Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rail ticket valid on DUS skytrain?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2016, 10:38 am

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by seawolf
No staffed counter in DUS for S-bahn. It's basically a train platform under the airport with ticket machines to buy tickets.
Thanks for the info. We'll just buy tickets for the skytrain and activate the pass at the rail station.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by chiefkays
Backup plan is to pay the Skytrain fare and activate the pass at the Düsseldorf Flughafen.
My $0.02: take the S11 to Düsseldorf Hbf and get your pass activated there.

(EDIT: having said that, there is a DB Reisezentrum presence at the airport - see http://www.vrr.de/de/service/kundenc...041/index.html - so it might be worth asking there)
Old Oct 19, 2016, 9:56 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by shorthauldad
My $0.02: take the S11 to Düsseldorf Hbf and get your pass activated there.

(EDIT: having said that, there is a DB Reisezentrum presence at the airport - see http://www.vrr.de/de/service/kundenc...041/index.html - so it might be worth asking there)
I do Dusseldorf Airport - Cologne regularly, although not as often as in the past.

It's very comfy to take the RB/RE trains to Cologne and pay the few euros for 1st class supplement. Or the IC/ICE with much lower frequency and also ok in 2nd class for the short journey.

So, with luggage, I'd bite the bullet, pay the Skytrain fare and enjoy the people movers down to the platform at DUS instead of a much more cumbersome transfer at Ddorf Hbf.

Btw, lately both Ddorf and Cologne Hbf have gained some notoriety due to gangs of North African aggressive thieves so better have an eye on your belongings there.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by mosburger
I do Dusseldorf Airport - Cologne regularly, although not as often as in the past.

It's very comfy to take the RB/RE trains to Cologne and pay the few euros for 1st class supplement. Or the IC/ICE with much lower frequency and also ok in 2nd class for the short journey.

So, with luggage, I'd bite the bullet, pay the Skytrain fare and enjoy the people movers down to the platform at DUS instead of a much more cumbersome transfer at Ddorf Hbf.

Btw, lately both Ddorf and Cologne Hbf have gained some notoriety due to gangs of North African aggressive thieves so better have an eye on your belongings there.
Thanks for the tips. I hadn't heard about the increase in theft and just read about the violence over last New Year's. We're staying in both Cologne and Dusseldorf over the course of the trip. We'll be at the ibis at the station in both cities. So I'll make sure to be super careful when walking around with bags.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 9:20 am

Thanks for the tips. I hadn't heard about the increase in theft and just read about the violence over last New Year's. We're staying in both Cologne and Dusseldorf over the course of the trip. We'll be at the ibis at the station in both cities. So I'll make sure to be super careful when walking around with bags.
Security has improved somewhat but from what I've heard from friends there is still theft and sexual harassment of women conducted by these North African gangs in the Cologne/Dusseldorf main station areas.

At Dusseldorf, where I last stayed at the IBIS this June, the immediate surroundings of the station are rather seedy with drug addicts, said gangs etc.

Better head over to the Immermannstrasse for some laid back German/European and Japanese (typical for Dusseldorf) restaurants and also the very nice butcher shop "Metzgerei Schmalzried" on the Oststrasse and near the crossing with Immermannstrasse.

Really tasty German sandwiches/rolls to be had with all imaginable meaty pork, beef and chicken delights. Local cops shop for their sandwiches here as a sign of quality...

In Cologne, apart from the Koelsch breweries, the best budget restaurant IMHO near the railway station is the "Weinhaus Vogel" at Eigelstein where I could eat every day just because of the atmosphere and customers. Lots of German fine wines also offered at reasonable prices and of course local beers too.

Another choice would be the Turkish restaurants at Weidengasse near Eigelstein. During the same trip in June had a perfect Adana Kebab skewer in a durum roll there while watching the lively street. You get a full offering of Turkish cuisine from humble soups to multi course menus in the various restaurants and fast food joints.

Wish you a nice trip to my German favourite cities.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 12:02 pm

Never felt uncomfortable around either places you mention
Old Oct 20, 2016, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by mosburger
Security has improved somewhat but from what I've heard from friends there is still theft and sexual harassment of women conducted by these North African gangs in the Cologne/Dusseldorf main station areas.

At Dusseldorf, where I last stayed at the IBIS this June, the immediate surroundings of the station are rather seedy with drug addicts, said gangs etc.

Better head over to the Immermannstrasse for some laid back German/European and Japanese (typical for Dusseldorf) restaurants and also the very nice butcher shop "Metzgerei Schmalzried" on the Oststrasse and near the crossing with Immermannstrasse.

Really tasty German sandwiches/rolls to be had with all imaginable meaty pork, beef and chicken delights. Local cops shop for their sandwiches here as a sign of quality...

