Reload this Page >

Things to buy in Germany - unavailable in the USA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Things to buy in Germany - unavailable in the USA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2010, 7:00 pm

But isn't that the point of this thread? Those of us who don't want to encounter additives, transfat, MSG, or other surprises in food familiar to us will stock up before going to America. I always have at least one jar of vegetarian broth in my suitcase because I am sometimes in parts of the world where I am not always able to access things that readily. (And no, I don't mean America, but at least I know that it is something I can eat, unlike the American version) I will also sometimes bring along Maggi noodles - the ones made primarily for the Indian market but sold in Canada, Australia, and elsewhere.

I have been told in past that the formulation is often different to meet the expectations of the American palate. That often means adding more salt, or MSG, or other items to increase the flavour.

For some of us that may just mean that the foods taste different, but for others it can mean health risks.

Bahlsen and other manufacturers including Ferrero had different formulations a few decades ago for the Austrian market than in the German market.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 8:26 pm

A warning to the egg smugglers amongst us! The US government may be on to us. A colleague told me that his eggs arrived opened, toy removed, with a letter outlining the information below. I have mailed many an egg from Germany over the years - I am not scared to admit it!

http://www.canada.com/life/Kinder+Su...187/story.html

OTTAWA — U.S. authorities are urging Canadians to stop sending Kinder Surprise chocolate eggs to that country as gifts this holiday season because of a long-standing ban on the product south of the border.

A spokesman for U.S. Customs and Border Protection says officers noticed a spike in the lead up to Christmas this year, so are hoping the alert will reach Canadians who don't know the ubiquitous product in Canada is actually banned in the U.S.

"It's mostly personal amounts going down as a gift," Chris Misson, a spokesman for U.S. Customs, said Thursday. "This is an informational thing to make people are aware that they don't lose the Kinder eggs at the border."

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission determined years ago the product did not meet the small-parts requirement for toys for children under the age of three, creating a choking and aspiration hazard in young kids.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 3:01 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat by proxy, Sephora VIB, I have a low AA FF#...
Originally Posted by exbayern
A warning to the egg smugglers amongst us! The US government may be on to us. A colleague told me that his eggs arrived opened, toy removed, with a letter outlining the information below. I have mailed many an egg from Germany over the years - I am not scared to admit it!

They're banned here? How come I can buy them every day? I'm going to have to start up a stash in my freezer, even though I don't like them.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 8:30 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
Originally Posted by longwaybackhome
They're banned here? How come I can buy them every day? I'm going to have to start up a stash in my freezer, even though I don't like them.
The German ones with the very small bits in them are.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K

Originally Posted by longwaybackhome
Originally Posted by tom tulpe
Indeed - I have a friend who had some confiscated at EWR.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 11:47 am

Several report seizures, or boxes opened and eggs removed here. http://blogs.consumerreports.org/saf...nder-eggs.html

Happened to someone I know - children's Freßpaket opened, eggs cracked open and toys removed.

Reminded me of what used to happen decades ago when we sent packages to the Ostzone.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 7:47 pm

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Now we know what these TSA, customs whatever guys do all day.

But we better keep them playing with that stuff then being in our face about nothing all day :-)
Old Feb 4, 2010, 12:58 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat by proxy, Sephora VIB, I have a low AA FF#...
Originally Posted by tom tulpe
Holy bleep, I keep completely skipping over words on this board.

But I still want to smuggle eggs into the country.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 10:29 am

Programs: LH, HH, PC
Maybe they should watch german commercials to know what's inside an egg.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 4:44 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by hann
Super Werbung ^
Old Mar 7, 2010, 4:47 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
This is a great thread - not sure how I missed it earlier.

I always purchase shampoo and conditioner from La Biosthetique, available in many salons in Austria and Germany.

In past years, I have purchased accessories and parts for BMWs that were not then available in the U.S. I recall bringing back a rear Jalousie for my 3er that one simply couldn´t get in the States.

Although I´m Austrian and grew up in N.Y., I attended Uni in München so I became accustomed to some German items as well.

There is a market called Euro Mart in Astoria and they have a super selection of imported Bier - including Gösser and many German brands. Even Whole Foods has Spaten. Of course, these are not Reinheitsgebot friendly.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Several report seizures, or boxes opened and eggs removed here. http://blogs.consumerreports.org/saf...nder-eggs.html

Happened to someone I know - children's Freßpaket opened, eggs cracked open and toys removed.

Reminded me of what used to happen decades ago when we sent packages to the Ostzone.
Yes, but the US don't take the eggs away because they are in lack of nice sweets.

I think I said it before but I will always remember the signature of a forum member (not here) that read: "The US could get rid of its problem by simply taking the warning labels off the products."

Till
Old Mar 7, 2010, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by hann

The Canadians are in on the illegal handling ... Flew from Canada to the US recently and was in the duty free shop in the US preclearance area ie from there one can ONLY go to the US.

What was for sale in the duty free for travellers to bring to the US? Yes, you guessed it!!!
Old Mar 7, 2010, 11:46 pm
Original Poster

That's a really subversive way for Canadians to push the border southwards.

Till
Old Dec 18, 2010, 10:20 am

With apologies to the gentlemen of the forum, but it is part of a larger topic of how women are treated at US airports these days. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...l#post15475463
Add ob tampons Ultra to the list - apparently discontinued in the US but still available in Germany under 'super plus' and available as a similar house brand around Europe.

And Überraschungseier are still being sold in the transborder (ie US only) areas of Canadian airports!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.