Things to buy in Germany - unavailable in the USA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Things to buy in Germany - unavailable in the USA

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2013, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by exbayern
On a side note, I switched from Dentagard to Colgate (it's the herbal version of Colgate) and had really sore teeth.
FWIW, I solved the sore teeth problem by using a flouride mouthwash after brushing and rinsing and NT rinsing that out of my mouth. As always, YMMV.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 12:37 am

Thanks. I bought the Colgate at Boots, and after I noticed an odd sensation googled it. Seems like I am not alone, thousands reported similar reactions.

I'm still trying to find Dentagard or the same product under a different name made by Colgate (green, or white, herbal)

My teeth feel fine now that I switched back to Dentagard, and the dentist said they are in good shape, so I am going to think that it was the version of Colgate which I purchased.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 12:48 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by chollie
Toothpaste in 100 ml tubes (fits in my 3-1-1 bag).
Sadly some TSA think 90ml is the norm, so beware!
Old Nov 5, 2013, 11:41 pm

Programs: lh sen
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Nutella is Italian BTW (Ferrero) and Knorr (like Milka) belongs to Kraft foods

But the ingredients and the recipe for Nutella produced by Ferrero in Germany are different to the one produced in Italy. The italian version is much sweeter. Nutella for US is produced in Ontario, Canada.

The german Nutella contains 13 % hazel nuts, the (former) east german brand Nudossi contains 36 % hazel nuts. So give next time Nudossi a try!

Old Nov 5, 2013, 11:51 pm

Programs: lh sen
Rimowa suitcases seems to be cheaper in Germany and the choice is bigger. Our US family members buy on every trip at least 4 Rimowas. They are kind of addict.

:-)
Old Nov 6, 2013, 4:14 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
Originally Posted by carpetbagger
But the ingredients and the recipe for Nutella produced by Ferrero in Germany are different to the one produced in Italy. The italian version is much sweeter. Nutella for US is produced in Ontario, Canada.

The german Nutella contains 13 % hazel nuts, the (former) east german brand Nudossi contains 36 % hazel nuts. So give next time Nudossi a try!

I would advise to try Zentis Nusspli that IMO compared with nutella is a better quality product and has a bit better taste. It's available at every supermarket but comes in plastic pots instead of glass jars. Zentis is one of the better quality jam/marmelade producers in germany.

And to add: If you are the jam/marmelade type: try to get some Simmler jam (not available in every supermarket) - everybody I tell to try says that especially the "dreierlei Gsälz" (a mix of red berry jams) is very good.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 6:04 pm