In Cologne, apart from the Koelsch breweries, the best budget restaurant IMHO near the railway station is the "Weinhaus Vogel" at Eigelstein where I could eat every day just because of the atmosphere and customers. Lots of German fine wines also offered at reasonable prices and of course local beers too.

Another choice would be the Turkish restaurants at Weidengasse near Eigelstein. During the same trip in June had a perfect Adana Kebab skewer in a durum roll there while watching the lively street. You get a full offering of Turkish cuisine from humble soups to multi course menus in the various restaurants and fast food joints.

Wish you a nice trip to my German favourite cities.
Thanks for the food tips!

As to safety issues, my friend and I are both mid-30s women, so I imagine we will look like easy targets to potential bad guys. As a coincidence, we're coming to Cologne on Nov 10th, the day before the big Carnival opening excitement. We were hoping to hang out and enjoy the festivities. We're not clueless tourists or looking to party like crazy, so hopefully taking some precautions and being aware of surroundings will be enough to keep us safe and happy on the trip.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by jt82
It's all relative. The area around Cologne Hbf was the sketchiest I encountered in all of Germany, and I did keep a close eye on my wallet. But Germany is a pretty safe country so that's not saying much. I encounter more addicts on my daily commute at home than I did in the whole city of Cologne.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 4:27 am

Thanks for the food tips!

As to safety issues, my friend and I are both mid-30s women, so I imagine we will look like easy targets to potential bad guys. As a coincidence, we're coming to Cologne on Nov 10th, the day before the big Carnival opening excitement. We were hoping to hang out and enjoy the festivities. We're not clueless tourists or looking to party like crazy, so hopefully taking some precautions and being aware of surroundings will be enough to keep us safe and happy on the trip.
There will be festivities all over beginning at 11:11 am on November 11th. The old town in Cologne is the center then, but very packed so you can also enjoy on the sidelines.

I did not encounter any difficulties myself (tall male) last time but friends have told me that those North African guys have f.ex harassed their daughters etc. so some caution won't be misplaced.

They normally operate in packs and try to pin down their victims in some remote corner, escalators, lifts etc. Professional petty criminals & drug dealers with an organized structure.

Last edited by mosburger; Oct 22, 2016 at 12:00 pm
Old Oct 26, 2016, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by jt82
Agreed. Compared to comparable cities in the US it is a breeze. I transit through DUS central every day I am in the office and the stories about constant problems with gangs are nothing but urban myths.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Agreed. Compared to comparable cities in the US it is a breeze. I transit through DUS central every day I am in the office and the stories about constant problems with gangs are nothing but urban myths.
I have to agree. A myth in my eyes.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 1:08 pm

I have bought a rail ticket from Brussels to Dusseldorf Flughafen which includes an ICE train Brussels to Cologne and a Regionalbahn train Cologne to Dusseldorf Flughafen. Can I board the SkyTrain for free using the last part of my rail ticket (Regionalbahn)?
Old Mar 4, 2017, 2:09 am

Originally Posted by siemensc60
I have bought a rail ticket from Brussels to Dusseldorf Flughafen which includes an ICE train Brussels to Cologne and a Regionalbahn train Cologne to Dusseldorf Flughafen. Can I board the SkyTrain for free using the last part of my rail ticket (Regionalbahn)?
check what it says on your ticket e.g. City Plus
https://www.dus.com/en/arrival-and-departure/skytrain
from the DUS website:The following tickets are accepted for the SkyTrain:
valid VRR and VRS tickets
special DB tickets, such as City plus, NRW-, Schöne-Reise-, Schöne-Fahrt- and the Schöner-Tag ticket
Flughafen Düsseldorf GmbH and "Parkvogel" (a brand of SITA Airport IT GmbH)car park tickets for up to 9 persons
Tickets for the observation deck at Düsseldorf Airport (Terminal B) on the day of us-------------
All passengers who are not in possession of one of these tickets must buy a ticket at the short journey fare before travelling on the SkyTrain (or substitute bus service). Ticket vending machines can be found at the stations. The fares and terms & conditions of carriage of the Verkehrsverbundes Rhein-Ruhr (VRR) apply when using the SkyTrain.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 9:38 am

The rail ticket was issued by the SNCB (Belgium Rail Company). In particular it says:
Brux-Mi 08:24 ICE13/K-Hbf*NV which means that I have to use the ICE13 service leaving Brussels Midi to Cologne Station and then take a connection to Dusseldorf. I was thinking if it would be possible to change at Dusseldorf Hbf and take the S-service to Dusseldorf Airport Terminals.

Last edited by siemensc60; Mar 4, 2017 at 9:46 am
Old Mar 5, 2017, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
You can use the SBahn to the Terminal Station getting you right into the terminal. Officially you can't use the Skytrain as your ticket is good for Deutsche Bahn. If you arrive at the mainline station in the airport you officilly need a ticket "K" for the Skytrain.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.