Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Things to buy in Germany - unavailable in the USA

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2009, 8:50 am

Programs: LH FTL, BA Blue, UA Corpse
Originally Posted by exbayern
[...] no shoes to be easily found in my size in Germany, and far cheaper to purchase my preferred brands in America.
You're a big gal, eh???
Old Dec 5, 2009, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by fradoc
You're a big gal, eh???
I'm quite tall thank you, and have the properly proportioned sized feet to go with my height.

It does get quite depressing to shop in Asia where the largest shoe size is often 5 sizes smaller than what I wear!

Now, back to the subject at hand -

Blätterkrokant!

Who has seen it in America? I know that Lindt and Milka make a version but I haven't seen it for sale in America; the other companies I don't think sell in America at all.

Desperately seeking please.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 9:41 pm

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz

Tempo as mentioned, and in general small packages of tissue which are common in the rest of the world but not in America, regardless of brand.
FWIW--I get multipacks of the small tissues at Trader Joes. The Champignon cheese at TJ's is about half the price charged for it at Whole Foods and Harris Teeter.

Last edited by youreadyfreddie; Dec 5, 2009 at 9:51 pm
Old Dec 6, 2009, 1:54 am
Original Poster

I'm quite tall thank you, and have the properly proportioned sized feet to go with my height.

It does get quite depressing to shop in Asia where the largest shoe size is often 5 sizes smaller than what I wear!

Now, back to the subject at hand -

Blätterkrokant!

Who has seen it in America? I know that Lindt and Milka make a version but I haven't seen it for sale in America; the other companies I don't think sell in America at all.

Desperately seeking please.
Wow! Blaetterkrokant. Yes, that's rare here. And I love that stuff. I think I have seen it at Central Market here in Austin around X-mas or Easter from Lindt. I will check again soon and let you know.

Till
Old Dec 8, 2009, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by tfar
Wow! Blaetterkrokant. Yes, that's rare here. And I love that stuff. I think I have seen it at Central Market here in Austin around X-mas or Easter from Lindt. I will check again soon and let you know.

Till
Whenever I travel to Germany it's birkenstocks and Alt Bier from dusseldorf. Stock up!
Old Dec 13, 2009, 10:42 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, &c.
I love this thread-- I'm glad I'm not the only one bringing back multipacks of Tempos!

I spend too much money on cosmetics and bath products. I buy a lot of Vichy and Roche-Posay products in pharmacies-- especially sunscreens. You can get both brands in the US now, but a more limited selection, and the good sunscreens still aren't here.

I love the Dresdner Essenz bath salts (at Mueller and DM), especially the lavender.

I bring back lots of bath gels (Duschgel), usually cheapie ones from Mueller or DM. The range of scents is much better; in America, they are too sickly sweet. I love the French brand Petit Marseillais, but that seems to have disappeared from German stores (I rarely travel to France but I'm often in Germany).

I also stock up on Oetker vanilla sugar, Sachertorteglasur, jam, the "tomato-mozarella" seasoning, and dish brushes with wooden handles (I can get them for a Euro in Germany; I only see them in the US at Williams & Sonoma for $10).
Old Dec 14, 2009, 4:59 am

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Mlle_Mustard
I love this thread-- I'm glad I'm not the only one bringing back multipacks of Tempos!
Are you talking about the pocket/purse size packages? You can buy those from Kleenex anywhere.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 3:12 am

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Originally Posted by MariaSF
Are you talking about the pocket/purse size packages? You can buy those from Kleenex anywhere.
It's not the same. Blow your nose into a Kleenex and you have the mucous through the tissue in your hand, take a Tempo and it does what it is supposed to do.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Omni Gold, Hilton Gold, *Wood Gold
Some of my favorites have been mentioned, but a few haven't:

Dr. Oetker Vainillan Zucker (I'm slightly addicted)
Rittersport
Marzipan
Gumibaerchen
Jil Sander Sun products
Tempo
Labello