This is an old post but thought I would add and clear up the Mercedes pricing

So a while back someone was mentioning how the cost of Mercedes are cheaper in the states than in germany and was comparing the cost of the msrp on a C63 amg, and how it was significantly more money in germany than in the states....well, the truth is that MOST Mercedes Benz vehicle are going to be cheaper in germany. I used to work for a mercedes dealer in oregon and we frequently had customers do what was called a euro delivery. This is when the customer would fly to Germany, purchase the vehicle of their choice, drive the vehicle around Germany and have a vacation, then return the vehicle to Mercedes and the vehicle would then be shipped to the U.S. dealer that they choose. The reason people would do this is because for what it would cost them to purchase the car outright at a U.S. Mercedes dealership, they could pay for flights, hotel, fuel, food as well as the price of the car in germany. They would get an amazing vacation along with an awesome car purchase story. Now, this applies to all of the Mercedes models for the exception of the AMG models, because the AMG models are actually assembled in the U.S.A.! So when it comes to the U.S. market, the AMG cars are already in the states, whereas the non AMG models have to be shipped and imported into the U.S.....same for the AMG cars in germany, they have to be shipped and imported into Germany. The shipping and importing makes the cost of the vehicle significantly higher. So, if you're from Germany and want an AMG, go buy it from the states and arrange to have it shipped home....likewise, if you're from the U.S. and are looking at a non AMG model, head over to Germany and do a euro delivery and go on a vacation that you will never forget. Only downside to either side is that you must have the full purchase price. Unfortunately you're unable to finance the vehicle until it reaches the states. At that point then you could take out a loan on the vehicle, but you have to pay for it in full until it made it home. Hope this clears that up and possibly helps someone out. I'm actually boarding a plane in about 15.5 hours and heading to Germany to see some friends and attend octoberfest 2015 in munich!
Old Sep 23, 2015, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA, LH, AS, AB
Originally Posted by Hoffmikeman
So a while back someone was mentioning how the cost of Mercedes are cheaper in the states than in germany and was comparing the cost of the msrp on a C63 amg, and how it was significantly more money in germany than in the states....well, the truth is that MOST Mercedes Benz vehicle are going to be cheaper in germany. I used to work for a mercedes dealer in oregon and we frequently had customers do what was called a euro delivery. This is when the customer would fly to Germany, purchase the vehicle of their choice, drive the vehicle around Germany and have a vacation, then return the vehicle to Mercedes and the vehicle would then be shipped to the U.S. dealer that they choose. The reason people would do this is because for what it would cost them to purchase the car outright at a U.S. Mercedes dealership, they could pay for flights, hotel, fuel, food as well as the price of the car in germany. They would get an amazing vacation along with an awesome car purchase story. Now, this applies to all of the Mercedes models for the exception of the AMG models, because the AMG models are actually assembled in the U.S.A.! So when it comes to the U.S. market, the AMG cars are already in the states, whereas the non AMG models have to be shipped and imported into the U.S.....same for the AMG cars in germany, they have to be shipped and imported into Germany. The shipping and importing makes the cost of the vehicle significantly higher. So, if you're from Germany and want an AMG, go buy it from the states and arrange to have it shipped home....likewise, if you're from the U.S. and are looking at a non AMG model, head over to Germany and do a euro delivery and go on a vacation that you will never forget. Only downside to either side is that you must have the full purchase price. Unfortunately you're unable to finance the vehicle until it reaches the states. At that point then you could take out a loan on the vehicle, but you have to pay for it in full until it made it home. Hope this clears that up and possibly helps someone out. I'm actually boarding a plane in about 15.5 hours and heading to Germany to see some friends and attend octoberfest 2015 in munich!
Sorry. You're wrong. MB Euro delivery is buying a car at US prices and taking delivery in Germany. It is 100% managed by MB USA (not Daimler AG).

You're also buying a US Spec Merc (amber corners/flat mirrors/different headlight pattern/etc) not a Euro/International Spec Merc. It must be exported within 6 months of delivery (hence the Zoll red plate versus the normal number plate).
Old Sep 24, 2015, 7:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Hoffmikeman
I used to work for a mercedes dealer in oregon and we frequently had customers do what was called a euro delivery. This is when the customer would fly to Germany, purchase the vehicle of their choice, drive the vehicle around Germany and have a vacation, then return the vehicle to Mercedes and the vehicle would then be shipped to the U.S. dealer that they choose. The reason people would do this is because for what it would cost them to purchase the car outright at a U.S. Mercedes dealership, they could pay for flights, hotel, fuel, food as well as the price of the car in germany. They would get an amazing vacation along with an awesome car purchase story.
This is completely wrong. You don't buy any old car you like, you buy a car that has been built for the US market and pick it up in Stuttgart. It's quite common and fun (I did it with every Mercedes I've ever owned). But it's not a German spec car, it is US spec (exhaust, lighting, etc etc). You get special oval plates which are good for a few months and then need to export it to the US. You can't do this grey market stuff that you're describing.

