Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Trip to Germany

Trip to Germany

Old Dec 30, 2010, 10:24 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AMEX Plat, AA EXP, DL Diamond Medallion, US, B6, SPG Gold,Marriott Gold,Hilton Gold,Starbucks Gold
Trip to Germany

How bad would a trip to Germany be in March? I'd fly into Frankfurt. Anyone that has been several times throughout different seasons assist? I know the weather there is unpredictable but would it be at least 30 degrees F and higher in March? If so, what are things are there to do during this time of the year?
Old Dec 30, 2010, 11:47 pm

I suggest you use websites like tripadvisor (or the appropriate forums here) and the typical weather sites to find more answers to your questions than you ever want to read.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 12:55 am

Programs: US CP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, *wood Gold, Amex Plat
I have traveled to Frankfurt for work at all seasons so can address the weather question at least. If you are referring to high temps, it would be extremely unusual for it to be below freezing during the day in March. My memory is that temps are typically in the neighborhood of 45-50 at that time. By April, the weather is always very spring-like. I think that lows might dip below freezing in the middle of the night, but I'd say that the March weather is similar to a northeastern US city like PHL.

I'm not much help on tourist activities unless you need advice on meals or beer. You would probably be better off to ask this question on a different forum.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 6:20 am

MikeLaw is correct about the weather. As far as what to do there are plenty of places to visit year around. Are you planning on staying in FRA? Also will you have a car or will you be using public transport?
Old Dec 31, 2010, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
I've been in Germany for each month of the year. You will not find springlike weather in March, and even the possibility of a light snow shower. But for the most part, the daytime weather should be above 0 degrees Fahrenheit. Also, keep in mind that starting tomorrow, all long haul departures out of Germany will have an approximately $60 tax (coded "OY") added to their tickets. They have to pay down their budget deficit afterall. So it might be cheaper to fly out of BRU, AMS, or ZRH on the return (even with the cost of the train ticket added onto it). In fact, flying out of FRA to the U.S. will now have 4-times the amount of total tax as flying out of MAD or BCN to the U.S. Approximately $120 vs. $30. Enjoy.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 7:43 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
As this really doesn't have much to do with the US Airways forum, I'm moving this thread to the Flyertalk Germany Forum.

Thanks!

--aztimm
Moderator, US Airways.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 1:22 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AMEX Plat, AA EXP, DL Diamond Medallion, US, B6, SPG Gold,Marriott Gold,Hilton Gold,Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by tahitigirl
MikeLaw is correct about the weather. As far as what to do there are plenty of places to visit year around. Are you planning on staying in FRA? Also will you have a car or will you be using public transport?
For car rental, the answer is yes. I would like to stay in FRA for a couple of days, drive to Hamburg > Berlin > Szczecin, Poland and fly out from near there or Wroclaw.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 1:50 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
I'd recommend spending 2 or 3 days in Berlin their is a lot to do there. I spent 20 Hours there and their was a lot to see.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 2:23 am

And check your dates to see if they cover the period of the start of Lent - as Germans love celebrating Carnival - as Easter falls very late this year. Carnival can be great fun but transport systems can be busy and hotels fill up fast.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by Alsacienne
Carnival can be great fun
Only if you love to see drunk people singing strange songs
Old Jan 2, 2011, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by saschaa
Only if you love to see drunk people singing strange songs
It is not anything stranger than Hofbruhaus, Oktoberfest in Munich, or even worse in Miami or Milwaukee.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by krpjr
For car rental, the answer is yes. I would like to stay in FRA for a couple of days, drive to Hamburg > Berlin > Szczecin, Poland and fly out from near there or Wroclaw.
This will cost you an arm and a leg in car rental fees. There is a hefty surcharge if you rent a car in one country and return it in another.

Also, in larger European towns (and that certainly includes Frankfurt, Hamburg and Berlin) a car is more of a hindrance than a help.

Doing the journey by train would save both money and hassle.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 11:00 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
It is not anything stranger than Hofbruhaus, Oktoberfest in Munich, or even worse in Miami or Milwaukee.
No, but it is not as contained as the Hofbruhaus, either. I have spent Rosenmontag in Mainz(where Carnival is very big) two times and there were very big crowds in the historic center with many drunken (but friendly) people. It wasn't a horrible experience by any means, but if you were looking for a more peaceful or sober environment, you would be disappointed.

I haven't been in Munich at Oktoberfest time, so I don't know how much of the festivities strays away from the Oktoberfest venue.

edited to add: Rosenmontag is the Monday before Ash Wednesday and the biggest Carnival day in Mainz. This year it is March 7, 2011.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by You want to go where?
No, but it is not as contained as the Hofbruhaus, either. I have spent Rosenmontag in Mainz(where Carnival is very big) two times and there were very big crowds in the historic center with many drunken (but friendly) people. It wasn't a horrible experience by any means, but if you were looking for a more peaceful or sober environment, you would be disappointed.

I haven't been in Munich at Oktoberfest time, so I don't know how much of the festivities strays away from the Oktoberfest venue.

edited to add: Rosenmontag is the Monday before Ash Wednesday and the biggest Carnival day in Mainz. This year it is March 7, 2011.
And they have events on Sunday as well in Mainz. Was there last year and in 2008.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by krpjr
Aviatrix is correct ... it can be very expensive. Next, it is not easy to find a rental company that will rent you a car to go to Poland.

http://www.thenews.pl/business/artyk...h-thieves.html

.... According to police, Polish thieves stole mainly Volkswagen Passat and Golf - over 3,000 of them, in fact, Audi A4 and A6 - almost 1,000 - then Skoda Oktavia and Toyota Corolla.....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.