I think that covers my main shopping list to bring back.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 6:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, &c.
Originally Posted by supermasterphil
It's not the same. Blow your nose into a Kleenex and you have the mucous through the tissue in your hand, take a Tempo and it does what it is supposed to do.
Thank you, Supermasterphil for the speedy defense. Like I said, it's great to know there are others out there who understand! Although, I must admit, sometimes I buy Zewa Softis.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Funny, I was also thinking how ridiculously fragile those handkerchiefs were that were sold here. I haven't really found good ones, either. The ones I got now are my supermarket's house brand. Nothing special and really not great. Can't blow your nose more than once in them and even that is dangerous.

Does anybody know of a good brand in the US?

It's really interesting to see all the things everyone is listing. Some of them there are viable alternatives like Labello. Sachertorte glazing and Sahnesteif on the other hand are without an alternative really. Dish brushes with wooden handles are indeed stylish because of the old school appeal, but do you think they work better? I've got an ergonomic plastic one where each bristle has little nobs on it. The thing works great. Cost was $3-4 at the supermarket. It's the best dish brush I've had so far.

Till
Old Dec 18, 2009, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by tfar
Funny, I was also thinking how ridiculously fragile those handkerchiefs were that were sold here. I haven't really found good ones, either. The ones I got now are my supermarket's house brand. Nothing special and really not great. Can't blow your nose more than once in them and even that is dangerous.
Till

But isn't that our 'use it more than once' environmental mentality butting up against the 'use it only once' hygeine paranoia? I am quite certain that more than a few readers are shuddering at us blowing more than once, or 'storing' a tissue for a later repeated use.

http://www.puffs.com/en_US/tissues/u...t-strong.shtml claims to be 2x stronger (stronger than what? the original? is that Tempo strength? I don't know)

On an unrelated note, Cost Plus World Market seems to have raised their prices quite a bit. I just purchased an 8 pack of ordinary Niederegger for $5,99 on sale They had Bahlsen (overly sweet) Christmas assortments for $4,99 a packet. I remember them being fairly reasonable in past.

Various sellers on Amazon have Tempo for sale. Note that these are 7 to a packet, not 10 as I am used to seeing in Germany and in Asia. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...JSDWXEEM30KWMJ
Another seller has one packet for $0,55 although there is some confusion if that is a 7 pack or a 10 pack. The shipping however adds substantially to the cost.

Last edited by exbayern; Dec 18, 2009 at 9:58 pm Reason: Added Amazon links
Old Dec 19, 2009, 4:22 am

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
But isn't that our 'use it more than once' environmental mentality butting up against the 'use it only once' hygeine paranoia? I am quite certain that more than a few readers are shuddering at us blowing more than once, or 'storing' a tissue for a later repeated use.
I guess it depends how much there is. I'd be happy with an US tissue if it would at least hold one sneezing or nose blowing without falling apart and having the mucous in my hand. Mucous in my hand, now talk about hygiene..
Old Dec 28, 2009, 1:24 am

Programs: LH FTL, BA Blue, UA Corpse
The terminus technicus is durchschnupfsicher. Now try an english translation as compact. Go figure.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 4:08 am

Programs: Currently without any status :(
I just check but sadly enough amazon.de and some others do not send internationally.

Originally Posted by fradoc
The terminus technicus is durchschnupfsicher. Now try an english translation as compact. Go figure.
You are mean! But yes, that is advertisement speak for "ours hold longer"

Originally Posted by Kathrin
I should open a mail order service, there seems to be a market for our German products beyond the pond.
Kathrin, the problem with that is probably the same why most things are not available in the US: restrictive product laws and such. Probably with mail order you would be reliable for some of that when sending of.

But this is flyertalk, so you should find enough people doing their mileage runs to Frankfurt and co - just bribe them to bring you stuff with them. Now we just need a German 'to airport lounge' delivery service and we get rid of the packing costs and everything else.

[Did I mention I live in Lübeck where you do get Niederegger right of the production line ]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.