Now, this applies to all of the Mercedes models for the exception of the AMG models, because the AMG models are actually assembled in the U.S.A.! So when it comes to the U.S. market, the AMG cars are already in the states, whereas the non AMG models have to be shipped and imported into the U.S.....same for the AMG cars in germany, they have to be shipped and imported into Germany. The shipping and importing makes the cost of the vehicle significantly higher. So, if you're from Germany and want an AMG, go buy it from the states and arrange to have it shipped home....likewise, if you're from the U.S. and are looking at a non AMG model, head over to Germany and do a euro delivery and go on a vacation that you will never forget.
Also wrong. AMG is based in Affalterbach, near Stuttgart. AMG models are not assembled in the US.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 7:48 am

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
OK, this may clarify the whole European Delivery/Overseas Delivery/Factory Delivery question.

1.) You don't buy the car overseas
2.) You order the car (most imports from Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, and Volvo are eligible but some specialty models may not be available or may not be discounted) at your local dealer (hopefully from someone who knows the program's ins and outs)
3.) You plan your trip
4.) You arrive, take delivery in a fairly festive and fun manner (I've done this about 15 times), and drive off.
5.) You drop your car off at the shipper's agent
6.) You obsessively follow your car's ship's every move across the Atlantic, hoping it's not the TriColor II
7.) Your car arrives at the port, is inspected, possibly repaired and updated, and makes its way to the dealership for redelivery.
8.) You show up and drive off.

Above from
The Official Guide to Audi, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, and Volvo European Delivery Programs
Every year, thousands of travelers go to Europe and return with a larger-than-average souvenir: a brand new automobile. Indeed, since the 1960s, several hundred thousand Americans have visited Gothenburg, Ingolstadt, Munich, and Stuttgart with that goal in mind, mixing in a driving experience while taking in the local food, world-famous museums and art galleries, and the Gemütlichkeit of western Europe.

These tourists aren’t importing the cars themselves nor are they purchasing the cars in Europe. They are taking advantage of a little-known program referred to as European Delivery that lets them purchase a new car in the United States at a discount, pick it up at the factory, drive it around, and have it magically appear back in the States roughly six weeks later.

In the past 12 months or so, I’ve traveled to Europe three times with the specific task of taking delivery of a brand new car at a factory delivery center. In two cases, the car was for me; in the most recent case, I accompanied a friend on his delivery adventure....

<SNIP>
Above appeared in FBT, where I serve as Ed.Dir.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by jspira
4.) You arrive, take delivery in a fairly festive and fun manner (I've done this about 15 times), and drive off.
I always take my car and drive off. They always tell me things like "touch your car for the picture" etc. Come on, it´s a car! Expensive at the moment, not worth much after 3 or 4 years.....

But yes, they try.....
Old Aug 31, 2016, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by tfar
I just had an idea of compiling a list of stuff that one can buy in Germany that is either much cheaper there or that is as good as unavailable in the USA.

It is one of my greatest pleasures when I can tell my European friends that I just bought this pair of Timberland shoes for $50 where they pay $200. Of course, it is nice to bring them things, too. On the way back, it is great to do the same things for my own benefit and that of my American friends.

Keep in mind that despite the high Euro one can deduct the sales tax with an export slip. So that's about 19% off.

A very travel related item would be suitcases. Rimowa, Travelite and Titanium luggage are all much cheaper in Germany.

In the items of daily life one can get Burgol and Saphir shoe polish and accessories here (one is Swiss and one is Spanish) that are hard to come by in the US.

What are your examples?

Till

Please tell me where did you find timberland boots for $50 in Germany. City and address.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 2:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by Anish Shah
Please tell me where did you find timberland boots for $50 in Germany. City and address.
I think the poster was stating that the Timberland shoes cost $50 in the U.S. but $200 in Europe.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Fanjet
I think the poster was stating that the Timberland shoes cost $50 in the U.S. but $200 in Europe.
I guess this is right. Many things are much cheaper in the US. Of course I wouldn´t try to buy an Armani or Zegna suit in the US
Old Sep 6, 2016, 2:14 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by offerendum
I guess this is right. Many things are much cheaper in the US. Of course I wouldn´t try to buy an Armani or Zegna suit in the US
Out of curiosity, why would there be any difference between buying a given Armani suit in the Armani store in New York vs. Frankfurt vs. Milan?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.