Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

6:30AM flight out of MUC, where should I stay the night before?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2010, 12:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond, CX MPC Silver, DL Gold Medallion, SPG Gold, HHonors

I have an early flight out of MUC at 6:30AM (connects at CDG to YUL), where should I stay the night before (staying in munich center or closer to the airport)? Do I need to check in 2 hours ahead (i.e. at airport by 4:30AM)?

Since train service doesn't start that early in the morning, should I just stay overnight at the airport?
Old Feb 28, 2010, 1:31 am

Programs: LH SEN
The first S-Bahn train of the S8 line departs e.g. the central station at 3.15 arriving at the airport at 3.55. From then on it goes every 20 minutes.
http://www.mvv-muenchen.de/en/home/index.html

You could also checkin the evening before so in the morning all you have to do is pass security with your carryon and go to the gate. Or have breakfast in the lounge.

Good luck and have a good flight!
Old Feb 28, 2010, 1:39 am

Programs: LH SEN, Eurobonus silver BA bronze Sixt Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle Amex Centurion
Overnight MUC

Hi, I assume You do not live in Munich? If You do, even if public transport do not work in the morning a taxi would take You there cheaper than a hotel night.
If You do want to be close to the airport and have a good nights sleep Airport Hotel Regent have good rooms, a good restaurant and serves breakfast early. They will transport You to the airport and pick You up as well if You indeed transfer. It has got mixed reviews on tripadvisor but I was VERY pleased with my suite, the food and the service.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 2:05 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Why do you need to check-in so early? As you will find on this page the deadline for check-in is 40 mins in Economy and 30 mins for Business and First Class passengers assuming you are flying on LH. The deadline for baggage drop is 30 mins.

You can also check-in online or from a mobile phone 23 hours before departure.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 4:23 am

Programs: LH HON
I have stayed many times at the Kempinski MUC Airport. A very good choice with only 3 Min. walk to the check-in area.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Another vote for the Kempinski. (a bit pricy though)
Old Feb 28, 2010, 5:02 am

Besides the Kempinski there are some other "near-Airport" Hotels eg. the Shearton in Schwaig and a Holiday Inn Express, also in Schwaig, which is 3km or 5 minutes from the Airport. They offer a shuttle service to the airport. Could be an option if Kempinski is too expensive.....

As you are flying to CDG first, it should be fine if you are at the airport 1h before (check-in closing time has been mentioned in this thread)
Old Feb 28, 2010, 10:46 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, IHG Plat., former LH HON (now Silver), Bonvoy Titanium
Kempinski
Old Mar 1, 2010, 1:04 am

Programs: LH, KLM, BA
Also a vote for Kempinski for ease and 2nd vote for Sheraton.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 3:23 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
As thread does not specifically deal with M&M and/or the M&M integrated airlines I'll move this thread to the Germany forum but will keep a redirect in the M&M forum.

Have a nice day

totti
M&M moderator
Old Mar 1, 2010, 4:02 am

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
I would definitely try to the use the Lufthansa Late Night Check-In service the evening before (available from 18:00 to 21:00 at MUC). You would already have your boarding pass in hand and your luggage (if any) taken care of, allowing yourself some valuable extra sleep time on the day of flight.

Details here:

http://www.lufthansa.com/online/port...ght%20check-in
Old Mar 1, 2010, 9:43 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
I recently flew MUC - FRA - YYZ starting with a departure from MUC at 07h00. I stayed at the Sheraton airport hotel which was fine, but was further from the airport than I expected. If I had to do it again, I'd stay at the Kempinski.

The S8 (or S1) train from the central train station (Hauptbahnhoff) is quick and easy but it does take that little bit extra time. For simplicity I really would just stay at the Kempinski for one night. You can have fun in downtown MUC the night before then take the train to the airport where your room will be a few steps from the check-in area.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 11:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond, CX MPC Silver, DL Gold Medallion, SPG Gold, HHonors
Thanks again for all the great comments.

Are we allowed to stay overnight at the airport? How about staying in post security area?
Old Mar 2, 2010, 3:02 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by seasonpraises
Thanks again for all the great comments.

Are we allowed to stay overnight at the airport? How about staying in post security area?
This might help http://www.sleepinginairports.net/europe/munich.htm
Old Mar 2, 2010, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
If considering an airport-adjacent hotel with shuttle service, be sure to verify the operating hours of the shuttle. Some hotels contract the shuttle service out, and those outside vendors don't always start up very early in the morning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.