGN).
  • On the same day between 06:00 and 21:00 through Dusseldorf (DUS). Inbound carrier must provide prior notice to authorities in Dusseldorf (DUS) by fax: +49 211 421 20521; tel: +49 211 421 63695 or SITA Telex DUSOVXH.
  • On the same day between 06:00 and 23:00 through Berlin Tegel (TXL), provided connection time is at least 75 minutes. Inbound carrier must provide prior notice to the handling agent at Berlin Tegel (TXL) by fax or SITA Telex and the airport authorities by SITA Telex (TXLVZXH). This must include the passenger's name, itinerary, date, nationality and seat number. The passenger is not permitted to travel with animals carried in the cabin or in the cargo hold (AVIH).
I don't see an exemption for holding a US visa.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 2:17 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Aeroflot and Air Berlin seem to have an interline agreement. So would CUN - DUS - SVO on AB and SU be difficult with a 3 hour connection from 7am - 10am? Ideally bags would go through all the way to SVO from CUN, right?

Also this is for a Russian passport holder who does not currently have any transit visa and these are two seperate tickets CUN - DUS being a British Airways award ticket on AirBerlin and DUS - SVO being a paid Aeroflot ticket.

If for some reason AirBerlin can't check the bags all the way to Moscow how would this person retrieve bags and re check in with Aeroflot?

Last edited by beofotch; Apr 14, 2016 at 6:47 pm
Old Apr 15, 2016, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by beofotch
Aeroflot and Air Berlin seem to have an interline agreement. So would CUN - DUS - SVO on AB and SU be difficult with a 3 hour connection from 7am - 10am? Ideally bags would go through all the way to SVO from CUN, right?

Also this is for a Russian passport holder who does not currently have any transit visa and these are two seperate tickets CUN - DUS being a British Airways award ticket on AirBerlin and DUS - SVO being a paid Aeroflot ticket.

If for some reason AirBerlin can't check the bags all the way to Moscow how would this person retrieve bags and re check in with Aeroflot?
3 hours aren´t a problem, but without a visa and bags checked through I doubt it´s possible.
Old May 26, 2016, 10:03 am

AB > 4U with 1 too-many carry-ons?

So, here's a DUS connection question that doesn't include "do I have enough time?"

I'm arriving on AB from the States. My DUS-HAM-BUD flight on 4U is scheduled to depart 1:25 after the scheduled arrival of the AB flight. (Note: I do have a Plan B if the AB flight is late and I miss the 4U flight.)

I'm flying business on AB and will bring the 2 carry-ons to which I am entitled. However, on the 4U flight, I am entitled to only 1 carry-on. I will check in for the 4U flights the previous day and will have boarding passes.

So, assuming AB is reasonably on-time, which course of action would you suggest:

- Exit the transit area and go to the 4U check-in desk or bag-drop area

- Go directly to the 4U departure gate (after immigration of course)

- Something else?
Old May 27, 2016, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by wideman
So, here's a DUS connection question that doesn't include "do I have enough time?"

I'm arriving on AB from the States. My DUS-HAM-BUD flight on 4U is scheduled to depart 1:25 after the scheduled arrival of the AB flight. (Note: I do have a Plan B if the AB flight is late and I miss the 4U flight.)

I'm flying business on AB and will bring the 2 carry-ons to which I am entitled. However, on the 4U flight, I am entitled to only 1 carry-on. I will check in for the 4U flights the previous day and will have boarding passes.

So, assuming AB is reasonably on-time, which course of action would you suggest:

- Exit the transit area and go to the 4U check-in desk or bag-drop area

- Go directly to the 4U departure gate (after immigration of course)

- Something else?
Sure they only allow 1 carry on? If you fly on Flex-Tarif (should be the same if second leg after Business) you are allowed to take 2 carry ons. Would try and explain in doubt, that you are connecting from a Business flight.
Old May 27, 2016, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by offerendum
Sure they only allow 1 carry on? If you fly on Flex-Tarif (should be the same if second leg after Business) you are allowed to take 2 carry ons. Would try and explain in doubt, that you are connecting from a Business flight.
On the 4U flight (separate ticket from the AB business flight), I'm on an inexpensive, non-Flex fare, and the 4U website says 1 item of hand luggage.

(My AB ticket is an award ticket BOS-DUS-TXL-BUD. However, the TXL-BUD segment doesn't arrive until 6.30pm, and I'm hoping to get to BUD on the much earlier (11.30am) 4U flights. Thus, my Plan B if I miss the 4U flight in DUS, is to take the AB flight to TXL, spend the afternoon in Berlin, then eventually get to Budapest in the evening.)
Old May 30, 2016, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by beofotch

This appears to be difficult without a Visa. I would check with the airline well before. SU and AB arrive/depart from different piers. This might be another issue if travelling on two tickets.
Old May 30, 2016, 8:27 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Forget the luggage, agent at CUN should not be checking in passenger to begin with given lack of visa for Germany.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 1:56 am

Hi,

I'll be making a connection at DUS in a few days. I have difficulty walking long distances but I'd rather avoid wheek chairs. I'm arriving at terminal C (Bulgaria Air) and departing from terminal B (WOW Air). I'll have to go through passport control, collect my luggage and than recheck it for the next flight. Could someone tell me the distance I would have to cover on foot?
Old Jul 9, 2016, 3:05 am

London Heathrow-Dussendolf-Lamezia Italy

hi
i will fly Eurowings from London Heathrow to Dusseldorf then to Lamezia Italy with Eurowings again. between landing and departure in Dusseldorf i have 55 minutes is it enough? What i am not sure is: the flight from London shows to arrive at gate A90,so it means it arrives at terminal A where my second flight departure is gate A77. However others people say that the flight will stop on the tarmac and we need to get a bus. there is no much information on eurowings website. we are on one ticket so if we miss the connection i assume that eurowings will help us? please can anyone clarify if the first flight will go to gate A90? i looked at Dusseldorf airport map and cant see A90 gate. also is 55 minutes enough.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by mariop1
hi
i will fly Eurowings from London Heathrow to Dusseldorf then to Lamezia Italy with Eurowings again. between landing and departure in Dusseldorf i have 55 minutes is it enough? What i am not sure is: the flight from London shows to arrive at gate A90,so it means it arrives at terminal A where my second flight departure is gate A77. However others people say that the flight will stop on the tarmac and we need to get a bus. there is no much information on eurowings website. we are on one ticket so if we miss the connection i assume that eurowings will help us? please can anyone clarify if the first flight will go to gate A90? i looked at Dusseldorf airport map and cant see A90 gate. also is 55 minutes enough.
No problem, enough time. If you miss the flight Eurowings has to help you, but normally it won´t happen
Old Jul 9, 2016, 7:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
If it's on one ticket you'll be fine. There is no certainty that you'll have an apron position.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 10:11 am

hi
I hope that eurowings will help because im with 2 children. im on one ticket. so no body knows if the flight goes to A90 gate? because looking at the terminal map, there is a area in terminal A that is not for schengen passanger, so i suppose that gate A90 should be there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.