Community
Wiki Posts
Search

5 h layover in DUS - what to do (?)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2014, 6:55 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
Originally Posted by bruce80
Why get a hotel when you only intend to use it as a means to store your baggage? There's a left baggage service somewhere in the car park directly opposite the main terminal, and if you intend to go downtown, you might even consider using the luggage lockers at Düsseldorf Central Station (which would obviously require to carry your belongings to the trains which is not as convenient but may be cheaper than using the airport's baggage service).
We could do that also. Was thinking we might feel like a shower also.

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
I have found the Sheraton at DUS very convenient as it is located directly at the terminal.
I found that after posting and noticed they have a day rate around $100. Probably what I will end up doing as that gives us a chance to shower and change clothes if we want, which the more I think about it we will since it will have been a long day at that point. Hopefully we can sleep on the flight over from JFK.

Then we will need to decide what to do. I am thinking just find a place to see a couple sites and find a good German meal with a couple good beers.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ksucats
We could do that also. Was thinking we might feel like a shower also.

I found that after posting and noticed they have a day rate around $100. Probably what I will end up doing as that gives us a chance to shower and change clothes if we want, which the more I think about it we will since it will have been a long day at that point. Hopefully we can sleep on the flight over from JFK.

Then we will need to decide what to do. I am thinking just find a place to see a couple sites and find a good German meal with a couple good beers.
Lots of places in the centre that will meet that criteria particularly near the river in the old town (Altstadt) and you can easily and very inexpensively take the train into the centre. I think your dayroom decision is a good one if you are with children as well. Enjoy DUS- I think it is a great city. By the way if you like Japanese food DUS is one of the very best places outside of Tokyo in the world for Japanese in my opinion and the area is located directly in front of the HbF.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 7:32 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Lots of places in the centre that will meet that criteria particularly near the river in the old town (Altstadt) and you can easily and very inexpensively take the train into the centre. I think your dayroom decision is a good one if you are with children as well. Enjoy DUS- I think it is a great city. By the way if you like Japanese food DUS is one of the very best places outside of Tokyo in the world for Japanese in my opinion and the area is located directly in front of the HbF.
Thank you. Sounds like we have a good plan for this day. My family and I love Japanese food, but I will be sure not to tell them about it. I am also a big fan of German food and they are not. I am of German descent, so since this may be the only time I step food in Germany I had better find something German.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ksucats
Thank you. Sounds like we have a good plan for this day. My family and I love Japanese food, but I will be sure not to tell them about it. I am also a big fan of German food and they are not. I am of German descent, so since this may be the only time I step food in Germany I had better find something German.
If you want to see an in-depth in English language discussion on Ramen in DUS- just check out this thread on "the battle of the Ramen empires":

http://www.neverhere.info/2013/10/th....ydT1Jt70.dpbs
Old Apr 17, 2015, 7:51 pm

Programs: CX GR; AA Life GLD, EXP; SPG Life GLD, PLT
Dear All,

I will be arriving 0715 departing 1320 both on CX, no luggage. Given the immigration and custom, Sky train and tram time, is it still worth to go to the old town? Is it too early to go there? (Previous poster is an afternoon layover).

Thanks!
Old Apr 18, 2015, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by HK-UMICH
Dear All,

I will be arriving 0715 departing 1320 both on CX, no luggage. Given the immigration and custom, Sky train and tram time, is it still worth to go to the old town? Is it too early to go there? (Previous poster is an afternoon layover).

Thanks!
Itīs possible. Is it worth it? I think it is at least better than staying at the airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.