Wiki Posts
Search

Getting to Hilton Munich City

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2010, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: USAirways CP
Getting to Hilton Munich City

If I'm arriving at Frankfurt airport and take a train to Munich's main train station, do I then need to switch to the subway to get to this hotel (located at the Rosenheimer Platz)?

The hotel web site mentions something about a suburban train (S8). Do they really mean subway (well at least in my eyes )?

I'm guessing subway is the most efficient/cheapest way to get there? Any good estimates on what a taxi would cost? Estimated arrival time in Munich will be in the mid afternoon (1500).

(This will be our first stop after a long flight, PHX-IAH-FRA, so I'm trying to get as organized as possible since my brain seldom works after all that jet lag.)

Thanks
Rich
Old Nov 24, 2010, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Take the suburban (S) Bahn. Munich has a subway (U-Bahn) and a suburban train network (S-Bahn), which runs below surface in downtown areas too.

Jut follow the green S-Bahn signs and take any train going in the direction of München-Ost (Munich East) or Marienplatz. Trains depart every two minutes or so. Four stops and you are there. The hotel is directly on top of the station. You simply take the elevator going up from the platform against the direction of travel and turn to the right.

http://www.mvv-muenchen.de/web4archi...nnetz_2010.pdf

Taxi won't be quicker.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 11:51 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Hello

I'm actually on my way there, I emailed the hotel and this is what they told me:
from the Station to reach the Hotel you can take the S BAHN (S1 to S8) direction OST BAHNHOF there are 4 station and it'll take about 14 minuts to reach us. Also you can take a taxi wich take 15.minuts and cost about 17.-€.

I'm currently in DFW wating for my FRA fligth
Old Nov 24, 2010, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by arollins
I'm actually on my way there, I emailed the hotel and this is what they told me:
from the Station to reach the Hotel you can take the S BAHN (S1 to S8) direction OST BAHNHOF there are 4 station and it'll take about 14 minuts to reach us. Also you can take a taxi wich take 15.minuts and cost about 17.-€.

I'm currently in DFW wating for my FRA fligth
They obviously never took the S-Bahn themselves. Travel time is six to seven minutes and not 14. It will take you a total of 15 minutes from the platform of your long distance train to the check-in area of the hotel. Ticket is either included in your long distance train ticket (if this ticket simply says München) or from the vending machine (You want either a Dayticket Innenraum good for the full day for 5,40 for one person or 9,80 for two persons or a single ticket for "1 Tarifzone" for 2,50 per person)
Old Nov 24, 2010, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. ^
I'll be arriving on the 3rd (Dec).
Old Dec 24, 2010, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Just as a follow up the Hilton was nice. For some reason we had access to the executive lounge and it was nice to get some free drinks, snacks and breakfast.

The room was nice. The only negative was that the seam in the wall paper about 4-5 foot up the wall was coming off the wall. Kind of unsightly for such a nice room but it wasn't a big deal to me.

The S-bahn was easy to navigate. Finding the elevator up to the Hilton proved tricky to us. We also had an adventure in figuring out how to buy a tram ticket when we ventured out to the Nymphenburg Palace. Didn't realize they could be purchased at the same places as train tickets.

Anyhow we had a great time and the snow didn't mess up anything for us.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 4:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, CO Plat, UA 1P, FB Plat, Marriott PLT, PC Plat, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold, Nat'l Exec
Thanks for the review; I'm considering staying there next month (or at the Hilton Munich Garden hotel).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.